User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #121
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,362
Great thread.
Many have named bikes as boring, then went on to complain about brakes, seats, performance etc.
To me "boring" means "no challenge", no "excitement", etc.
I had an Ariel Square Four....couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! Awful brakes. Made me walk home......usually. Boring? Nope.
My present ride will top 230 kph. Brakes are very good. Handling, just fine. Always gets me where I'm going. Always starts. Never needs anything but fuel and oil. This is "boring" to me. A Bandit. Begs the question. I "boring" necessarily a bad thing....?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 PM   #122
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Not surprising, but kind of disappointing how many equate less speed or power to "boring".

I have found that the most interesting, entertaining, and engaging bikes I have owned or ridden were not performance orientated, even what would be considered "underpowered" by many.

I like to joke that on my Ural, 0 to 60 is timed with a calender not a stopwatch, and needs to be done in a zip code not a 1/4 mile.
Sometimes I do wish it had more power, but overall it is a minor consideration as 95% of my daily and recreational riding is well within it's limitations.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #123
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,470
My DL1000 VStrom is appliance-like, but not particularly boring on Kentucky's secondary and rural roads. When I'm trapped into riding on flat, smooth and straight roads with my Harley-owning friends - then the boredom is mind-numbing.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 04:10 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #124
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,496
Doesn't seem to be any dirt bikes in this thread...
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #125
SmithSwede
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Most boring was a 2005 Yamaha FJR. Just too big, too smooth, boring, turbine like engine; too much plastic and windscreen. The only "exciting" thing about it was moving the beast around the garage trying not to get a hernia. Or riding it in the summer wondering when the engine heat would set your pants on fire. I know lots of people love that bike. More power to them! But man I hated mine.

Contrary to an earlier poster, my Ninja 250 is one of the most entertaining, least boring bikes I've ever had. Amuses me every time I ride it. Go figure.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #126
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Some of these replies I find funny. Some say "bike x was boring/scary/shit brakes/suspension" ?
I will say that a bike has crap motor, suspension, brakes, engine, but will say that makes it kind of fun to ride.
I think danger without getting hurt IS fun, otherwise we all would just drive cars.
Riding my friend Ray's 1972 Honda XL175 on the highway at night when it struggle to hit 55 with me(130 lbs) was one of the funnest rides I remember in the last few years. When traffic is flying past me instead of me flying past it, it is scary. And fun.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #127
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmoney View Post
I think danger without getting hurt IS fun, otherwise we all would just drive cars.
Huh?

I don't get it.

I'm a full time rider, and don't have a car because I don't like them.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #128
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,216
Riding any bike in the dirt is fun, no matter what bike really.
The worse the bike the less boring it is anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Doesn't seem to be any dirt bikes in this thread...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #129
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmoney View Post
Riding my friend Ray's 1972 Honda XL175 on the highway at night when it struggle to hit 55 with me(130 lbs) was one of the funnest rides I remember in the last few years. When traffic is flying past me instead of me flying past it, it is scary. And fun.
I toured CA, AZ, and NV on one in '72. Best summer of my life!

Average speed was a little lower back then and it was still slower than average traffic.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #130
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
Super capable road going tourer, rode it hard, but it still felt like a car to me.....a BMW R1200RT
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #131
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
My 97 ninja 250, first bike, love it. But after a month... Bye bye !!!

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #132
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Super capable road going tourer, rode it hard, but it still felt like a car to me.....a BMW R1200RT
Same here. Wonderful bike! Totally awesome appliance for covering lots of miles, but still totally lacking in soul and character.

I rode one for 400 miles one day, a rental this was. It was nice, by all accounts very luxurious, very comfortable, but it felt so isolated that I was thinking "Shit, maybe I should have just rented a convertible, considering how much I just spent..."

The next time I rent a bike, it's going to be a Ducati.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #133
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
A few thoughts.
That is very odd about the DL1000 as I have an SV1000 which is basically the same engine and frame and it is absolutely thrilling to ride.

As far as the Ninja 250 goes, here is my theory. They are quite easy to learn to ride because of the mellow power and low seat. So once a newer rider starts hitting the throttle stop frequently they think they need a bigger bike.

However the wee Ninja still has a LOT to teach riders in my estimation. Put a set of sticky tires on it, don't be afraid to rev it and there are not many situations where it will let you down. (passing at 60+ is the only one that comes to mind)

I have 30+ years of experience riding motorcycles and consider myself a competent rider and the Ninja 250 is one of my favorite bikes. Absolutely full of character and in no way boring.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #134
Geoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Honda Gold Wing. Yawn.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #135
bullittman281
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I'll bite.
I haven't rode too many bikes but the least inspiring was a first gen KLR 650. slow, heavy, uninspiring. Having said that I have a jones for one. Not sure why, but I kinda do.

As far as character, I don't know that I would call flaws a form character. Those are just flaws. Character would be things like inspiring engine noise or an exciting power band involving loads of mid-range power, like a big bore thumper. Prefect flat power bands, silent, buzz free engines lack character.
bullittman281 is offline   Reply With Quote