Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #136
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Wheels!!!

Oh yeah....

WHEELS!

New bearings and seals, new tubes. Old tires, but they're pretty good.

And oh yeah, I figured out my green wire issue. It's that weird quad-receptacle thing buried in the wiring boot.... anyone who has been in there probably knows what I'm talking about.

-Christian
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #137
LandsVW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
Thanks. Not sure why I didn't think of that. My bike has never had that switch. For some reason I thought the switch would plug directly into the tail-light pigtail... but that makes more sense.

I guess it's time to go on eBay and get one of those....
Yeah, wouldn't have known that but I am installing XL600 wiring harness lights etc. on XR600 bike, so just recently ran across that very plug going to the brake light switch on the XL600. Now I have to fabricate a mount for the XR since it doesn't have the welded piece for the switch to mount.

And.... nice! on the picture w/ wheels! very nice indeed.
LandsVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #138
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 701
I greatly disliked the rear brake light switch mount that was on my 84 XR that has an old Baja Designs dual sport kit.

So, I fabricated a better mount out of angle aluminum. No frame mods on my XR5 as there were already holes in that cross brace piece to bolt the switch mount to.

Photos:

Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #139
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Brake switch bracket looks good. Mine was all bent up, so I might do something similar to what you did.

In other news, I looked at the lower oil screen today....

Very clean. Much like most of the rest of the insides of this engine.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #140
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

With the new cam chain in hand, I put the bottom of the engine back together, and also installed the cam.

The engine is mostly back together now... just gotta do the rocker cover. It's just sitting on the head in this picture.....

I devised a very good way to get the cam chain tensioner into place... but I forgot to take a picture. If I have time later on, I will do a drawing. It worked very well.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #141
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And as you can see in the last post, I have mocked up most of the bike to get a better idea of how it will look. Part of the reason I did this is because I am stepping away from the project for a few days, and just wanted to see how far I've gotten....

Here's another pic:

Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #142
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Thanks. Not sure why I didn't think of that. My bike has never had that switch. For some reason I thought the switch would plug directly into the tail-light pigtail... but that makes more sense.

I guess it's time to go on eBay and get one of those....
I has one. It's old and kinda dirty but it indeed works. If you want let me know.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #143
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
I has one. It's old and kinda dirty but it indeed works. If you want let me know.

Thanks señor. I already done bot one.

Mucho appreciado.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #144
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New side panel design.

Yes it will be more work, but those giant white panels in the last post just don't look right to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #145
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At some point, someone posting on this thread called me patient. It might have happened more than once.

That might be true in some instances, but one thing I cannot stand is waiting for parts in the mail when they are holding up progress.

So.... I have been getting closer and closer to getting the engine re-assembled and put back into the frame. However one thing I have not really paid much attention to is the various shaft seals scattered about the engine. Having read in one of Zombie Stomp's posts somewhere that all shafts seals are replaceable without too much work, EXCEPT for the decompression shaft seal (which requires engine removal, no less!), I decided I'd better investigate that seal before installing the rocker cover. Well guess what? It was visibly trashed.

So I called my local NAPA (which is a very good parts store) and tried to order the seal just using the dimensions, but no luck there. So then I called BikeBandit and after that PartsZilla, and both of them had the part but couldn't get it to me any faster than about 6 days. Enter: IMPATIENCE.

I ordered the seal from PartsZilla, along with some others for good measure, but I already had an alternate approach in mind. What I did was.....

I machined a small ring from aluminum with the same dimensions as the seal. I put a groove for an O-ring on the outside of the aluminum ring, and another O-ring groove on the inside. I then pressed it into the seal recess, using a little silicone on the outside. The ring is near the white arrow. You can see the O-ring on the inside.

I then softened the leading edges of the decompression shaft with a scotchbrite wheel so that they wouldn't tear the internal O-ring on the way in. Softened edges at blue arrows.

I then started thinking that my little seal invention might fail, and if it did then I would be really mad at having to pull the engine to replace the seal. So I welded a small bolt (orange arrow) to the external end of the decompression shaft and fabricated a bracket which engages with this bolt (with appropriate washers and nylock nut) to control the in-and-out-of-the-engine movement of the shaft. The pin which is installed from the inside of the rocker cover which otherwise controls this movement is now obsolete, and I assembled the engine without it.

Here's what it looks like:

Now, if I ever need to replace that seal, I can do it without removing OR opening the engine. Just remove the bracket, pull the shaft, and replace the seal.

I am giving up the automatic decompression cable, but I've read about enough people pulling it off their bikes that I'm not too worried. In the worst case scenario I could add a little collar to the fabricated bracket and get the cable on there again.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #146
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I DID get the engine installed today!

And the carburetors and the exhaust.

However, as soon as I put the exhaust in place I knew I had a problem with the placement of the oil cooler (which was mounted to a bracket I welded on the frame WAY BACK when I was working on the bare-metal frame).

So I had to make up some little arms to re-position the cooler. The advantage is that the cooler is much more out in where the airflow will be, and less likely to be blocked by the front fender. The disadvantage, of course, is that by being more out in the airflow it's also more vulnerable. I played around a little with sticking it under the headlights, but it didn't fit there well. So I might end up making a little rock-guard for it...

In this picture you can see the little re-positioning arms holding it in place, and also another view of the decompression shaft retaining bracket:

I also have a problem with the front fender hitting the exhaust headers. The fender is from a 1988 BMW R100GS. I will have to trim it.
OK, good night.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #147
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
At some point, someone posting on this thread called me patient. It might have happened more than once.

That might be true in some instances, but one thing I cannot stand is waiting for parts in the mail when they are holding up progress.

So.... I have been getting closer and closer to getting the engine re-assembled and put back into the frame. However one thing I have not really paid much attention to is the various shaft seals scattered about the engine. Having read in one of Zombie Stomp's posts somewhere that all shafts seals are replaceable without too much work, EXCEPT for the decompression shaft seal (which requires engine removal, no less!), I decided I'd better investigate that seal before installing the rocker cover. Well guess what? It was visibly trashed.

So I called my local NAPA (which is a very good parts store) and tried to order the seal just using the dimensions, but no luck there. So then I called BikeBandit and after that PartsZilla, and both of them had the part but couldn't get it to me any faster than about 6 days. Enter: IMPATIENCE.

I ordered the seal from PartsZilla, along with some others for good measure, but I already had an alternate approach in mind. What I did was.....

I machined a small ring from aluminum with the same dimensions as the seal. I put a groove for an O-ring on the outside of the aluminum ring, and another O-ring groove on the inside. I then pressed it into the seal recess, using a little silicone on the outside. The ring is near the white arrow. You can see the O-ring on the inside.

I then softened the leading edges of the decompression shaft with a scotchbrite wheel so that they wouldn't tear the internal O-ring on the way in. Softened edges at blue arrows.

I then started thinking that my little seal invention might fail, and if it did then I would be really mad at having to pull the engine to replace the seal. So I welded a small bolt (orange arrow) to the external end of the decompression shaft and fabricated a bracket which engages with this bolt (with appropriate washers and nylock nut) to control the in-and-out-of-the-engine movement of the shaft. The pin which is installed from the inside of the rocker cover which otherwise controls this movement is now obsolete, and I assembled the engine without it.

Here's what it looks like:

Now, if I ever need to replace that seal, I can do it without removing OR opening the engine. Just remove the bracket, pull the shaft, and replace the seal.

I am giving up the automatic decompression cable, but I've read about enough people pulling it off their bikes that I'm not too worried. In the worst case scenario I could add a little collar to the fabricated bracket and get the cable on there again.
Thats bloody genius.
Just wondering why you didnt fit the oil cooler to the other side of the engine, clear of the headers?
Id be worried about radiant heat from the headers effecting the oil cooler temperature.

Homerb screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 05:44 AM
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #148
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Just wondering why you didnt fit the oil cooler to the other side of the engine, clear of the headers?
Id be worried about radiant heat from the headers effecting the oil cooler temperature.
Great question.

The simplest answer is that I never really thought about it.

I'm sure that my intellectual laziness was influenced by the fact that the previous owner (poorly) mounted the cooler on the right side of the bike. And HIS decision was probably influenced by the fact that the plumbing is somewhat biased over to that side. And back when I was working on the frame, I welded on a bracket for the cooler on the right side of the frame.

But none of those are very good reasons! So I will have another look and see if the other side of the bike would work better. The bummer is that I have no bracket on that side.

If it proves to be a big pain in the butt, then that's another reason to wrap the headers, I guess.

Cheers,
Christian
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #149
crobox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Homerb, I just looked up where you live. Looks nice!

I toured with Big Day Out in 2009. A few friends and I saw the whole country (or the big cities and a bit of rural Western Australia anyway) and I personally fell in love with it.

Good on ya, mate!

-C
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #150
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Coming along nicely. Dig that decomp trick and the motor looks good with the bare cylinder and head.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote