User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #46
bimmerx2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
It wasn't me but...

Heading down the road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon just before sunset when a guy on what I think was a Connie just FLEW past me going the other way. I say flew because he we easily pushing triple digits. I waved and 'thought' I noticed his left pannier open. I wasn't sure because from the front it was just a little sliver of plastic sticking out and at that speed I just got a very brief glimpse. About a minute later I see a lone sock in my lane but didn't think anything of it. A couple of miles later; a t-shirt and pair of tidy-whities laying in my lane. I realized that it was indeed his pannier open and he was leaving a crumb trail of clothes. In the next couple of miles I passed by various items of laundry spread out with a little donation to nature every couple of hundred yards. I knew if I turned around there was no way I was catching him unless he stopped and in that case he was going to find out what happened anyway.
'08 Honda CBR 1000RR (get outta da way!)
'05 Honda CBR 600RR (trackday toy)
bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #47
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
^^^this is why i triple check my bags when on the road.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #48
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Never (nor from theft). The only 'incident' with luggage was a rain cover melting on my Oxford panniers. Back in the days before I discovered Kriega, when I used crap luggage that wasn't inherently waterproof.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #49
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Riding the CBR up to VIR when they still had the AMA race up there.
I managed to lose my free tickets on the way there. (My jacket pocket was zipped, but the ticket wasn't in it. I don't know if it was unzipped and I remembered to zip it after riding, or what. )
Bought a one day pass, figured I'd just skip the second day.

So once there run into some friends one had his pass for the second day that he wasn't going to use.

I put it in my tank bag. I never lose things out of that.
Well, I don't zip it shut, out goes the ticket. I don't realize it until I've ridden back up for the second day.

And had to buy a SECOND ticket.

hscrugby screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 11:15 AM
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #50
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
I had a Yamaha YDS3 250cc back in High School. One morning I lost some school books off the back of the bike. The next day the school office called to tell me my books were returned and I could pick them up at the office. A good citizen helped me out,I wish I could have thanked them some way.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #51
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 311
Lost an ally pannier lid that I'd forgotten to fasten.. Luckily it bounced down the road and missed following traffic

The panniers and lids would have survived armageddon.. So no damage to the lid either
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #52
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I had a set of individual Etalon micrometers blow out of a tank bag, 3 separate little hard cases, and if you know micrometers, those are the most expensive ones you can buy. I never did find the 0-1 inch. The 1-2 and 2-3 were untouched and still perfect (they were nearly brand new). My buddy bought a brand new H-D touring something or another, and one of the saddlebag lids was gone, and the helmet that was in there, when he got home. Never found either. And it was one of the custom painted bikes, but just a standard helmet.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #53
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,556
Lost a perfectly good booger once.

Spent way too much time admiring it.... blew off my finger before I could eat it!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #54
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
One bright summer morning in the not-so-distant past, I was riding my Trail 90 to work and had my (soft) lunch box hap-haphazardly strapped to the spacious rear rack with man's most hated, yet, loved, invention: the bungee cord...

I was about a mile from work, heard a loud pop, and looked in the mirror to see my lunch box bouncing down the four-lane. I flipped a U-ey just in time to see it get run-over...

I went out to lunch that day...

The hook on the cord failed (popped off of the cord itself) and taught me a valuble lesson: use more bungee cords!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #55
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Was tootling along Haydon's Road in SW London recently when I was passed closely and at speed by a scooter rider on a mission. His top box lid was flapping and as he climbed the railway bridge near Wimbledon a plastic clipboard/folder full of documents bounced out. Despite feeling a bit hacked off at the way he passed I thought I'd inform him of his loss at the next red lights, but instead of stopping at them he rode straight on through...

Can't recall a luggage loss of my own, but this comes to mind...

Way back in 1988 I rode to Belgium to see the world cycling road race championships with my wife (then girlfriend) riding pillion on my Kawa KLR600. My friend Adrian also had a KLR600 and turned up at my house ready to roll with a mate of his - let's call him Steve - on his own back seat. Somehow or other I had to find and lend them a pair of throw-over panniers in which to place their baggage. In order to prevent the high-level exhaust from melting the right-hand pannier, we placed an old bunched-up piece of rag between them.

Approaching the M2 motorway on the M25, I noticed that Adrian was not as close behind as he had been. Checking in the mirror, I could not see him and pulled on to the hard shoulder. As we got off the bike, I was able to watch at a distance of some 200m his green machine as it veered onto the shoulder with smoke billowing from the rear. Long before it came to a stop, Steve could be seen to leap off.

As I ran back towards them I observed Adrian and Steve jumping up and down on something in the verge, which turned out to be the panniers. Turns out that Steve had become aware of flames around the underside of his right thigh as the bike cruised at 80mph...

Not sure whether the rag would have caught fire anyway but I forgot I'd previously used it to wipe up a spilt tin of Evo-Stik glue. Amazingly, their quick thinking ensured that only a small hole had been burned in the pannier and most of Steve's clothing (he was given the right-hand pannier) was undamaged. I can't recall how we got around the problem of preventing the exhaust from melting the pannier, but we probably just chucked the rag...

Great race; Maurizio Fondriest won after Steve Bauer put local hero Claude Criquielion into the barriers in the final sprint.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #56
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Riding the CBR up to VIR when they still had the AMA race up there.

I'm reporting you to BAR Bureau of Acronym Reduction.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #57
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 178
Laugh

This summer in/near Delta Junction, AK I lost my toiletry bag. Same trip, one day away from home I stopped in Vernal UT to pick up a quart of oil. Got to the bike, set my wallet down between tent and top case, and topped off the reservoir. Drove out of the parking lot and apparently my wallet FLEW off the back of my bike and was run over several times by large trucks. A nice lady and her two kids ran out to get it, called me, and met me at a truck stop to return it to me. I sent the family a cotton candy maker for Christmas!

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #58
outlaws justice
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
I Was coming back with the truck towing training bikes (13) from West Point traveling across the Thruway when I drove past a top box. I pulled over and walked back to get it. Got home, it was locked so I took a punch and drove out the hinge wire, contents were clothes and such along with a cell phone. The Phone was locked so I called the carrior pulled the batter and gave them the number. They contacted the owner of the phone who called me. He was in his 30's going to school in Syracuse, and needed his stuff very badly. I got it to him and all was well with the world. ( I told him How I got into his bag and got in touch with him. No damage to the top box and he was very happy)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #59
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Motokat's Undies

Motokat and I were part of a group riding from Portland to Boise a couple of years ago. We'd stopped for fuel somewhere in central Oregon where she had opened her bags for some reason. She had a small, but awesome, set of aftermarket hard luggage on her bike, but I can't remember the brand.

The newly-fueled group breezed out of the gas station, me riding a distant sweep on my Tiger, and accelerated to warp. Suddenly the roadway was littered with ladies' underthings. I checked the horizon ahead for whatever it was that had blown a woman clean out of her clothes, because I definitely wanted one, as well as the now-nekkid woman. What I saw was Motokat and the group on the side picking up her clothes; she'd forgotten to relatch her sidecase lid. I performed a U-ey and stopped in the roadway to pick up her errant lingerie. Maybe I'm a good Samaritan, but I'm not a nice guy. I strung the lacy objects on my mirrors while the couple in the Chevrolet camper truck behind me laughed uproariously.

When I rode up to the rest of the group with my booty, she refused to let me ride the rest of the way with her undies stretched between my mirrors.
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #60
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,075
Back in 92, flat out on my ZZR 1100, i checked the mirrors and saw something bouncing on the road. I realized it was my bag with a steel thermos and lunch in a plastic container. I turned around and had a good laugh when i saw the canvas bag, it was in shreds with pieces of my lunch strewn about. It took me awhile to find the thermos, it was ok, coffee still in it. Last summer, lost a liter bottle of motorex oil, expensive, it was strapped to the back of my 990, also lost a nice wind proof undershirt, also last summer. I might invest in a top box.
About loosing thing's, a funny incidence happened to me, driving home from a friend's place the other night. Pitch black night, and the area has lot of moose crossing the road, so i've got my eyes peeled. Up ahead i see this greyish big lump of thing in the on coming lane, i slowed the car right down, it was a fucking car trailer, sitting in the middle of the road. The hitch had broken off without the driver noticing anything. He must have been on something, not realizing the trailer gone
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote