Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #61
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
I left my wallet on my rear bag after getting gas and rode home less [then a mile away] checked my pockets freaked out flew back to the gas station ..nothing there..!!..Went home and somebody had dropped it off at my house..!!..They found it on the ground.....That was cool..

Tried the bungy thing dualsporting for a little while...

I had that backpack fall of a few times..Put a rear bag on or in this case soft cooler.... Works great..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #62
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
I lost a girlfriend off the back once, but she wasn't that good anyway! lol
I told her I was leaving and when I got home she wasn't there, I didn't bother going back because I knew someone else would have picked it up by that time. (I was right too)

My buddy and I did take a really wild ride through Monument Valley a few years back on a Connie and an ST1100.
We had an awesome ride, about 35 miles through some really inappropriate terrain for road bikes.
When we stopped to congratulate each other my buddy said, " where is your left side case?"
It took many hours but we found it, very dirty and worse for wear but still intact.
I had to strap it on for the rest of the trip, but it was worth it!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #63
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
I had a Pelican 1520 with Happy-Trails Mounts hung from Happy-Trails SU racks on my KLR part company. it went rolling down a dirt road on it's own. It made a hell of a racket when it came loose and I was able to stop right away and hook it back up.

I also had a plastic grocery bad of assort stuff I was going to eat for dinner jump out of a bungee net. the bike behind me ran over my beanie-weenies!
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #64
blues bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Lost and Found

Was on the wr250r going up Cinamon Pass, west of Lake City, Co. when I spotted a shiny object in the gravel. Stopped and picked up a Kick starter. Threw it in my tank bag for a souvenier. When I got up the pass and met up with my buddies, come to find it fell off Steves Ktm. Saved him a few bucks, or more.
blues bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #65
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,051
Was camped on the beach on Fraser Island (Google it) back in Easter 1974. I had taken my Land Rover and one of my mates had his Yamaha 100cc trail bike. We ran out of gas for the stove, so I tied the gas cylinder on the back of the Yamaha and rode 10 miles back down the beach to a little village to have it refilled. Got off the bike.. no gas cylinder.

Rode back over the way i had come and found the cylinder in a rock pool in about a foot of water. It had fallen off the bike and rolled down the beach into the pool. Retrieved it and continued on .. great trip that was !

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #66
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aRover View Post

Motokat and I were part of a group riding from Portland to Boise a couple of years ago.
This is the annual thing, yeah?

Do you guys (the group in general, not you or motokat in particular) ever fail to have adventures on that trip?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #67
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
This is the annual thing, yeah?

Do you guys (the group in general, not you or motokat in particular) ever fail to have adventures on that trip?
I think we continually surprise ourselves at how much fun can be had before the drinking begins.
2aRover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #68
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Didnt "lose" it but
Right after I got my bike I rode to my home town and did a little riding on the farm . I had wore a small back pack and it was bothering me a little so I figured Id strap it to the back fender for the 50 mile ride back home. I stop at my friends NAPA store take off my pack and lay it on the seat , it falls off I pick it back up and hang it off the rear turn signal . My friend is about 30 years older than me and an old school harley rider from the 60-70s . He checked out my little super sherpa and he has a customer pulls up smoke rolling out from under the hood with a strong oil smell .We popped the hood slowly to find an oil covered engine due to a forgotten oil cap that was on top of the fender under the hood .

I jump on the bike and start heading out of town . I get to the major intersection onto the highway and it hits me , shit I left the pack on the signal but there is nothing I can do mid left turn on to a 4 lane with no where to pull off . I reach back and I can feel the strap but cant get my hand on it .All I can do is ride across the interstate over pass and pull off to the other side .I get half way across the overpass and I here the terrifying sound of cordora catching chain . The pack gets pulled into the chain stopping the rotation of the back wheel The back wheel locks up at about 40mph and I ride it to a stop in my lane (passing) I jump off the bike and drag the bike to the little 1 foot wide concrete median on the over pass . I pull out my leather man and cut the pack out with cars buzzing by at 50 mph inches from the bike including one sport bike . I lift the bike off the ground by pulling against the stand and spin the wheel backward to get peices of material out of every thing . I check the gear and chain all looks ok by the mk1 eyeball , I put on my holy pack now and get back rolling . I ride down the highway about 3 miles and stop in a friends farm field and do a more detailed check over and tweak my turn signal bracket back into place . While I was out there my cell rings , its my friend that runs the napa . "you ok" he asked I said yeah , then he told me he had just remember seeing the pack there and didnt remember me putting it back on or strap it to the bike and was worried that I left it there and took a gravel bath . I told him what happened he laughed and told me thats my lesson and was lucky not to be hurt he told me not to do it again , I told him I would try .

Hawk62cj5 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 11:16 AM
Hawk62cj5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #69
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
It's little long but this is from a 2004 ride report:

After riding along the Bay of Fundy on the highway towards Nova Scotia, I stopped at about six to change into my warmer jacket as I was getting a bit chilly. Unbeknownst to me at the time, when changing jackets, I had placed my wallet on the back of my bike and left it there. As I rode off down the highway, it flew off of my bike and it contents were strewn all over the highway.

Ignorant of the fact that I'd just thrown away my wallet, I took a nice little remote detour down to the Bay of Fundy through Dipper Harbour (Canadian spelling) and Chance Harbour. It was getting late and time to find a campground but I had no Canadian cash so I decided to head into St. John to find an ATM. As I pulled up to the ATM and reached for my now missing wallet, it dawned on me just what I had done. Since I knew exactly where I'd changed jackets, I made a somewhat panicked ride back down the highway and spent the next hour or so combing the sides of the highway for any signs of my wallet. When darkness hit, I was forced to abandon my search. I went to the nearby campground at New River where the two gentlemen there empathized with my story and let me set up camp there despite my lack of funds.

When I'd left Palm Springs, my father had asked me to put a card in my wallet with his number in case of emergency so my first phone call was to him on the remote chance that someone had actually found my wallet. He wasn't home so I then called my brother to explain my nasty little dilemma. Amazingly, by the time I reached my brother, someone had already found the contents of my wallet and called the number on the card my dad had given me.

It turns out that a short while after my wallet had been strewn over the highway, a local truck driver had seen some 20's flying around on the highway and stopped. Since my wallet is just a card holder with a magnetic money clip, everything was strewn about. The truck driver scoured the area around where he'd seen the money and was able to recover everything from my wallet, including all of my money. The only exception is that he was not able to find my drivers license. Not only did he find virtually everything in my wallet but when he got home, his wife had had the incredible foresight to call my credit card companies to let them know that my wallet had been found so that I wouldn't inadvertently cancel my credit cards and leave myself with non-working credit cards. Meanwhile, the nice guys at the guard shack had offered me a sandwich and some cookies

When I called them at around 10:30 local time, the people who'd found my wallet were kind enough to offer to make the 25 minute drive to actually deliver my wallet to me at the campground - which they promptly did. Of course, they refused to accept any reward from me and were actually worried that they might not have found all of my money. I thanked them profusely before returning to my campsite from the campground office. The most ironic part of it all is their last name: NICE. Yes, I'm serious, that was really their last name: Chris & Carol Nice.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #70
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
I lost a case of Miller Magnum off the back of my XL100 right in front of a LEO when I was 15 years old. Then there was the chase that followed. Damn back tire was low and came off throwing me to the pavement.

The LEO's called for permission to search my house and pulled 11 friends out of my house at gun point. I was skipping school and having a party.

My dad threw me out that night, so I had to move in with my mom. I got 4 tickets against my temps. $780.00 in fines and 11 points against my licence when I passed the test...

The worst part was I had to sell my mint 1933 Colt 45 revolver to pay the tickets....

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aRover View Post
I think we continually surprise ourselves at how much fun can be had before the drinking begins.
And we're usually pretty amused watching y'all deal with the hangovers...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #72
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,990
I pulled into a gas station once and found one of my side cases was barely hanging on. A bolt had backed out and this allowed one side of the bag to drop. One good pothole and she would have been gone.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #73
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
It's little long but this is from a 2004 ride report:

: NICE. Yes, I'm serious, that was really their last name: Chris & Carol Nice.
How appropriate! I hope Karma rewards them with something wonderful...
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #74
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,477
My brother in law got something out of my saddle bag in the middle of a long trip, he pulled the latch that held the bag on the bike along with the latches that opened the bag. The latch he neglected to re-latch held the bag to the bike.

Down the hi-way a bit, some dude in a van pulled up beside me blowing his horn and pointing behind him. I looked back just in time to see my bag spinning on the asphalt in perfect line with the car that tagged/clobbered it. It was my cloths bag and my chit flew everywhere. Only laugh I got was the roll of TP that was hit just right and went 30 or so feet in the air and unrolled the whole thing.

ALWAYS CARRY DUCT TAPE... for the unforeseen bag repair

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #75
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I lost a Camelback off the back of my KLR the day I got it. The water bag that is.
I did the same thing on my XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote