Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #76
Richago
Handsome Man

Oddometer: 6
Over Thanksgiving I had my first gear casualty: I lost a lid to my pannier coming back into town early Friday morning for work. It was dark when I left, and an hour and a half in, at first light, I realized it was gone. I got lucky and nothing fell out (I had some shoes on top of the loose bits), and I didn't encounter any angry drivers with a hole in their windshield, but after an hour of looking I gave up and high tailed it home. Once I got my replacement lid I installed drawer locks (McMaster-Carr) in the lids for redundant latching. Even with the hasps unfastened, the locks keep the lids down tight! I've yet to test how weather-proof they really are, though.
Richago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #77
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 387
Back in early 70's I picked up a girl at the beach and she rode around with me for a while on my RD 350. She would not stop talking. I lost her in a crowd of people at another beach, but I should prolly consider that lost baggage.

94 CB 1000 " Big One "
K7 DL 1000
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #78
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
I've lost a passenger or two over the years... Shit happens...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #79
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
It's little long but this is from a 2004 ride report:

After riding along the Bay of Fundy on the highway towards Nova Scotia, I stopped at about six to change into my warmer jacket as I was getting a bit chilly. Unbeknownst to me at the time, when changing jackets, I had placed my wallet on the back of my bike and left it there. As I rode off down the highway, it flew off of my bike and it contents were strewn all over the highway.

Ignorant of the fact that I'd just thrown away my wallet, I took a nice little remote detour down to the Bay of Fundy through Dipper Harbour (Canadian spelling) and Chance Harbour. It was getting late and time to find a campground but I had no Canadian cash so I decided to head into St. John to find an ATM. As I pulled up to the ATM and reached for my now missing wallet, it dawned on me just what I had done. Since I knew exactly where I'd changed jackets, I made a somewhat panicked ride back down the highway and spent the next hour or so combing the sides of the highway for any signs of my wallet. When darkness hit, I was forced to abandon my search. I went to the nearby campground at New River where the two gentlemen there empathized with my story and let me set up camp there despite my lack of funds.

When I'd left Palm Springs, my father had asked me to put a card in my wallet with his number in case of emergency so my first phone call was to him on the remote chance that someone had actually found my wallet. He wasn't home so I then called my brother to explain my nasty little dilemma. Amazingly, by the time I reached my brother, someone had already found the contents of my wallet and called the number on the card my dad had given me.

It turns out that a short while after my wallet had been strewn over the highway, a local truck driver had seen some 20's flying around on the highway and stopped. Since my wallet is just a card holder with a magnetic money clip, everything was strewn about. The truck driver scoured the area around where he'd seen the money and was able to recover everything from my wallet, including all of my money. The only exception is that he was not able to find my drivers license. Not only did he find virtually everything in my wallet but when he got home, his wife had had the incredible foresight to call my credit card companies to let them know that my wallet had been found so that I wouldn't inadvertently cancel my credit cards and leave myself with non-working credit cards. Meanwhile, the nice guys at the guard shack had offered me a sandwich and some cookies

When I called them at around 10:30 local time, the people who'd found my wallet were kind enough to offer to make the 25 minute drive to actually deliver my wallet to me at the campground - which they promptly did. Of course, they refused to accept any reward from me and were actually worried that they might not have found all of my money. I thanked them profusely before returning to my campsite from the campground office. The most ironic part of it all is their last name: NICE. Yes, I'm serious, that was really their last name: Chris & Carol Nice.
I love stories like this. I hope that if... okay, when I do something like this, the same sort of NICE people will help me out.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #80
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
I never had any luggage or contents fall off but last year on a trip I did lose a few things.

I put one glove under a strap because I needed my hand to make a call as I could not locate a friends home. Rode around the block with one glove, didn't realize I lost the other one until I got to his house.

Grr, they were brand new gloves, luckily they were cheap.

Same exact time I lost a cheap camelbak, same sitch, same time. However I am pretty sure someone took it off the bike in the middle of the night.

Often I mind myself missing stuff, so I go back out to the bike only to find it sitting on the seat, and I think to myself, thank god no one took it. This happened with a Kriega pack filled with super expensive camping gear once.

Oh, I did lose a cup of coffee after hitting a pothole large enough to swallow a volkswagon, that sucked. :)
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #81
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Just remembered. After I got a GIVI rack for my bike, instead of getting real givi bags I modified some old knockoffs to fit the GIVI rack. They worked great.

While renovating my bathroom I went to lowes to get some tile.....filled both boxes, the trunk and a duffel on the back seat with oh I dunno, 250lbs of tile....

I ran over a gnarly section (this is brooklyn) or some potholes and one of the side cases goes flying.

I instantly lose about 50lbs off one side, the bike decides to lean to the other side, because well I had another 50lbs of tile in the left case. I somehow managed not to slam into the side of a truck and come to a stop.

I walk back for the case, and lift the big heavy case back over to the bike. Click it on and bungee it to the rack. The latch was busted.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #82
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
I have had a few incidents.

I once strapped a 1-gallon can of gas to the back of my dual sport (with bungees, doh!) . Extremely rough terrain got it loose, and wrapped around my axle along with my tail bag. I caught it before I lost the gas, but the zipper on the tail bag got all messed up. I learned two things there: Always pour the fuel into your tank as soon as you have room, and use ratchet straps instead of bungees with anything remotely heavy.

The other incident was just an open pannier. I left when it was dark outside, and failed to see that I had left the right side semi-soft pannier open. It looked fine from the left side of the bike. I rode at 60-80 mph for an hour and a half before some guy in a pickup waved me down. There was nothing in the bag at the time, and to Givi's credit, the seams and zippers all held up fine. That was the maiden voyage for the bags, and I would have been pissed had they been damaged. Lesson: once I have the gear on, I do a final quick inspection.

I lost a bunch of gear out of the back of my truck once. I was on my way to go play in the dirt with my dirt bike in my truck, and my helmet and all my riding gear in a big Rubbermaid tub. The bungees got loose (those damn bungees) and it flew out the open tailgate at 75 mph. I didn't notice for 10 miles. When I went back, it was sitting on the side of the highway. Nothing inside was even scratched. I put it in the front seat after that. Lesson: tie stuff down real good in the back of an open truck, even if the tailgate is up, because bungees don't work if the item shifts to the point that there is no tension on them.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #83
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease View Post
How many of ya'll have lost luggage off the back of your bike?
'Never lost anything from luggage. I lost a cellphone out of an unsecurable pocket once though.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #84
wipfel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Commuting to work one morning, going over the 5th of 7 speed bumps (all in less than one mile no less) and I thought I heard something that sounded like a hiss. Only lasted a few seconds. Decided I'd better check my computer backpack which was bungied to the luggage rack on my Connie. Turned just in time to see it slide to a stop about 20 yards behind me.

2010 Concours 14
wipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #85
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 297
Riding along in lead, riding buddy didn't have a map or GPS. He had a knack for randomly passing me just before I was planning to turn or stop. Next turn coming up soon, lost my throttle rocker. Went back to get it and as I am parked on the side of the road, obviously looking for something, he just blazes past and blows the turn. I thought about it for a while, but what the hell, I went into the next town and found him. Still friends, but have declined subsequent ride invitations.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #86
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
I hit a pothole on my Trident, on the way to the Cape, and lost a sixpack of Schlitz, back in '77. The guy in the car behind me wasn't pleased... Was a Sunday too.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #87
tommy likes beer
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I lost my wife once. Was stopped at a light during bike week, she stood up to strech and I took off leaving her standing there. Should have left her there, she became my ex soon after.
tommy likes beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #88
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 276
Got to work one morning and realized I lost my wallet. I had set it on the top plate while putting on my onesie so that I could place it in the front pocket once I had the onesie on. Oops. Surprisingly, I found the dang thing on the side of the road.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #89
jackflash252
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Best down the road loss happened to a friend right next to me a couple of years back. He had checked the oil on his Wing just before we left Sturgis and a few miles WB on the freeway, the $150 plastic side cover over the oil dip stick flies off and lands in the outside slow lane. We all pull over, he starts running back and a BIG ASS Red Neck in a BIG ASS P/U swings from the fast lane over to the slow lane and intentionally center punches the side cover. Plastic pieces and middle fingers started flying everywhere. That's what you get for riding a bunch of Jap bikes to Sturgis. Two days ago I finished a 2,500 mile pavement trip to Las Vegas and back on my DR & was luck enough to have only dropped my water bottle coming outta of gas station. Make a U-turn and there's is a Wing, nicely stopped, pointing at it for me. You Meet The Nicest People On A Honda!
jackflash252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #90
jackflash252
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Best down the road loss happened to a friend right next to me a couple of years back. He had checked the oil on his Wing just before we left Sturgis and a few miles WB on the freeway, the $150 plastic side cover over the oil dip stick flies off and lands in the outside slow lane. We all pull over, he starts running back and a BIG ASS Red Neck in a BIG ASS P/U swings from the fast lane over to the slow lane and intentionally center punches the side cover. Plastic pieces and middle fingers started flying everywhere. That's what you get for riding a bunch of Jap bikes to Sturgis. Two days ago I finished a 2,500 mile pavement trip to Las Vegas and back on my DR & was luck enough to have only dropped my water bottle coming outta of gas station. Make a U-turn and there's is a Wing, nicely stopped, pointing at it for me. You Meet The Nicest People On A Honda!
jackflash252 is offline   Reply With Quote