anytime now

Oddometer: 2,479
lost a motsport pannier on the highway, got smashed to bits
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #107
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
Lost a nice small Samsonite backpack containing my bar's keys, my cigarettes, a camera, my phone, $20 and a few spare tubes while offroad on my DR250 one day.

I hadn't looked behine me for a few hours - and when I did there was just a bungee cord being chewed by the rear hub.

I was more pissed about the bag than anything else. Good high quality pack.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #108
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Lost a nice small Samsonite backpack containing my bar's keys, my cigarettes, a camera, my phone, $20 and a few spare tubes while offroad on my DR250 one day.

I hadn't looked behine me for a few hours - and when I did there was just a bungee cord being chewed by the rear hub.

I was more pissed about the bag than anything else. Good high quality pack.
Bungee cords are the devil's way of calling the user a fool!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #109
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Almost lost my lunch (soft cooler) off the back of my snowmobile... since then, I have used straps instead of bungees. Haven't lost anything (that I know of) off the bike (yet).
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #110
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,407
Haven't lost any luggage, but one time when I was about 14 I fell off the back of my brother's XS650, as I did a backflip off the seat I screamed "DICK" at him. We still laugh about it 30 years later! Good Times.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #111
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 246
I installed a new top box earlier this year on my new bike. Took it for a test ride, seemed to run fine. Pulled a u-turn to head back home and come over a hill to a construction worker waving at me with my top box. Yup, the locking rack they provided didn't quite hold up. Thankfully it was empty.

The box did sustain a decent crack along the bottom. I still use it just mounted it permanently with bolts and cotter pins.

FYI JC Whitney top boxes are crap... just saying.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #112
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Last summer up on ME 16 near Rangeley my small drybag dropped off from under my ROK straps... luckily i wasn't last in line and was able to turn back and grab it from out of the swamp. Nothing in it but spare gloves but would've been bummed to lose it. On a straight I was very surprised how far off the road it shot ... never would have found it if it wasn't seen by my buddy behind me.

Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #113
watchmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I've lost my phone once and almost lost another one the same way. I have a habit of putting my phone on my passenger seat when I put my onesie on and then put it in my breast pocket. The first time i drove off and didn't notice my phone wasn't in my pocket about 2 miles later on the free. I pulled over and searched every for it and retraced my steps twice.

Then about 3 weeks ago I did the same thing but I noticed it wasn't in my pocket about 300 feet away at a stoplight. I pulled over and put it back in my pocket.
watchmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #114
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
FYI JC Whitney top boxes are crap... just saying.
I have used my large JC top box for several years. It has seen nearly 50,000 miles from here to CA and back. Washboard dirt roads, gravel roads, and seriously overloaded. I force it shut and lock 2 full face helmets in it. I lost one of the hinge pins early on, and replaced it with a brass wood screw. An identical screw rides in my tool kit, never had a problem with the box.

Except for the fact that I sometimes leave my keys dangling from the lock when I ride away, so far they have not fallen out. If they do, I have spares under the seat, and I still have the bike key.

I lost $200 in twenties at a gas station in SLC. Somebody else's lucky day!
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #115
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,835
I lost a nearly new Gaz-E-Bo cover for my R75/6 in Pa. in 1980. Back tracked twenty odd miles & never found it. Hope it made a decent grill cover for somebody.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #116
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 479
It hit me today

I got a call from some guy saying he'd found my wallet.
At that point I didn't even realize that I'd lost it.
I must have forgotten to close the zipper, he just found it lying on the road in the middle of a town.

Gonna pick it up tomorrow
TobyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #117
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
zumo 660;

left it on the back of the bike while taking a brake on the F26 in Iceland, ended up driving home true 5 country's with maps.
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #118
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
I lost a magnetic tank bag ones. I went to meet one of my roommates for tasty shrimp burritos at a local taqueria, realized I needed gas on the one home so I stopped at the gas station on the corner in front of the taqueria. Then proceeded to set my tank bag on my tailbag while filling up and left. Tank bag fell off, I noticed about 5 minutes later that it was missing and flipped a uturn to go hunting for it. Spent 45 minutes looking for it to no avail. It had my wallet, my phone and my kindle in it along with bike reg, garage door opener and keys to the house.
After slipping into the house through an open window I im'd me roommate freaking out. She talked me through setting up Plan-B on my phone (remote GPS locator) and sure enough it was moving at like 3mph down the road I'd lost the bag on. About that time my laptop started ringing. (Google voice) and I got a panicked call from my mom who lives 1000 miles away, trying to get in touch with me. She relayed that someone had picked up my bag with all my stuff in it.. then called my father, who at the time I wasn't really on speaking terms with and who was 3500 miles away, and in very broken english tried to explain that I'd dropped my bag with all my stuff in it.
The man who found my bag was a hispanic construction worker that spoke very little english and somehow called my father on the phone and given him the impression that I crashed my bike and he had my bag with my phone and wallet in it. My father called my mom who then tried to get in touch with me over facebook (which I don't really use) then tried calling my phone to find out who had it what was going on. After about an hour we finally sorted everything out. Since my housemate worked 5 blocks from the house the guy with my bag was working at and I didn't have my phone, wallet or keys to the house she picked it up.

I got really lucky and would have never expected someone like that to return my bag, there was easily several hundred bucks of stuff in it. Thankfully he did and wouldn't take any cash for it. Since then my wallet and phone always go in my jacket pockets.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #119
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbleside View Post
I lost a magnetic tank bag ones. I went to meet one of my roommates for tasty shrimp burritos at a local taqueria, realized I needed gas on the one home so I stopped at the gas station on the corner in front of the taqueria. Then proceeded to set my tank bag on my tailbag while filling up and left. Tank bag fell off, I noticed about 5 minutes later that it was missing and flipped a uturn to go hunting for it. Spent 45 minutes looking for it to no avail. It had my wallet, my phone and my kindle in it along with bike reg, garage door opener and keys to the house.
After slipping into the house through an open window I im'd me roommate freaking out. She talked me through setting up Plan-B on my phone (remote GPS locator) and sure enough it was moving at like 3mph down the road I'd lost the bag on. About that time my laptop started ringing. (Google voice) and I got a panicked call from my mom who lives 1000 miles away, trying to get in touch with me. She relayed that someone had picked up my bag with all my stuff in it.. then called my father, who at the time I wasn't really on speaking terms with and who was 3500 miles away, and in very broken english tried to explain that I'd dropped my bag with all my stuff in it.
The man who found my bag was a hispanic construction worker that spoke very little english and somehow called my father on the phone and given him the impression that I crashed my bike and he had my bag with my phone and wallet in it. My father called my mom who then tried to get in touch with me over facebook (which I don't really use) then tried calling my phone to find out who had it what was going on. After about an hour we finally sorted everything out. Since my housemate worked 5 blocks from the house the guy with my bag was working at and I didn't have my phone, wallet or keys to the house she picked it up.

I got really lucky and would have never expected someone like that to return my bag, there was easily several hundred bucks of stuff in it. Thankfully he did and wouldn't take any cash for it. Since then my wallet and phone always go in my jacket pockets.
Just goes to show you shouldn't judge people so easily!

Glad it worked out for you though!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote