User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
smacdab949 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Advice on tire/rim related stuff

I have a 2002 GasGas Pro 280 that need tires.

I am a beginner at trials (and at maintenance), and don't need any competition level tires. The local (Calif) cycle shop has Dunlop D803 on sale for $75/$110, so thinking of picking these up.

The GG tires/rims say tubeless in the rear and tube in the front. The D803 don't specifically say, but in reading other posts, I think they should work.

I kinda want to replace the air stem (in the rear only?) as it looks to be a bit crusty. Do I need something special from GG? Or should I just clean it thoroughly?

Can I use any 21" tube in the front?

What about the rim rubber band thing? Everything work?

Let me know if there are other things I should be considering.

thx!

ps
Watched the video and I am not going to try to put the tires on myself ;-)
smacdab949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
If the rear tire is holding air for more than two days, everything is fine. I know that sounds weird, but you have a rim with 33 holes in it. If it is holding air just have the new tire installed. A 250/275 front tube is all you need and the 803 are great tires.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
If the rear tire is holding air for more than two days, everything is fine. I know that sounds weird, but you have a rim with 33 holes in it. If it is holding air just have the new tire installed. A 250/275 front tube is all you need and the 803 are great tires.
Ditto!

There's a lot of picky things you CAN do (I like to write about such things) but if things are working, just putting new skins on will feel as good on the bike as new running shoes do on your body.

If you haven't done a tubeless rear tire on a tubeless rim before... if you don't have experience with such things, you should get help or just have someone else do it. They can be a real pain to get off the bead and then get to catch the bead to air up. Sometimes it takes a lot of pressure to get the bead to pop into the final position, even with soapy water. Always freaks me out to have the tire go P U N G ! into place at 50 and up psi

The good part is that the tires just don't come off the bead easily, even when you don't realize you're riding on like one psi. At Sipapu this year Rachael Hassler was riding the Master class. She came up to ride a section. Several of us pointed out that her well used D803 rear tire was completely flat. She shrugged and said, "I'll go air it up after I ride the section." I asked her if she'd ever had a tire pop off the bead when ridden flat. She said, "Never."
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
I'm pretty sure the rear valve stem is just a regular valve stem.

Be prepared that the rear tire will be a bastard to change. They fit REALLY tight on the rim. Breaking the bead isn't easy and it gets worse from there. Seating the bead won't happen dry. I use real tire lube (have a tire shop at work) and still put the tire around the corner and put a long hose clipped onto the valve stem. How we don't have stories of these things exploding is amazing. With lube it still takes me 80 PSI to seat the tire. For a tire that runs at 4 PSI, I don't want to be around when it seats because you don't know if it just seated or just blew up.

The front is like a regular motorcycle tire, nothing special.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
smacdab949 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the feedback!

I have never changed tires, so I won't start with a trials tire ;-)

It looks like it is going to be easier than I thought.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #6
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
My 2008 GG rear tire has had a very slow leak for a few yrs. Just got a new rear installed. This is the second one I've had changed at a bike shop with a usual street bike changer. Figured it was worth the sweat and knuckles and there is no way I could have broke the bead using std garage knobby methods, or got enough air all at once to pop the bead. Even with a big shop compressor it took some major air volume.
Took a bit of talking to get them to do it as I didn't buy the tire there, and they couldn't get the IRC tire anyway.
But, when the tire was off I took the rim band off and cleaned the rim and band til it was REAL clean and had them use the black rim sealant. No more leak. Its held 5psi for a couple months now.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
smacdab949 OP
Adventurer

torque values

Follow up question. Are these valid torque values?

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagra...ations_USA.JPG

Front/Read Wheel Axle:
30-36 foot pounds?

thx!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
Not really since the axles are really pinch points. Trialsparts usa are the Gas Gas part importers and the best reliable info on Gassers.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,055
Goop for tubeless tires does a good job on slow leaks.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Can't go wrong with one of these to break the bead. Since purchase have did all my rear tire changes at home and saved some coin.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ker-98875.html
motorcyclemark is offline   Reply With Quote