User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,471
Rukka armo(u)r upgrades

Oh, man, it is just so damn nice to have a reliable rukka distributor in the states now Thanks Revzilla for bringing on the best.

Rukka makes, arguably, the best riding gear on the planet. Or, maybe, it just fits the way I want gear to fit. I don't know. Of the many things they do exceptionally, armor coverage is at the top of the list. Unfortunately, although coverage is great, the standard RVP Air armor leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the back, so I'm always looking for a way to upgrade in my Armas suit and Airoad jacket. Previously, I had some of the APS from an old Motoport jacket stitched onto the Rukka armor. That worked, but I wanted something a little less ghetto.

This is the year of the non-ghetto Rukka armor upgrade

Lets start with the back. Enter Forcefield. IMHO, the absolute best of the best. I really wish all the manufacturers jumped on the Forcefield bandwagon, rather than the D3O one, but it is what it is. When Forcefield came out with their Rukka specific back protector I just knew I had to have it. Problem is Forcefield doesn't distribute this particular piece to the US, so I figured I'd have to get it from Europe. Several weeks ago, I was perusing the Webbikeworld, and BAM, there it is! And, at a good price! It was mine with a few clicks

Level 2 Forcefield on left. Rukka standard on right

All this does is show what a joke the standard Rukka armor is

The Forcefield back pad fits perfect since its the same size. I guess my other beef with the Rukka back pad is that it is a very specific size. Thatm in itself, is fine, but the pocket is a little bigger. Rather than making the pocket the same size as the protector, they add a velcro loop at the top of the pocket that you stick on the back pad. That keeps it centered in the pocket. Odd, but OK. So, the Forcefield pad has a hole for this velcro strip, but the pad itself is so damn thick I just couldn't get it in (minds out of the gutter please. This is a serious review kinda). Next to duct tape, the best invention known to man is the zip tie. I don't have a picture, but I stuck a zip tie on the pad, that then goes around the velcro. Done.

Alright, so back is done. Now, onto the shoulders, elbows and knees. I'm content for now with the APR found in the hips of my Armas pants. For me, I want flexibility in that area, and it is ok. For now.

As mentioned, I really wish I could have the equivalent of the Forcefield back every where else. Unfortunately, Forcefield doesn't make armor to Rukka spec, and frankly, neither does anyone else! Other than Motoport, and BMW NP, I don't know of another manufacturer that has such great coverage as Rukka. That leaves one flying solo, or going with aftermarket solutions. This year, Rukka partnered with D3O to make armor for their latest suits. That means it'll fit, but is it up to the job? They claim it is. For me, I want something more protective than the APR, but my biggest peave with the latest and greatest is that it gets hard in the cold. I don't care what they say, the stuff gets hard! Plain and simple. This story about how your body will heat it up and make it softer? Bullshit. The armor is on the outside of your insulation. How is that possible? It's not. Soooooo, I'm a geek about this stuff and I stuck the armor in the fridge for a couple hrs. It definitely got stiffer, but remained flexible. The real world may tell a different story...

Here's the spec.

Soo, now, I own the D3O version of the Rukka armor. Price is right. Packaging is nice and damn this stuff is beefy compared to the stock stuff. My jacket has a noticeable heft to it now.

Whenever I remove the armor from my Rukka gear, I'm amazed at the size of it. Really, the stuff is BIG. The shoulder armor always strikes me as surprisingly large. Cos it is.

For some reason, they include an adaptor with velcro tabs with the shoulder armor, but nothing else. Maybe, because its so abnormally large compared to other shoulder armor?

Elbow armor. Looks a little smaller, but its just cos the RVP kinda curls up and shortens. It's the same, give or take a mm here or there.

This D3O is thick!

Knees

Buy with confidence. This stuff is nice
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,622
Fantastic review/write up.....I removed the back pads from my Rukka jackets and always ride with a Forcefield back and chest protector instead. Each company makes such nice riding gear.

Thanks for for the heads up!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

I took the SasTec out of one of my jackets to compare the two. First thing I noticed was that the Rukka armor felt exactly the same as yesterday, while the SasTec was quite a bit firmer sitting in my 60F garage. 60 is nothing, but I was surprised at the difference. That SasTec is a rock in cold weather..

Rukka D3O on left. Sas Tec on right. These are shoulders and elbows. Rukka armor completely wraps around the shoulder, where the Sas Tec barely covers it.

Shoulders

Old 09-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Glad to hear you got your armour sorted Jim! Sorry for my delay in measuring, life has been a bit crazy of late.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Jim, thanks for the review.

I was just poking around on revzilla the other day contemplating these fine looking 3do air pads. Coverage looks good. Looking forward to your impressions of how they are in cooler weather.

I have looked around on the interwebs, but can't seem to find any information on how thick the pads are. Do you have an approximate measurement?

Wow, pretty remarkable difference in thickness between the forcefield and Rukka RVP back pad! Really stands out when they are next to each other like that.

Sidenote: what Revit jacket did those Sas-tec pads come out of? The shoulder pads in my Cayenne Pro quite a bit larger.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Oh, man, it is just so damn nice to have a reliable rukka distributor in the states now Thanks Revzilla for bringing on the best.

I think you may have just hurt trophy mike's feelings.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Jim, thanks for the review.

I was just poking around on revzilla the other day contemplating these fine looking 3do air pads. Coverage looks good. Looking forward to your impressions of how they are in cooler weather.

I have looked around on the interwebs, but can't seem to find any information on how thick the pads are. Do you have an approximate measurement?

Wow, pretty remarkable difference in thickness between the forcefield and Rukka RVP back pad! Really stands out when they are next to each other like that.

Sidenote: what Revit jacket did those Sas-tec pads come out of? The shoulder pads in my Cayenne Pro quite a bit larger.
I'll get a measurement on the thickness later today.

The SasTec came out of a Teiz Navigator. Great jacket btw..
Old 09-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #8
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,652
Does the D30 get stiff in the cold?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
Does the D30 get stiff in the cold?
I haven't ridden in the cold yet with it, but I had it in the fridge for a couple hrs before installing. It firmed up, but didn't get hard. As a comparison, the SasTec was like a rock. This is something I have a huge problem with, so I was happy to see it stayed flexible. Time will tell whether it works. I'll find out soon. Temps are starting to drop in the Northeast, but I have high hopes so far!

I don't like the knee armor quite as much as the standard Rukka armor. It is flatter, and just doesn't wrap around the knee as much. We'll see, but I may end up going with something else in the knees.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
New, higher standard (CE Level 2) for body armour

Now we have a new CE Level 2 standard for body armour. Unfortunately no Rukka armour meets this standard. Even if you pay for the D30 upgrade for Rukka, it only meets the level 1 standard. Why Rukka only offers low spec armour is beyond me, particularly when D30 makes level 2 armour for other brands.

However, it looks like help is at hand from Forcefield:
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/...de-armour/2415

Forcefield's new NeT armour gives level 2 protection. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know how well it fits Rukka clothing?
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
dragos
Belzebut

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Forcefield's new NeT armour gives level 2 protection. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know how well it fits Rukka clothing?
I just got a pair of their Zeus elbow protectors, which have the NeT armour inside. Didn't ride with them yet (and I won't for about a month).
Their pre-curved shape is very nice and wraps around the elbow. Soft and comfortable, but quite heavy and with a strong rubbery smell.

No idea about Rukka fitment, but I took the NeT armour out and fitted it into a Touratech (Stadler) Companero jacket. Fits very well. The rubber they're made of is quite "sticky", so inserting them in the protector pockets is a bit more work than the Sas-Tec.

One nice feature is the fact that they have a uniform thickness, compared with the Sas-Tec and D3O which taper towards the edges (and offer less protection in that area).

Overall, I like them.

dragos screwed with this post 04-19-2014 at 02:37 PM
dragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Jerry_helicon
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Levain, Thanks for this info.

One question... Does Forcefield protector breath well? Do you sweat more?

Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry_helicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
istadniy
Ivan the Quite OK

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Other than Motoport, and BMW NP, I don't know of another manufacturer that has such great coverage as Rukka.
BMW NP is weird asymmetrical shape, so, while, arguably, it is the same sort of coverage (it is bigger, but tapers off towards edges), it will, probably, not fit into anything other than BMW pockets. Knee, elbow and shoulder pads are all like that, hip pads are symmetrical.

I got the jacket delivered in winter and the NP was frozen rock solid (-10C in the warehouse). I haven't riden below freezing temps, however, and never felt it become uncomfortable while riding.
istadniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 484
I have Motoport with quad armor upgrades and holy crap I've never had gear with that much protective armor in it. I love the coverage they provide.

For my dirt riding gear, there aren't many good choices for hip armor out there. I don't like the padded underwear available, especially since it's nothing more than thin cheap foam padding. So, I bought the Rukka D3O hip armor and I plan on sewing pockets into my dirt riding pants and putting the armor in those. D3O is better than most armor out there, even if it's not the best. I'm glad to see at least manufacturers are keeping up with technology in armor, even if they're not at the forefront of the latest stuff, it's still better than a piece of plastic with foam glued on the back side and called armor.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #15
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
rukka knee pad issues

i just got my rukka cosmic jacket and pants, great stuff. BUT just been on 3 day ride and the knee armour was killing my knees on the last day. took it out and now wondering what i can do. maybe glue a thick piece of neoprene to backside of pads as it just the constant vibration of my knees on the firm D30. i ride an adv bike so knees at an real angle that pushes on back of knee armour all the time. any one else had issues.