User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
shadowtrekkor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Bluhduh convince me to buy a wee-strom

My wife calls this my mid-life crisis, I told her the crisis is over referring to the last 22 years of raising 3 children--teenagers I am presently riding my Honda XL 600r, she got me back into riding, and looked enough like a dirtbike that my cautious wife was ok with it. Now she thinks a bigger bike would be more fun on our trips I like the looks of the GS's but I can only afford one with 60,000 on the dial. I looked at a vstrom 650, and was impressed. I could have a brand new one for a hundred bucks a month Is this a bike that can handle an adventure? I want a bike that is light enough to be nimble, but big enough to bolt on some jesse boxes and disappear for a month. Looking to hear the good, the bad , the ugly about it.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
mtbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I just traded my 03 ST1300 that I love for the 12 adventure model. I've taken a couple of short rides on it and it is a fun bike. I say go for it. The 0% apr expires on 12/31/12.
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Sure. Went halfway around the planet with one, my GF as pillion, 6 months, no problemo.
The 2012-> model is even better.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,675
Sure, buy it and you'll never get laid again.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
vanseagal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
He already has a wife so he is not getting laid anyway. By the bike, you won't regret it.
vanseagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker View Post
I just traded my 03 ST1300 that I love for the 12 adventure model. I've taken a couple of short rides on it and it is a fun bike. I say go for it. The 0% apr expires on 12/31/12.
What did you pay for yours before taxes and any fees? Im looking at the same model, it seems like a pretty sweet package b/c its ready to tour right out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Somehow i bet the 12 model will get u laid, as opposed to the older one, i can agree with u on that one.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
mtbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I work at a dealership so I got it for dealer cost. I'm a little worried abouot giving up my St1300 because I already have an 08 klr650....I hope i'm not overlapping models. Just try to negotiate the best deal you can. It all depends on what part of the country you live in as to what kind of deal you will get. If your dealer give some off the price and have a reputable service department go for it. Just because you get a cheaper price doesn't always mean that you get the best "deal".
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
I'm thinking you should ride one. You'll be amazed.
I have had Harley's-2, Valkyries-2; A BMW R1200C; and a Triumph America over the past years.
I now have a 2012 Wee. It is to me the best of the lot. I don't do long trips, mostly 2-500 mile day trips occassionally 2 up.
The more you read here and on other forums, you find they are bullet proof, easy to work on, and have lotsa stuff available to add.
It is winter, you're in Jersey, there are killer deals on 2012 models- so get to it! Only a couple days to grab the 0% deal.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
trikeflyer
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Love my '12 Wee, traded in my '06 Road Star Warrior which was more fun to look at than ride when riding any sort of distance.
trikeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
I have a '04 and I'm absolutely delighted with it.
One thing that I miss when I'm fully packed is 20 more HP. Overtaking gets a little bit hard when riding with pillion and luggage, but nothing to be worried about, as long as you know you will need longer overtakes!
And the best points: reliability and value for money!!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Take a look at the Stromtrooper site for considerable information http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 View Post
Take a look at the Stromtrooper site for considerable information http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2012/
What he said!

The WeeStrom is a perfectly good bike that can do many things well. It may not have a lot of the gee-wiz features of the mega-buck BMWs but that also means you have less to go awry. Save the $$, get the Vstrom, spend the savings on gas and park passes and Twisted Throttle accessories (BTW, my opinion is that the skid plate, crash bar combo from ALTRider is the best fitting for the Stroms.)

Seriously, any nits you find with the VStrom can be easily fixed with the aftermarket. Have fun and see you on the road!

PS: For your passenger, get one of these. http://pirateslair.net/SuzukiV.htm They will love you for it.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikeflyer View Post
Love my '12 Wee, traded in my '06 Road Star Warrior which was more fun to look at than ride when riding any sort of distance.
Well said. I'm starting to feel the same way about cruisers in general, so I'm too looking at the wee and other bikes in that same class.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Well said. I'm starting to feel the same way about cruisers in general, so I'm too looking at the wee and other bikes in that same class.
You can bend a lot on a Wee, you can speed a lot, and when you look at it, it's still good looking!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 AM   #15
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
Irregardless of all the fancy comparisons - you would be getting a top notch, reliable, all purpose bike. I think it's a smart buy.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote