Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #46
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2speed View Post
Tubalcain on youtube. All you ever want to know about basic machining.
+1 and even if you don't he's a great teacher and time well spent concerning all things shop. I've watched many of his videos repeatedly.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #47
Wreck™
Wreck™

Oddometer: 355
A customer gave me this Enco 12 X 36 bench lathe a few months ago and I just got around to building a base for it, been sitting on a shelf in their Maint. shop unused for the last 12-15 years, aside from dust it looks little used.

I have no use for it in my shop as it has step pulley speed changes and no brake or clutch so it would make a slow 2'nd Op machine as well.

To bad you are so far away as I would sell it for $600.00, it would cost more to crate and ship from NJ.

220 VAC 1 Phase
Metric and inch threading
Steady rest
Inch dials on X, Y and compound
3 jaw scroll chuck with reversible hard top jaws
Tail stock with live & dead centers and jacobs chuck
4 sided tool post
Full chip tray, (which I did not install to save room)
1 1/8" through spindle

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #48
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,308
Thats a perfect sized lathe to start with. I have it's bigger brother and it's been great. Thats a very generous price you have too I suspect your pms will be jumping tonight

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #49
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
that will be a good starter lathe for somebody. i bet it's sold in 1 day.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #50
Wreck™
Wreck™

I just ran a test on it, 3" Diameter 6061 T6, 1250 RPM (Max), .050" DOC and .006 per rev feed, didn't even slow down much. I also don't have the proper tooling for a machine this small. The only holder that would fit was above center, Positive rake coated insert (the molded in chip breaker makes it positive, also a poor choice for aluminum) with a .062 nose radius

Old 01-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #51
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
that will be a good starter lathe for somebody. i bet it's sold in 1 day.

I agree - big enough to be useful - which many of the mini/micro lathes are not.

Modern enough for features like the gear box, compared to my Atlas 12X36 - I am sure that has a bit more usable bed - and V ways on the bed are nice features - the southbend has em, the atlas is flat bed.

Also the stepped belt drive is nice for a beginner so you dont' fixate too much on adjusting your speed, pick what's close and learn to sharpen your tools.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #52
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck™ View Post
To bad you are so far away as I would sell it for $600.00, it would cost more to crate and ship from NJ.
Another $600 to ship it and it would still be a smart buy....seriously. Step on up because this is a complete, turn-key lathe.

• 220 VAC 1 Phase (hook it right up, no phase converter or VFD--which would add to just about any other lathe choice you make)
  • Metric and inch threading (not a lot of older lathes are setup to do metric threading---a huge plus for you)
  • Steady rest (great to have for longer parts and often missing from lathes that have changed hands a bunch of times)
  • Inch dials on X, Y and compound (sounds obvious but, many import machines are primarily metric)
Then we get to the tooling:

• 3 jaw scroll chuck with reversible hard top jaws (great size starter chuck)
  • Tail stock with live & dead centers and jacobs chuck (ready to hold long material or do end-drilling)
  • 4 sided tool post (not a quick-change toolpost but, much better than what often comes on lathes in this price range)
Ricardito: Kick this man an extra $200 to cover the pallet, a case of beer and hassles of packing it, get a shipping quote and do it. Even with the shipping costs, this is a solid machine for that price range.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #53
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
A customer gave me this Enco 12 X 36 bench lathe a few months ago and I just got around to building a base for it, been sitting on a shelf in their Maint. shop unused for the last 12-15 years, aside from dust it looks little used.

I have no use for it in my shop as it has step pulley speed changes and no brake or clutch so it would make a slow 2'nd Op machine as well.

220 VAC 1 Phase
Metric and inch threading
Steady rest
Inch dials on X, Y and compound
3 jaw scroll chuck with reversible hard top jaws
Tail stock with live & dead centers and jacobs chuck
4 sided tool post
Full chip tray, (which I did not install to save room)
1 1/8" through spindle

This looks like the manual for the lathe: http://www.use-enco.com/Machinery/110-2034.pdf

I expect shipping weight would be ~ 800 lb. Similar lathes sell for ~$3k new @ Enco. I expect this lathe uses a 1 hp motor and a VFD could be installed for speed control at ~$300.00 to eliminate belt changes if wanted.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #54
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I expect shipping weight would be ~ 800 lb. Similar lathes sell for ~$3k new @ Enco. I expect this lathe uses a 1 hp motor and a VFD could be installed for speed control at ~$300.00 to eliminate belt changes if wanted.
$3500 for the cheapest 13" model and it comes with a decent sheetmetal base. OTOH, there would still be shipping on that purchase as well. VFD? I wouldn't bother. Plenty of other tooling he'll need/want that will eat up that money. Step pulleys are not the end of the world.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #55
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
. I expect this lathe uses a 1 hp motor and a VFD could be installed for speed control at ~$300.00 to eliminate belt changes if wanted.
the teco fm50 will vfd that guy all day. about $100. what's a belt change on that lathe - 30 seconds (as long as you don't stack tooling on the door :) my clausing belt change is less than that with step pulleys.. it's a moot point though - it's 1ph anyways.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #56
Ricardito OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I'm tempted by the NJ offer, but would rather wait for someting nearer here in CO. I've spoken to a couple of machinists in the area and there's an Atlas/Craftsman that's a possibility, largely unused, that an older gent wants to sell. Will know more in a week or so.
Ricardito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #57
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,311
I was going to ask where you were located, but your last post told me that.

A local ADV fella (near Richmond, VA) sent me the below a day ago:

"I have a 12-1/4 inch swing metal lathe with all accessories incl. taper attachment in very good condition for sale, asking 1200. I have not advertised it but I would rather someone in the ADV group have a crack first.

"It's not as heavy as a SB, but it does have Timken tapered roller headstock, modern v-belt drive, a very wide range range of carriage feeds, power cross feed, long bed.

"This was my fathers lathe and he is no longer with us. (one owner) and I have a SB heavy 10 so I don't need two lathes..."

I already have a South Bend 10L Heavy that I'm still trying to learn to use, so I have no need for it. Regardless, PM me if you think you may be interested and I can get the two of you together.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #58
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardito View Post
I'm tempted by the NJ offer, but would rather wait for someting nearer here in CO. I've spoken to a couple of machinists in the area and there's an Atlas/Craftsman that's a possibility, largely unused, that an older gent wants to sell. Will know more in a week or so.
Do whatever makes you comfortable. I will tell you now that you will regret it. A FREE Atlas delivered to your driveway isn't nearly as good a deal as that Enco from across the country. Print this post out and hang it on your wall: you will be sorry.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #59
Wreck™
Wreck™

Quote:
This looks like the manual for the lathe: http://www.use-enco.com/Machinery/110-2034.pdf

It's single phase and a VFD would probably cause problems with the centrifugal switch and possibly the capacitors.

I just noticed that the change gear for metric threading is missing but suspect that could be bought from Enco for a few bucks.

I own a machine shop and a lathe like this isn't something that I would consider having on the floor, one of my customers employees came by this morning to pick up parts and offered me $800.00 for it for his home shop, out the door it goes hopefully.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #60
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
It's single phase and a VFD would probably cause problems with the centrifugal switch and possibly the capacitors.

I just noticed that the change gear for metric threading is missing but suspect that could be bought from Enco for a few bucks.

I own a machine shop and a lathe like this isn't something that I would consider having on the floor, one of my customers employees came by this morning to pick up parts and offered me $800.00 for it for his home shop, out the door it goes hopefully.
The $300.00 included a new 3 phase Leeson D80 frame motor and Teco VFD. Out the door it goes! Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote