Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,998
OOOO look at the belts on that thing!
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #77
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,483
If anyone in the midwest/Ohio Valley is looking, there's an Enco listed in the columbus Craigs list. I'm not sure what the policy is about posting CL links here (i'm not selling, have no skin in the game, etc). But you can search for "Enco Steel Lathe" and find it. $3K OBO and lots of tooling.

groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #78
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 710
But it is an Enco!

It is not a respected name in the industry. And the chuck key was left in the chuck. Not good.

Ironwood screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 10:20 AM Reason: key word
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #79
Desert Skies
One brick shy...

Oddometer: 2,229
I just picked up this Smithy Granite with all the options for 2K. Still had cosmoline on it.

I have this Atlas that I was going to bring back to life (leavers were pilfered from the quick change) that I'll let go for $50 if someone wants to come and get it.

Here is a 618 Atlas my FIL left that I brought back to life and still use.

And here is the first lathe/mill I bought 30 years ago for $120.

Tripn' with Tom Some pictures ZZ Rider - Tom Lowry Texas Blue - Tom Lowry

Desert Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #80
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 387
As the owner of a 7x14 mini lathe, I would say that there really isn't anything wrong with one.

I found it on ebay, and made an offer that was a lot less than HF wants for their 7x10 mini lathe (which in reality is only 7x8), and it was accepted!

I am not a professional machinist, so it does everything that I need. I can make bushings, spacers, custom pulleys, and various other small parts.

I cannot justify the cost of a big lathe, and the cutting tools to go with it. I would also have to build a bigger shop, have it wired up to code, pay the electric bill, etc.

If I need something bigger than what I can make, or if it is a critical part, I just do what I have always done before - I'll pay someone a few bucks to make it for me. There are plenty of local machine shops that can get it done better and faster than I could.

Not too long ago, before I bought the lathe, I needed a custom pulley and a few other pieces made. I found a guy online that is a retired machinist, gave him a description of what I needed, and asked him if he would do the job.

He cast the parts in aluminum, machined them to my exact specs, and only charged $30 including shipping!

If I need brake drums or rotors turned, there are auto shops that do it cheap or free in some cases.

So, if you just need something for small (less than 7") parts, softer metal, or non critical pieces, a 110v cheap Chinese mini lathe may be all you need. Plus, they fit nicely in most home shops/garages.
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #81
TFD55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hey guys, I've often thought about getting a small lathe for the garage and I've been following and thoroughly enjoying this thread since the beginning. Well it seems that my boss has a South Bend he wants me to buy. I'm not sure what model # it is but it is a 10"X24". It's in good shape and everything is tight and accurate. In fact, last week he turned a #4-40 thread on a small shaft for one of our bore gauges here at the shop.

Here's a list of included tooling etc.

4-jaw chuck
3-jaw chuck
collet chuck
Phase-2 quick change tool post
a handful of tool holders
o.d. turning tool
a few assorted boring bars
o.d. threading tool
knurling tool
cutoff tool
grooving tool
assorted hss and carbide tipped tools
drill chuck
live center

It's 3-phase but my electrician buddy says we can just wire in a converter or swap the motor with a single phase.

So here's my dilemma, he wants me to make him an offer. I know he'll give me a pretty good deal but I don't want to low-ball him and try to get it for next to nothing. After looking around online I was thinking about offering $1500.

What do you guys think? Too low? Too much? I hate when someone says "make me an offer". I'm always worried about insulting them with a low ball offer but I'm cheap and don't want to pay too much.

I wish I had some pictures to post but I didn't take any when I checked it out.

I could really use some good input on what you guys think.

Thanks

TFD
TFD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #82
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,298
South Bends seem to have a rabid following and the prices to match. BUT, that lathe does appear to have a lot of tooling. And the tooling is where the real money is. If you had to buy all those things you have listed the lathe comes with, you'd have spent over $1500 without the lathe.

I think that's a very fair price for both of you, especially if the lathe is in good shape and it appears from your insight that it is.

Here's my thoughts on 3 phase. I love it. The motors last forever. Don't go changing the motor. Either run the lathe off a VFD (variable frequency drive) or using a phase converter.

Here are my thoughts on those. VFD are best when you want speed control in addition to converting either 115v or 230v single phase to 220v 3 phase for your lathe. And they are economical up to about 1.5-2HP. After that they start getting expensive.

I Have one of these on my big drill press and I love it. You can adjust the speed of the motor right from the drive or wire in a speed pot and use that. Very handy. Plus you can add a brake, use soft start etc. Depending what HP your SB is, that's probably the way to go.

http://www.factorymation.com/Products/FM50/

However, if you are going to be acquiring more 3 phase tools down the road, it might make sense to buy a phase converter (rotary) and have room for future tools as a phase converter can power multiple tools.

But even if you were getting more tools, a VFD is a great choice as it allows you to adjust speed in between gears. Or go super low speed for tapping. Or having reverse.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #83
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
But it is an Enco!

It is not a respected name in the industry. And the chuck was left in the chuck. Not good.

ENCO could be a problem if your make parts for the space shuttle........50 year old south bend can be just as problematic...........as hobby lathe it can work especially if the price is right......and ones skills are up to the task.

showkey screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 06:50 PM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #84
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,103
Southbend 10

I have been looking for a lathe too, and I just found a very nice except I spent all my money on motorcycles

If it is a heavy 10 that is a great, but fair, deal. If it is a light 10, it is okay too considering the tooling. Condition is so vital, knowing that it works it really valuable.

Lots of info here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/index.html

I am holding out for a metric thread box.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #85
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
.... And the chuck [key] was left in the chuck. Not good.

Even seeing pictures of that makes my hair stand on end. The picture was taken by and/or the machine owned by somebody who doesn't know what the hell they are doing. Stay away.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #86
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 527
If it runs and isn't chewed up then buy it.

If it is clapped out and beat up then think about it.

Tooling alone would nearly cost you that much to acquire and many lathes come stripped down and you have to go find all the tooling.

If it has the large bore in the head (so you can do bigger stuff like gun barrels) it is worth more.

I have a sb 9a and paid 550 with minimal tooling and did a disassembled, clean, repaint rebuild as it was operational but filthy.

I wouldn't part with it for $1000 today...
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #87
TFD55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks for the advice guys. My new to me South Bend was delivered this past weekend.(pics to come) I believe it is the Heavy 10. Anyone know how to decipher the serial # to figure out the model and year of manufacture?

Overall it's in OK shape. My boss said he got it from the local tech school, which is kind of scary, but it seems like everything works well. The paint is in pretty rough shape so I'm debating if I'm going to do a restoration, and if I do how far to go.

I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days.

TFD
TFD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #88
kioti
Cruzinonline

Oddometer: 187
Go here,http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/
kioti is offline   Reply With Quote