User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
LC4nicator OP
Certified Wino

Oddometer: 450
Kangaroo Island Christmas - Part 1

We were quite fortunate to be given an invitation for myself and the family to a stay over in Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island.
The wife's sister & her family had taken on a beautiful place overlooking Penneshaw Bay and with nothing else planned, we decided a KI Christmas was just what the doctor had ordered.
As it so happened, the brother in law had just purchased an early 90's Special Edition DR650RS with low mileage from an inmate on here so I offered to load that & my 640 ADV onto a trailer and bring them along for some low key KI exploratory duties.

They sure do pack'em in tight on those ferries!

Now, we've stayed at quite a few spots around the island such as Emu Bay and others in the past....but I reckon Penneshaw is one of the best spots, including a beautiful swimming beach, great fishing off the jetty, a great pub, a supermarket and a servo and so close to the ferry.....why would you want to stay anywhere else?
The view from our guest house.....

We decided that this was not purely a ride trip as both Daryl & I had our families along so we would keep our rides mainly within the Dudley Peninsula, which is the eastern most part of the island

This gave us a chance to explore all the tracks that were on offer and all within 1/2 an hour from home base.

Before we set off however, we had Christmas Eve to prepare for.....
Anyone for grilled Octopus??....marinated with lemon & olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper & oregano....

This of course, was in addition to fresh Oysters and Prawns for that true seaside feast.

All washed down with a few NZ Sav Blancs......Yes, it's a hard life

The first foray out would begin on the following day, for a short run east with my daughter, stopping at Chapman River and then on to Cape Whilloughby.
The run was initially tarmac and then dirt.

Chapman River (Camp facilities available for those inclined)

The view at Cape Whilloughby, looking back (West) was just spectacular.....well worth the trip.

A quick zip back to home base from there & Daryl & I were ready for some tracks that same afternoon.
LC4nicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
LC4nicator OP
Certified Wino

Kangaroo Island Christmas - Part 2

Theres a central road which runs through the centre of the peninsula (East-West Road) which has a number of tracks stemming from it.
1st track traversed was Cape Hart Road.
Fairly straight & hard packed with some minor sandy bits throughout and at the end.
The map shows that is hugs the coast line to the left at the end but this was not evident at the time.
The video pretty much gives you an indication of the terrain.
There's some nice views at the end and I guess it could be OK as a campsite but I'd say it could get windy pretty easily.

Here's the video I mentioned...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEFyVT-juo

From there we travelled west and came across Mouth Flat Road.
This track was a little more sandy & therefore challenging.
The sand was quite boggy in some stages.....I'm quite used to sand but Daryl was struggling on the big DR.

There were also tracks at either sides that remained sandy or became quite rocky & narrow....certainly starting to get challenging for bike & rider.....a lot like some of the rocky creek beds of the Flinders!

Unfortunately, no access at the end although it was clear that others had bypassed this gate 5 m to the left!....I wasn't in the mood to get shot that afternoon!

We'd clocked up a few kilometres by then and decided to turn back for home.

The following day was going to be a family outing so we decided Seal Bay would be just the thing.
Be warned.....everything costs in Kangaroo Island and Seal Bay was no exception....Prices were quite startling actually.
$39 dollars allowed me, my wife and our little one to walk the boardwalk only.
If we wanted to walk the beach, then it was going to cost double!!.....You're really not left with too much choice after you've travelled all that way to get there......Anyway....Life goes on.
Certainly a picturesque spot.

This Whale skeleton was quite a way inland....I'd say at least 200m into the dunes...must have been one hell of a stormy high tide!

These seals certainly can eat!

And apparently have quite a fan base for our Fork & Shock Guru Pete Hoey!

We'd had our fill of all things seal related by then so it was onto Kingscote for a late lunch (fresh Flake) and then back home.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
LC4nicator OP
Certified Wino

Kangaroo Island Christmas - Part 3

I decided later that afternoon whilst the others were preparing a Barbie dinner that a short solo jaunt was on the cards and I was keen to explore the North South Road & Sandhurst tracks
The southern side of the North South Road was quite rocky as the video posted previously would show.
The track went for quite a distance but alas, there was no access to the sea and some views at the end.

It was then onto the Sandhurst track where on the way there, I managed to run over this little bugger!

Took me by surprise actually but I wasn't in the mood for swerving at high speed!!!

The track itself runs through some more parks and there was also what looked like a power line access track cutting diagonally across.....quite undulating & fun to ride.....this track would prove to be important...but more on that later!

Whilst on Sandhurst, I spotted a track in the scrub, no fence, no gate (the local at the servo said, when I asked, don't ride in gated land as this is more than likely private land) and I can only assume it was parks land.

This track continued for at least 7 k's getting narrower as I went.

Until it was virtually a single trail that lead out onto this plain.

I rode out onto the grassy plain but foolishly did not take note of where I had come out of the scrub!!
I had decided that I should return as the crew would be ready to start cooking the BBQ by now but upon turning around, the entry point had vanished.
Nevertheless, I rode towards the scrub and entered what I thought was the right track only to be caught in dense trees and quite rocky ground.
It was getting late and the bike was boiling so I managed to get back onto the plain.
Another attempt proved futile and I was starting to get worried.
With the sun to my left I knew the coast would be dead ahead so I crossed the plain and I finally saw a power line in the distance.
Beelining to this found me on the previously mentioned Powerline track and I knew this was good.

This brought me back to Sandhurst Road and finally back home.....just in time for dinner!
I think a GPS is on the cards for me!!!
The following day was spent with the families where we once again dined at the Penneshaw Pub (fantastic fish & chips) and then on to Dudley Winery for a few tastes.....once agin...all within 10kms of Penneshaw!
Sadly, we were leaving late that afternoon so our trip to KI was soon ending.

Still, what a great place it was, and now armed with some local track knowledge (and a new GPS) I know the next trip will be an absolute beauty!
Cheers,
Con.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,148
GPS is the go Con, Have a look at the new Garmin Montana, Ducks guts I reckon

Cheers

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Sol Erzenberg
Lost somewhere

Oddometer: 1,314
Great ride report & top photos Con..

Fiona & I were over there in early December, wished I had taken the bike as we found some great tracks in & around the Vivonne Bay area. We even did the Quad bike tour which was a lot of fun.

Caught heaps of Marron, Yabbies, Salmon Trout, Mullet & Bream, basically lived off what we caught, along with lots of wine purchases made at the various wineries..

How good is Dudley Winery, we sat there for a couple of hours one afternoon & enjoyed a King George Whiting Pizza & a few ice cold glasses of Sauv Blanc..

Next time we go there, I'm definitely taking the 690..

All the best for the New Year mate.

Cheers, Sol..
2005 Honda XR400R.
1998 Yamaha DT200.
1981 Maico 490M.
1979 Honda CR125R Elsinore.
1978 Suzuki RM 100.
ARIEL MCC

Sol Erzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
scuberdiver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Great report there Con. Myself and the other half are going over in June
scuberdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
dirt4me
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thats beautiful country. Im glad someone is out there taking on the world, while we here are envious and anxiously awaiting spring. Tonight will be a balmy -17c here in northern Utah.
dirt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
LC4nicator OP
Certified Wino

Thanks Dirt4me......If it's any consolation, it's forecasted at 44C here in Adelaide at the moment with at least a week more at between 36 & 41!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
dirt4me
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
...now you're just being cruel. Have fun..
dirt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Gasman_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Nice....................

is there a back road to get there, I don't want to pay the ferry fees..........

good report mate.
Gasman_ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
aeneas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great photos, looks like a nice trip you had !
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote