User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
TheBaldReverend OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Garmin 60csx not suitable for motorbikes?

Hi,

I've had a bit of problem with two Garmin 60csx units - they have both let water in that appears as numerous large drops behind the screen.

Today I've spoken with Garmin and arranged for it to be replaced under warranty and the guy on the phone said he has spoken with his supervisor and that the 60csx is not suitable for use on motorbikes. He blamed vibration and said that they are waterproof 'but not designed to have water hit them at high speed'.

Has anyone else had problems with the 60csx letting in water or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks
TheBaldReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,308
I've never had water get into mine; I'd say you are particularly unlucky with this particular unit.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
TheBaldReverend OP
Adventurer

The thing is, I've had two units and they've both had the same problem. That's some bad luck!
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,308
Well, the question I would pose to garmin, is "what is the definition of waterproof?"
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Well, the question I would pose to garmin, is "what is the definition of waterproof?"
They define that pretty well already. IPX7 is the spec they normally list, which is accidental immersion for up to 30 minutes. Immersion is very different to hitting water drops at 40+ MPH.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
My 60 cx has survived many bad rainstorms over the past 4 years without getting any water in it. I don't think the screen has even fogged up.

It is pretty easy to take the unit apart. There about 6 small screws. The water seal seems to be a thin gasket that goes between the two case parts. If it were me I would smear some silicone grease on that gasket and put the cases back together and make sure the screws were tight.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,245
A large thumper will take any 60 out. It take some time, but within a few rides the effects are there. If you want to use a 60 on a bike that shakes you need to isolate it.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
TheBaldReverend OP
Adventurer

I had them mounted on a Touratech mount which has rubber mountings to help reduce the vibration. The thing is both units got wet behind the screen as soon as it rained.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
A large thumper will take any 60 out. It take some time, but within a few rides the effects are there. If you want to use a 60 on a bike that shakes you need to isolate it.

how large does the thumper need to be, I have thousands of miles on dirt roads with a 60 csx , ram mount KLR even in a rain storm so bad the noise of the rain on my helmet drowned out the sound of the bike....the gps did fine...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post

What is this statement based on?

Garmin 60 is BY FAR the most popular GPS at Dual Sport rides (50 to 500 riders) and there are very few reported problems. I like the 76 better but they both are quite reliable.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,734
BryceB has also had 1 or 2 60csx models fail because of rain too. He's the only one I know personally that has had issues.

I've got one myself, and it certainly gets wet. Its rated as IPX7 so I surely expect it to stay dry inside.

I wonder in any of these cases was the USB port being used for power instead of the 4 prong plug? Also were the rubber covers over these ports closed if they weren't being used?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,177
I've had my 60csx for a couple of years and no problems. I just got back from riding the Continental Divide where we got caught in a rain/hail storm. the next morning there was condensation on the inside of the screen and it was unable to get a satellite fix. I put it in a bag of rice and after three days it finally started working and everything seems fine now. I was fortunate I was in a group and not doing a solo trip. I'll look into putting some silicone around the gasket like was mentioned but I'll never trust it again in the rain.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
TheBaldReverend OP
Adventurer

I just had a quick look on the Garmin website and their motorbike specific Zumo models have the same IPX7 waterproof rating so I think what I was told on the phone is a load of crap.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldReverend View Post
so I think what I was told on the phone is a load of crap.

You got some telemarketer who only thinks there Zumo models are for motorcycles.

You should have asked how the 276/376/478 models would work on a moto.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
I use my 60 cx on a KLR and a KTM 450 (both thumpers). I probably put 6-8k miles a year on it and nearly all offroad. I have had my 60cx fail a couple of times where it would act like it was losing power - both external and battery.

I fixed it both times by taking it apart. For the battery there are two springy contacts that transmit power from the battery to the main board. I cleaned the contacts and bent them up a little and put dielectric grease on them.

For the external power I cleaned the connector contacts and put dielectric grease in them.

Maybe this is what Hair is talking about.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote