Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
ericGSsti OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
The place I was Born. A day in the Wicklow hills.

I haven't had a day to myself in a few weeks now so I took the day off work and didn't really know where to go other then the fact I was going riding the Africa Twin.

Started by spraying the screen on the AT that had seen better days. Sprayed it black. Happy with it. I then headed to M50 Honda to order a new drive for the Twins speedo.

Ended up spending the day around Kilbride, Sally Gap, kippure, Coffee in Glencree visitors centre and a visit to the WW2 German cemetery. A run around the area then looking for any road I'd never been on. Stopped at powerscourt water fall but wasn't going to pay in so headed back across the Gap to Glendalough for some lunch. Then back up around the hills again for a final run back across to Tallaght, onto the M50 and up to Mutts Nuts to clean the KTM.

Left about 10:00 and got home at 18:00. So a good day with my babies.

Here's a few pics.
Forest track Kilbride Area:

Sally Gap:

Coffee in Glencree Visitors centre.

The German Cemetery.

Lunch in Glendalough upper car Park. 7.00

You be wondering about the title then. (where I was born).

This area and it streaches all the way out to the Glen of Imaal is where I was born as a solider. This place will always have a place in my heart. I walked every inch of Sally Gap area with full pack, I succeeded, I failed, I laughed, I cried, I bleed and I sweated. I was warm, I was cold but the beauty of the area has always been there when you'd look up. For over 16 years I have been a part of this area and I will always return when I have time to spare.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Love ride reports from Ireland. I toured around the south and west about five years ago and look forward to doing it again sometime. I came over again last year but not by bike. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Your affection for the land and it's memories are well reflected in the pics. Thanks.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote