Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post

With that in mind, why didn't you just have the first professional weld it up while you were there? Why bother the other two? Seems to me that would have taken care of the problem and saved you time. You still could have whined about here afterward.
Two professionals are not tig welders but people in industry and qualified to make comment.

The third, a tig welder tried to fix it but with the close setup of the two brackets means you cannot fit the hand piece into the correct postion or close enough, he chased the crack so we gave up, so I did try and get it sorted locally with no fuss and at my cost.

Anyway thanks to CJs contacting me tonight it looks like we are all sorted. .. and yes that IS worth making a mention about CJ's having customer service that does go the extra mile, that reflects well for them and they now know there is an issue which will hopefully pay dividends for future riders through lesser problems.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
Glad to hear it's one less thing to worry about. Hope you get back on the road soon.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #18
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
I love CJ's work and have bought some small stuff from him but there is nothing wrong in talking about an issue with someone's product if you are sure that it was not due to mis-use / negligence.

If it was indeed a weld quality issue and if CJ acknowledged it, its good for both because the customer get his issue taken care of and the manufacturer gets valuable feedback and a chance to improve their product design/manuf process.

If i was thousands of kms away (like i am usually, in this part of the world) from the manuf. then i would definitely sort it out myself, but would make sure to leave some feedback to the manuf. and other users. If i was close by to the manufacturer and they agreed to replace the item, then i'd be happier.

No need to pile on the OP and call this as "bitching like a little girl".
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
I love CJ's work and have bought some small stuff from him but there is nothing wrong in talking about an issue with someone's product if you are sure that it was not due to mis-use / negligence.

If it was indeed a weld quality issue and if CJ acknowledged it, its good for both because the customer get his issue taken care of and the manufacturer gets valuable feedback and a chance to improve their product design/manuf process.

If i was thousands of kms away (like i am usually, in this part of the world) from the manuf. then i would definitely sort it out myself, but would make sure to leave some feedback to the manuf. and other users. If i was close by to the manufacturer and they agreed to replace the item, then i'd be happier.

No need to pile on the OP and call this as "bitching like a little girl".
Your post sums up how I feel, I did try to sort it and now CJ's are going to repair and test it so hopefully all good.

Not entirely sure what bones Capt. REDBEARD has with us as we have never offended him, never met him and to be honest don't want to, certainly his post is unhelpful and unwelcomed.

Anyway, hopefully all forward from here, unfortunately the tank leak is only one small part of our problem with the bike.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

Not entirely sure what bones Capt. REDBEARD has with us as we have never offended him, never met him and to be honest don't want to, certainly his post is unhelpful and unwelcomed.

my bones are this:

it is tough enough to be successful with a small business - let alone a one man shop specializing in niche KTM adventure parts. The owner [CJ] goes out of his way for this community providing information, feedback, product testing and just general mechanical advice - far above and beyond what most contribute here - myself included.

so how do you treat this vendor [CJ designs]? you come on here and air your dirty laundry about how he will not unconditionally warranty a product he did not sell you. I do not think it is beyond reason to want you to ship back the product so he can at least take a look at it before he determines what the next course of action will be. Which one of your "sponsors" are going to unconditionally warranty items to the new owners of your DRs? - my guess is none.

I was under the impression that you had tried nothing and were all out of ideas.
nothing bothers me more then people who know nothing and expect everyone else to fix their issues.
I did not realize that you brought it to a welder whom could not fix it.

I imagined that the time and energy put into posting about your problem - would have been enough to solve your problem locally - I was wrong.

good luck sorting out all your other issues....

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #21
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. REDBEARD View Post

I imagined that the time and energy put into posting about your problem - would have been enough to solve your problem locally - I was wrong.

good luck sorting out all your other issues....
Thank you for your reply, I could have started softer but after emails to Cj etc, trying to fixed it prior with NO fuss off the forum and having the rest of the shit dealt to us by the bike failures from Mr KTM950SE - Alfred, I was in no mood to start being nice again.

Right now all I want to do is accomplish getting things fixed so we can get on the road again and contribute to OC with my knowledge of KTMs.

Ay least the air is cleared and thank you for your last post, I learnt from this when the shit tank is overflowing probably better to step away and let the level of shit subside enough to make a softer post.

Now ... to deal with the lying previous owner.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,234
If you don't already know CJ...

Wow 2MK,

I'm surprised you don't already know CJ. I thought everybody in the worrld who owned a 9xx had already called his business office to ask about a product... having CJ answer the phone personally and spend a good 45 minutes offering up solutions that didn't always get directed toward a sale... simply getting to the truth of the situation.

For those others out there that have never dealt with CJ before, he is a pioneer in 9xx aftermarket solutions and improvements.

Yes he is a very small operation, but a very effective one. He is a top notch individual and goes completely out of his way to satisfy his customers... at great expense to his personal life and free time, for sure.

Just my own personal list of positive CJ 9xx customer service would itself make a long lengthy post. And I live completely across the country from him, with no real ties, and no exorbanent budgets to exhaust on 9xx parts like others.

I'm just an "everyday" guy and budget minded rider. But CJ treats me and other 9xx owners like VIP's. Because he cares about 9xx owners, adventure riders and his customers.

For those out there that don't know much about his products, they are great!!! I'd recommend perusing his website to get acclimated to high quality, high tech parts for the 9xx, like the awesome clear clutch covers, hardened waterpump shafts, customized clutch oil jets, two into one collectors, etc, etc, etc.

I do have a personal story about CJ and his fuel tanks.

I saw CJ at last year's Bend KTM Rally. I previously had several short talks with him over the phone about his fuel tanks and when they were going to market. CJ was taking his time to give them the proper R&D. When I saw him at the Rally I tried to talk him into selling me one of his prototype tanks he brought in on another bike, which was probably going to just sit around collecting dust in his garage later on. CJ made a point that he wouldn't sell his prototype because he wanted to make sure he sold the new production line which he deemed to be the most solid choice.

That's just CJ... more concerned about the end result then making a sale.

Just my humble 2 cents worth...

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 08:59 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #23
GSingWI
Drunken Irishman

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Wow 2MK,

I'm surprised you don't already know CJ. I thought everybody in the worrld who owned a 9xx had already called his business office to ask about a product... having CJ answer the phone personally and spend a good 45 minutes offering up solutions that didn't always get directed toward a sale... simply getting to the truth of the situation.

For those others out there that have never dealt with CJ before, he is a pioneer in 9xx aftermarket solutions and improvements.

Yes he is a very small operation, but a very effective one. He is a top notch individual and goes completely out of his way to satisfy his customers... at great expense to his personal life and free time, for sure.

Just my own personal list of positive CJ 9xx customer service would itself make a long lengthy post. And I live completely across the country from him, with no real ties, and no exorbanent budgets to exhaust on 9xx parts like others.

I'm just an "everyday" guy and budget minded rider. But CJ treats me and other 9xx owners like VIP's. Because he cares about 9xx owners, adventure riders and his customers.

For those out there that don't know much about his products, they are great!!! I'd recommend perusing his website to get acclimated to high quality, high tech parts for the 9xx, like the awesome clear clutch covers, hardened waterpump shafts, customized clutch oil jets, two into one collectors, etc, etc, etc.

I saw CJ at last year's Bend KTM Rally. I previously had several short talks with him over the phone about his fuel tanks and when they were going to market. CJ was taking his time to give them the proper R&D. When I saw him at the Rally I tried to talk him into selling me one of his prototype tanks he brought in on another bike, which was probably going to just sit around collecting dust in his garage later on. CJ made a point that he wouldn't sell his prototype because he wanted to make sure he sold the new production line which he deemed to be the most solid choice.

+1
Couldn't agree more! Very well said ^^^^
GSingWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Wow 2MK,

Good post DesertSurfer

We do know of CJ, our bike has many CJ parts on it which was one of the bigger drawcards for buying the bike, unfortunately most of the cool parts are being sold to pay for epic repairs

I too am a small business owner in my professional life and I am more than well aware of going the extra mile too, we are lucky enough to be a on a 2 year RTW trip as present.

We (Ellen and I) have been caught between a rock and three hard places having trustingly bought a bike from a fellow ADVer through the Flea Market and to be honest we have been taken for a HUGE ride with fairly epic amount of work being needed toasting our pocket, our time schedule and faith.

We are on a budget and we have now spent our "just in case" pot on this bike only to need to spend reasonably big money to repair it as well, thus everything we paid for in extra farkles we are having to sell just to fix it, be fair to say I have gone past my gutted point and grumpy point.

Anyway, we chatted last night, I have sent our payment for shipping to CJ and booked it in to his shop to take care of it.

One more thing taken care of, now to deal with the next pile of shit.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #25
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,124
Craig is a Very Good (And Patient) Man to deal with. Its good that he is repairing a tank YOU didnt purchase from him. Most companies do NOT warranty an item that was resold. So You got lucky
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Yes it did come with the bike, to be fair the tank was unmarked, undamaged and unscratched, just leaking at the edge of the weld.

Three different professionals have looked at it and said it has defective welding at the base of the joint, I have engineering qualifications too and believe the same however whatever I say will be taken as bias so discount me from the equation.

I personally think two plates half welded is less than ideal, one single thicker plate fully welded would take less effort and give a better result, again this could be taken as bias.
I think your sole purpose was understood by everyone you wanted it fixed for free.

You cant look at a weld at tell it will hold or not. Xraying is the only way.

You are lucky CJ is a true step above because frankly he owes you nothing.

You say your done being nice cause somebody did you wrong, karma will end up biting you in the end. Careful
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
If you need it for temp, JB weld might work (two part). I know it holds up against oil. I don't expect it would cost much for a local welder to weld it up. The worse part is its a fuel tank.

Good luck!

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #28
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,534
I would have the trucking company (picture in link below) pay for the damage,,,

http://www.twomotokiwis.com/
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
I think your sole purpose was understood by everyone you wanted it fixed for free.

You cant look at a weld at tell it will hold or not. Xraying is the only way.

You are lucky CJ is a true step above because frankly he owes you nothing.

You say your done being nice cause somebody did you wrong, karma will end up biting you in the end. Careful
Without knowing all the facts Bonehead you make some bad assumptions but thanks for your input anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
I would have the trucking company (picture in link below) pay for the damage,,,

http://www.twomotokiwis.com/
I wish we could, unfortunately (fortunately) the tank has no damage whatsoever.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #30
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 826
Sorry

To hear that you are having so many problems. From the DRZ's to the poor decision to purchase the SE for an around the world bike. I would have expected the SE to have some issues. That bike is purchased to be thrashed off road not handled with care. On the other hand, I would be pissed if the bike showed up the way it did, all dirty and s$%#. Good thing it had good farkles that can help with the repairs.
CJ's water pump kit is set for 20k. and ++ for CJ and the and out on the repair.
Good luck from now on out.

Plus it wouldn't be an adventure.
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote