User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
kickstandsup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
ATGATT and your pillion

Yesterday, my wife and I went for a beautiful ride on The Hammer, up and over the Dragoons via Gleeson Road, ending at Pizzeria Mimosa for lunch. And canolli. You can't forget da canolli.

The Mrs. is a bit claustrophobic. I didn't know that years ago when I invited her for a ride, but soon learned. Showing up to my, what is now our, house for a ride to Kitt Peak, one of our local Sky Islands, I laid out the gear she was to use. "I thought I was going to get a tan; I have to wear all this?" Well, yes.

She dutifully donned the somewhat fitting jacket and pants, took instruction on what to do as a pillion, then was ready to pull on the full-face helmet. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, I can't wear this!!!!" Ok, ok, open the visor, let's try that. "Aaaaaaaaaaa, ok, ok, aaaaaaaaaa, ok, ok." That's good, breathe, breathe... Now we have to do up the D-ring. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaa."

Since that time, she has become an ATGATT convert, is a terrific pillion and a great back seat photodocumentarian. She's even named her 'stich "Shelia" and mine "Bob." That's so when we're at a restaurant we can get a table for four.

What does this backstory have to do with yesterday's ride? Glad you asked. Heading out of Tombstone over the Dragoons, Krisanne gives me the sideways thumb sign: stop at the next available opportunity.

Getting off, she says "I'm freezing." It is 62 degrees. "I'm freezing." You haven't closed all the zips around your arms and neck. "I'm freezing." Ok, your liners are in the right saddlebag.

The Hammer patiently waiting, she layers up.

Almost ready to resume the ride, I mention that she should cinch up her arm zips to keep the wind out. "Aaaaaaaaaa."

"Aaaaaaaaaa, I can't cinch anything else up. Sometimes you have to just say 'stop the insanity'."

For about the next ten miles, I'm laughing almost uncontrollably in my helmet; Bryan Adams' "Have you ever really loved a woman?" playing on the iPod.
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 883
My wife rarely rides with me, but she understood from the start that without proper gear there is no ride. We had fun going out to shop for gear for her. One rule I had was, it can't match mine.

My niece is still pissed at me because I won't let her on the bike dressed the way she wants. Rules is rules.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
My wife rarely rides with me, but she understood from the start that without proper gear there is no ride. We had fun going out to shop for gear for her. She enjoyed the shopping, but still doesn't ride.
Fixed to reveal my reality.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 8,980
My wife resisted a little, but can be swayed by logic. It isn't so much that she is claustrophobic in the gear, but rather too hot when summer temps get above 100 degrees.

Showing her pictures of road rash on the internet is good for at least 6 months with no arguing.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 668
I realise the ATGATT police will get me for this - but they won't get my wife...

She's been my pillion for 44 years now, over half a million miles, and perfected the art of going to sleep on the boring bits 43 years ago.

We fell off once 43.5 years ago - never since.

But the point of this post is that she's never changed her get-up since those days, except for a full-face helmet after the first 4 years: leather jacket, gloves, jeans, fashion high boots superannuated from daily wear. (She doesn't need heels, as she's 6ft tall.) Has a one-piece oversuit for rain, recognises its utility, but bitches about its appearance - and she has grounds for that.

I'm not going to jeopardize 44 years of togetherness for an insistence on ATGATT - it's half a million miles of injury-free riding, anyway, so I'd have quite a hurdle on that ground alone.

PJay screwed with this post 03-09-2015 at 02:37 PM
PJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,855
My Fiance wanted to ride with me it is a requirement she wear full gear just like I do.

She got her own bike, wearing the same gear had a bad get off.

Simply put it saved her life (head trauma, would have been dead if wearing anything less than full gear).

Wont even consider a passenger without it.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 875
ATGATT is even more important to the passenger because if they bother me too much I'll just dump them right off the back!

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 668
As in the famous T-shirt: "If you can read this, the bitch fell off".
Old 03-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,374
I'm not ATTGATT myself. I dress for the ride, sometimes that's full gear and sometimes I cheat a little for more casual ride. When my wife rides with me we generally wear the same level of gear.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,151
Going on group rides with others who are ATGATT types gave my wife the bug to go shopping and fit in. Before introducing her to the Group she didn't like wearing a properly fitted helmet, wanted to wear shorts and she thought sandals were cool.
While it gives me some comfort knowing she has the right gear on.
Her best protection is the Nut connecting the handlebars to the saddle.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Old 03-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,102
They are too important to not wear the gear. No gear, no ride, no exceptions.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM   #13
kickstandsup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Shelia and Bob

…our dueling 'stitches. Mr. Happy Puppet needs some gear…

Aaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Attached Images

kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #14
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 680
My sweetie's looking for her first jacket and helmet. At first she was OK with riding in jeans- mostly 'cause of the cost, I think, and was a bit cranky about my rule of full gear for full speed (over 35 or so). We went for an evening ride in the Oakland hills (45 degrees) and a shopping trip to Scuderia where the young lady behind the register gave a detailed account of her last get-off.

Now my sweetie wants full gear. I'm very happy with this. Nothing quit as unnerving as a knowing yer pillion ain't packed right.

DustyRags screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 01:21 AM
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #15
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I'm not ATTGATT myself. I dress for the ride, sometimes that's full gear and sometimes I cheat a little for more casual ride. When my wife rides with me we generally wear the same level of gear.
same here, I dress for comfort, not safety as does my GF

I do not consider it cheating

you are cheating yourself if your gear diminishes the riding experience, some of the best riding experiences are 2up without gear, wind in your face and hair, an occasional reach around
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote