User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
mceee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
"Fly and Ride"

I need some advice from the pro's that have pulled off the "Fly and Ride" without a hitch! So my first "fly and ride", I talked to the prick for over two weeks daily, and offered to give a deposit multiple times, but got the "naw bro, don't worry bout it, I'm holding this bitch for you no prob" line. Well after spending $450 on a plane ticket I found out while I was actually sitting at the F'n airport that the piece of shit sold the bike! My second fly and ride about 3 years later ended in a bike that had a serious transmission problem after being told that "nothing was mechanically wrong with the bike". Well after settling on a price and having him pick me up from the airport, he refused to lower the price to repair the bike leaving me to buy a "double the cost" return ticket with NO BIKE! How can you possibly better the odds in these situations? I am actually looking at doing this again, but am scared shitless that I am going to get screwed over again. Can anyone out there give me some advice?
mceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,709
Have an independent 3rd party check the bike over.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,495
What he said. Look on the local regional forum for the area and ask an inmate to go check it out for you. Most of us will do it.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
What he said. Look on the local regional forum for the area and ask an inmate to go check it out for you. Most of us will do it.

1911fan

"The bike was such a POS I went ahead and 'took it off the market' to save you the trouble."
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,495
LOL, I hope not. I know I'd be willing to go check out a bike locally for an inmate on a fly n drive, but it seems like bad manners to snatch it out from under him.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
You must not have much selection in your neck of the woods. The only way I would do it is if buying new from a reputable dealership, and I just got a great price on a last year's leftover model or a hard to find model.

I'm skeptical yes, but I have seen too much shit out there and too many scams mostly from eBay and craigslist. Good luck to you if you insist on doing this, because the odds are against you.

The only thing that might put the odds in your favor is, to try looking at the community forums for that model of bike you are looking for.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
Buy from a reputable Dealer... They do exist.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #8
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I'm with the others, have an inmate check it out and/or go through a reputable dealer.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
A Positive Experience

I've recently gotten home from a fly & ride.
The seller met me at the airport, his wife cooked dinner, they gave me a bed to sleep on, the bike had more accessories than were listed in the ad and we negotiated a price that was satisfactory for both of us.
Couldn't be happier
Richard

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
I've recently gotten home from a fly & ride.
The seller met me at the airport, his wife cooked dinner, they gave me a bed to sleep on, the bike had more accessories than were listed in the ad and we negotiated a price that was satisfactory for both of us.
Couldn't be happier
Richard
Man, some guys have all the luck. I can't even get my own wife to cook me dinner.

Posted from the couch
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
i've done two "train and rides." the first one, the seller wrecked the bike right in front of me as I was walking through his neighborhood to his house. he later fixed the bike back up and delivered to me for much less than the original asking. ran like a charm. sold it to a buddy, and it's still running perfect. second one, the bike also ran like a charm, but had a couple aesthetic issues the seller didn't mention. no biggie. I think a big part of it is getting a feeling for what kind of guy you are dealing with while communicating with him beforehand. things like details that would affect resale that keep revealing themselves over a series of messages...bad sign. seller is irregular at responding to messages: bad sign. and always talk on the phone at least once, not just email. it's harder for people to remember what to say and what not to say when they are on the phone vs an email. one guy made the bike sound amazing via email, then on the phone he let it slip that, among other things, someone had swapped in an ignition from a smaller cc bike by the same company, which had started a long series of electrical issues. no mention of that in the ad or email.

just remember to ask all the questions, and trust your gut about the guy. if you have a weird feeling about it that you are trying to suppress because it's "such a good deal" or "just the bike I was after at a price I can pay", listen to the weird feeling. otherwise, stick to local sales. also, if you can get the guy to ride the bike a couple hours partway to you, that's a pretty good sign that he trusts the bike enough for you to ride it the rest of the way back.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
The one and only time that I did a fly and ride was to buy a Honda ST-1100 from a long time owner and st-owners forum member. It is a tight-knit community of old codgers so when they vouched for the seller I felt I could take their word for it.

I would NOT do a fly and ride with someone that calls you "bro" and his bike "bitch".
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
When I did a fly and ride, a few years ago...
I contacted a dealer near the seller and arranged for them to look it over at my expense. All the seller had to do was ride it over to that dealer, a few miles from his house. No problems for the 5000 mile scenic route home.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
vaara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
The one and only time that I did a fly and ride was to buy a Honda ST-1100 from a long time owner and st-owners forum member. It is a tight-knit community of old codgers so when they vouched for the seller I felt I could take their word for it.
I did the same! In 1996, for a '93 ST that was up here in NorCal (I was living in LA at the time).

The only problem was accidentally accelerating to 95mph when I got onto the freeway for the first time.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I did a 450 mile drive & ride with my wife last month for an ST1300. I think the thing that put me most at ease was several phone calls I had with the seller.
k5mitch is online now   Reply With Quote