Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #1291
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Actually it's exactly the same. You don't sense the handlebars steering into the turn at speed, but they do.
The why do we see racers coming out of a turn with the front wheel pointing to the outside of the turn?

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #1292
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
The why do we see racers coming out of a turn with the front wheel pointing to the outside of the turn?
Often, they're sliding around the corner. The front wheel is still pointed toward the turn, the back end is just coming around a bit.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #1293
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4ce View Post
Good thing you tried it at 45mph. Had you been going 39 then counter steering wouldn't have work as the effect only starts working at 39.9 mph.
Heres an update: It works heading north as well as south. 39.9 feels ok but holding it there sucks
Old 07-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #1294
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
Jim has it right, the bar comes back at you once you have it leaned, that is the self correction effect on the steering head geometry.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #1295
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesx2 View Post
Honestly I dont know. Was I counter steering and didnt realize it? Was I pushing left to go right like a slow speed turn?. This explaines why in my first few weeks of riding it always felt like I couldnt get out of left turns and get the bike back to verticle and felt like i was going to slide off the seat .
What ever it was I dont want to be back in that place. Rideing is so much more enjoyable now

You know, I spent some time thinking of ways to kill this thread. It's so full of really rotten information (Admittedly, there is some really solid information here as well!) that I just wanted it to become so toxic that it died. The bad just seemed to outweigh the good by such a huge percentage....

Then you post.. .... Somebody got it! At least one person actually got on their bike, tried it and had that moment of brilliance when they discover that it is utterly simple and works exactly as described.

Eh, one down.....

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #1296
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
You know, I spent some time thinking of ways to kill this thread. It's so full of really rotten information (Admittedly, there is some really solid information here as well!) that I just wanted it to become so toxic that it died. The bad just seemed to outweigh the good by such a huge percentage....

Then you post.. .... Somebody got it! At least one person actually got on their bike, tried it and had that moment of brilliance when they discover that it is utterly simple and works exactly as described.

Eh, one down.....
Thanks!!!

Now im looking for the route to and from work that has the most turns because leaning more into the turn then ever before is so much fun. I was missing out on so much
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #1297
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 673
We've created the perpetual motion machines, known as the countersteering discussion thread.

CS "initiates" or "adjusts" the lean, once leaned into the turn the front tire turns in onto the intended curve radius.

To lean more, or less, CS increases lean, steering decreases it.