User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
building a sidecar

I have had much help learning stuff from others on this forum during the last months, so I would like to contribute some my self about my ongoing build. see if this works, trying to submit a picture.

ANKOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

wow it works. is this the right place to put a build thread? or should I put it in asembly required?

short history. bought this bike in august, had wanted a honda gl 1000 for a while and found this with a velorex 700 at a good price. thought I could remove the hack cause riding with a hack must be hell if you like riding a bike. but to my surprise it was instant love. after I came over the chock of the first test ride, its a very bad idea to go straight out in traffic if you have never run a sidecarrig before. much to my surprise I survived and I was in love.

only problem was that I found the velorex ugly and I undarstand its a little weak on the side of a goldwing.

got help from a workshop in town to bend the tubes. picked them up before cristhmas and spotwelded it.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,331
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
MILLENNIUM FALCON
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Looks Good! I'm about finished with my own homemade rig. I cant wait to see more pictures of yours.
MILLENNIUM FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
C.a.d.

Love the
C ardboard
A ided
D esign!
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

thanks. yes, I allways try to use the latest cutting edge technology, heard alot of cad so I tought I try it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
NitroMax
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley/Hobbfather View Post
Love the
C ardboard
A ided
D esign!
1200 cc Z1000 dragbike (1976)
300 cc MZ transporthack (1989) winterhack
900 cc BMW R 90/6 hack ( 1976) summerhack
750 cc BMW K 75 RT ( 1993 ) daily driver

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter ( Mark Twain )
NitroMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,582

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
That looks really good.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANKOF View Post
wow it works. is this the right place to put a build thread? or should I put it in asembly required?
I'm going to let this run a bit so the Hack guys can get a look & subscribe if they want. I'll probably move this to AR in a week of two.

Looks great BTW.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,300
Looks like a good start.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

started it like this. thought I build a cafe style bike first, very popular in the naked goldwing society. but I live along a gravel road and thats no good with ordinary street tires. so I put on conti tkc 80`s and aimed for a scrambler. the new tires work fantastic by the way, very nice on both gravel and asphalt, wet or dry.

some more pictures of the body. the shop where I work is closed over christmas/new year, have been very nice and quite.
used 0,7mm steel, would have prefered 1mm I think, but I have alot of the 0.7 lying around. I did not want aluminium because I want to put som weight in the hack. and the steel is cheaper, I was not sure if it will turn out ok. the velorex was 75 kg and i wold like the new one to be a little more. the new one will be wider to.

how much difference in handling will it be if you have the same weight but something like 25cm/10" wider?

I allso could use some ideas about material for saddle seat and cover for the sidecar,( I think "cover" is the wrong word but I cant remember the right one.) I think waxed cotton may look cool but I dont know if it will work? how does real leather work? it must age beautifull or will it rotten during a wet summer? compared to leather lookalike? I have located a seamstress that need some metal work done on her house so we can trade.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANKOF View Post
how much difference in handling will it be if you have the same weight but something like 25cm/10" wider?
I pulled mine in about 10" from where I started, and the difference in the amount of throttle/brake skew was very noticeable.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

"the amount of throttle/brake skew was very noticeable" was it all bad or did you win something? can you widen the rig insted of adding ballast? narrow with heavy hack or wider with lightweight hack will that be the same? dont think I have read something about that?
I have thought about sc wheel led, weight and wide enough to be reasonable comfortable.