User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #76
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Hi-viz with contrast

I would suggest some sort of Hi-viz with a contrasting dark color (black or blue). That is what I have noticed to get me noticed the best. Be aware that the Hi-viz will fade with time. I wear a Aerostitch Hi-viz yellow with black ballastics on the shoulders, knees and elbows. I get addressed as an officer alot when off the bike going in and out of places for quick errands. I also notice that folks tend to "part the seas" so to speak for me when on the road.

Just simply my observations.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 AM   #77
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
He's not meaning to act like a LEO, he just wears his vest . It's the colors that do it. The blue, especially, a bright police blue combined with the letters MOTO make drivers react and behave better. By the way, those letters are printed on a black panel inserted across the shoulders, highly visible.

Yeah. I'd be careful with that. He may not be "meaning to act like a" Police Officer, but he knows he does and is taking advantage of it.

He may run into an Officer or a Trooper that isn't going to buy the "Well, I can't help it if other people think I'm an officer."

He needs to lose the "police blue" stripe.

A bright orange stripe is just as noticeable and people aren't going to... um... "Confuse" him with a Police Officer.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #78
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
That would piss me off; it looks blinding on my screen. I think you make yourself a target.
Not to worry, they are angled down 5, so unless you are 20 feet in front of me they are not blinding. I rode behind a friend yesterday and he said they are fine so long as I wasn't less than 20 feet away.

I'll see if I get flashed, though I didn't yesterday in 180 miles of riding.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #79
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
From a UK article on the topic, one that I agree with,

Good conspicuity is not just about what a rider wears or whether they have lights on the bike, but also about good road positioning, speed and direction as well as considering the blind spots and vision limitations of other drivers and vehicles around them.
Totally agree, and Hi-Vis clothing can only benefit good riding tactics

There is a reason that HiVis is mandatory in many industries, it just plain works !

But...... Wear what you want to wear.

But ..... Please don't try to rationalize that it's not really all that effective

If I could only have one set of gear it would be HiVis and a white helmet.
Worse case scenario for my normal riding day is +2c / raining / 60-100k speed / moderate - heavy big city commuter traffic.

Lucky for me, I'm a bit a gear whore and have a bunch to chose from, but I'm not confused about what safety equipment gives me the best chances to be seen in traffic.

Be informed, make informed decisions

My 2
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #80
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..

Oddometer: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not to worry, they are angled down 5, so unless you are 20 feet in front of me they are not blinding. I rode behind a friend yesterday and he said they are fine so long as I wasn't less than 20 feet away.

I'll see if I get flashed, though I didn't yesterday in 180 miles of riding.

Jim
Cool. I see lots of people here that have their (car) headlights way up high and are always blinding people.
Back where I come from when they inspect the vehicle, it takes much longer and they check lots more
stuff including the headlight alignment.

Here, I have NEVER seen anyone do it and I've been here for 15 years...
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #81
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
Totally agree, and Hi-Vis clothing can only benefit good riding tactics

There is a reason that HiVis is mandatory in many industries, it just plain works !

But...... Wear what you want to wear.

But ..... Please don't try to rationalize that it's not really all that effective

If I could only have one set of gear it would be HiVis and a white helmet.
Worse case scenario for my normal riding day is +2c / raining / 60-100k speed / moderate - heavy big city commuter traffic.

Lucky for me, I'm a bit a gear whore and have a bunch to chose from, but I'm not confused about what safety equipment gives me the best chances to be seen in traffic.

Be informed, make informed decisions

My 2
Nah, there's no doubt that hi viz IS more visible. For me it wasn't really a choice. Well, it was when I started asking but it turns out that not many people make a 5x jacket and definitely not many whose jackets I can afford :(

I saw an awesome looking hi viz jacket at competition accessories but they only make it in 3x and I need 5x
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #82
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,835
You can put a 3' tall flashing neon strobe light on the top of your helmet and the inattentive cager will NOT see you. You have to ride with that thought at the very top of your OODA loop!!!

If your high-viz ensemble makes you 1/10th of 1% less aware of your surroundings, ditch it.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #83
guiri OP

Damn right! Always ride like they're out to get you
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #84
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
4 years with Hi Viz now and I almost never have someone pull out in front of me. It used to happen on an almost weekly basis. I still will have ocasional lane changers try to get me but no left turners or right siders pulling out. It makes a real difference. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I would not ride with out it now.
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #85
guiri OP

Hey, old and wise :)