Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Man, I wonder how much wear was done to the top end with all the dust that had to make it in there.

I'd consider pulling the cylinder head, and inspecting it and maybe plan on having the cylinder replated and do piston, rings and valves.

Now you're just freaking out a new 990 owner. If it is running fine, don't worry about it. Did you add some wear to that cylinder, yeah, maybe, but that doesn't mean it needs a preventative top-end job.

Plug the barb for now. Go on-line and find a smog schematic for the bike, figure out what does go there and get it hooked back up. No problem.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Now you're just freaking out a new 990 owner. If it is running fine, don't worry about it. Did you add some wear to that cylinder, yeah, maybe, but that doesn't mean it needs a preventative top-end job.

Plug the barb for now. Go on-line and find a smog schematic for the bike, figure out what does go there and get it hooked back up. No problem.
Did you see how dirty the barb was? You're right it's likely ok, I'd at least do a leak down and/or compression test.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Here's the smog schematic. Looks like they both tee and go to the same place, the carbon canister.

http://173.74.246.25/munnracing/inde...uckee&state=CA

Sorry, the link didn't work. Go to that site, click on '09, click on 990, click on evap canister and you'll see the diagram.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Did you see how dirty the barb was? You're right it's likely ok, I'd at least do a leak down and/or compression test.
I hear what you're saying, but if the bike is running fine and the guy isn't a big bike wrench and the bike is down some compression, what then? To the dealer for a top end on a bike that's running fine?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #20
bikepharmer OP
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 140
Quote:

Thanks, Brents347, I have no plans to tear down a cylinder at this point. Bike was running fine, seems strong, zero oil consumption. I will check out the link you gave and see what it says. I will also go through my service manual. It is on CD, and it is a bit awkward since you have to bounce around and it is tougher in the e-format.

I am really puzzled what went on the barb and how it is routed. Weird... Here is a pic from the FSM. Looks like they are blocked off in this photo (Ignore numbers, this was for something else in the manual). On my bike the rear has two hoses coming off the intake, and the front only one, with the one barren hose barb. So...just block it off?

bikepharmer screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 11:19 PM
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
Thanks, Brents347, I have no plans to tear down a cylinder at this point. Bike was running fine, seems strong, zero oil consumption. I will check out the link you gave and see what it says. I will also go through my service manual. It is on CD, and it is a bit awkward since you have to bounce around and it is tougher in the e-format.

I am really puzzled what went on the barb and how it is routed. Weird... Here is a pic from the FSM. Looks like they are blocked off in this photo (Ignore numbers, this was for something else in the manual). On my bike the rear has two hoses coming off the intake, and the front only one, with the one barren hose barb. So...just block it off?

Thats the Euro spec bike like mine. It has the un-used holes plugged with an M6 screw.

Like has been said, yours is a USA spec bike so comes with extra smog stuff, both barbs are in place on both intakes, the ones that are blanked on the Euro bikes both need connecting to the evap canistor. Unless you decide to take that stuff off in which case you should blank them off with M6 screws as a secure method rather than bits of hose.....
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #22
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
Xactly.

Happy new year rides.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #23
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, but if the bike is running fine and the guy isn't a big bike wrench and the bike is down some compression, what then? To the dealer for a top end on a bike that's running fine?
I'm just above the opinion that with out knowing how long the bike has been eating dirt through the opening if it was down on compression I'd pull it apart before a broken ring takes out the cylinder and cylinder head.

As a new 990 owner he may not know that it's not running right, the best you've ridden is the you know.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #24
bikepharmer OP
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 140
Just saying thanks to all the OC folks who helped out

I ended up routing tubing into the "T" which ultimately runs to the evap canister, which is stock specifications.

A big thanks to those who posted and chimed in, provided photos and expertise, and got me back up and running.

Bike fired right up. I still need to burp the radiator because I drained the coolant to move it forward..no big deal, but will wait until the weather warms up a bit. It has been damn cold! Bike will be dormant for a few more weeks at least until we get some more rider friendly temps.

Cheers!

BP
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
nordicbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
I ended up routing tubing into the "T" which ultimately runs to the evap canister, which is stock specifications.

A big thanks to those who posted and chimed in, provided photos and expertise, and got me back up and running.

Bike fired right up. I still need to burp the radiator because I drained the coolant to move it forward..no big deal, but will wait until the weather warms up a bit. It has been damn cold! Bike will be dormant for a few more weeks at least until we get some more rider friendly temps.

Cheers!

BP
Could it be that the previous owner had a Scottoiler installed on the bike, that he took off before he sold it? Don't nail me on it, but I think this little connector is where you get the vacuum from, to open the valve in the Scottoiler! Looks familiar to me. I had a Scottoiler on my 990, but never saw the cylinder head from this perspective! I remember removing a plug on one of the cylinder heads and putting that kind of fitting in, which you see on your bike!

Maybe this could explain the open/unused connector!