User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Seavoyage OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Project Cheap Bast'd CR125R

Anyone with similar projects to inspire us for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Lets see your cr!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
So when are you going to fill us on on your mods?
A 94 CR125 just popped up locally for $600....tempting.
Note: If a '96-'01 Green sticker eligible 6-speed YZ125 was available for a similar price, we would have considered it over the CR125.

We did not want to go nuts with mods like most Magazine 'Budget Builds' that raise the project cost from $500 to a ridiculous $6149; here's a link to the Motorcycle USA CR125 Craigslist Killer Project and a comparison against a 2011 YZ125:

We took the opposite approach - Keep it simple (K.I.S.S.) and not go overboard. This is Project Low Bucks! We held a yard sale, sold a bunch of spare parts, useless farkles, and used riding gear on CraigsList to raise the funds to purchase this 1997 CR125R also listed on Craigslist. We've kept the project budget under $1000 before the first 50-hrs. top-end rebuild.

We didn't want to be wrenching - we had to go riding!

@ tjanson - Since you insist... Mods?

Priority 1: Mechanically sound; maintenance: nuts & bolts tight, spoke checks, oil changes, air filter, top end, clutch pack (with steel plates), brake pads, bearings, sprocket/chain, linkages, lubes, bled brakes,... DONE!

Went 2-teeth up on rear sprocket 51/14. Jetting seems fine for trail riding. Experimenting with 50:1 vs recommended 32:1. Using Castrol Power RS TTS Synthetic 2-stroke Oil at $11 per Liter from Powersport Superstore.com Enough for 6 tanks of gas, and No splooge!

Found discount and close-out deals on BikeBandit , RockyMountain ATV-MC, or Chapparal. Running Dunlop MX51 for now, then I'm back to Pirellis. Trials tires aren't made for 19" rims: besides it's too much grip for a 125cc... you gotta break loose. According to Eric Gorr: HD clutch springs not recommended on 125cc. Replaced OEM with steel clutch plates. Here's a link to Eric Gorr recommended engine mods for the 1997 CR125R. All Balls Wheel Bearing are under $20 each set. Maxima Pro Air filter $8.96. Parts Unlimited levers for $4

Discovered $45 Tusk clutch kit; $75 Primary Drive Sprocket and O-ring chain kit; and $72 Pro-X Piston kit or may try $49 Namura piston kit. OEM pistons are cast, manufactured by ART (Japan) and marketed as Pro-X. Namura hypereutetic cast pistons are made by ART (Taiwan). Wiseco is forged.

These parts should hold up for at least 50-hrs. $4/Qt. ATF-F or Shell Rotella T-3 works! (2 Qts. = 3 oil changes at 650cc transmission case volume; oil changes every 5-hrs.).

Priority 2: Suspension: Set-up for B Enduro 150 lbs. rider: the bike had the correct fork and shock spring rates based on static/race sag measurements. Changed fork-oil (5W and dropped oil level to achieve 130mm air gap), Tusk Forks seals $13/pair, set rear preload; and messed with the clickers to soften up for off-road. DONE!

Priority 3: Armor! Handguards, skid plate, pipe guard, disc guards, brake-snake, safety wire. All used from other projects, eBay or CraigsList. DONE! Postpone a bit for radiator guards.

The CR125 already came with a ProCircuit pipe and silencer, Moto Tassinari VForce3 Reed Block, and fresh Dunlop tires. New plastic, One Industries graphics and seat cover. IMS Super-stock foot pegs.

5-hrs on HotRods crankshaft assembly with Pro-X conrod, and Vertex piston. The frame was completely disassembled and powder coated black. Linkages/bearings all checked out. Clutch, brake rotors are all within spec. I replaced the front brake pad.

Found a Clarke 3.1 gallon tank through CraigsList: = $20

We'll see if a flywheel weight is worth it. Nah! We're done screwing around; we just ride the hell out of this bike

Seavoyage screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 07:59 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
I'm a cheap bast'd too.

i have a Beta rev3 trials bike for the tight stuff here as per your other thread. the motor is so sweet that i am considering making a hybrid which might get me the best of all worlds. full suspension, ergonomics and brakes with all that tork. Obviously will be giving back weight, turning quickness.

here's my lonely chassis:

I'm looking for a Beta or rotax 2 stroke mill for the hybridization
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Seavoyage OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I'm a cheap bast'd too.

i have a Beta rev3 trials bike for the tight stuff here as per your other thread. the motor is so sweet that i am considering making a hybrid which might get me the best of all worlds. full suspension, ergonomics and brakes with all that tork.
I'm looking for a Beta or rotax 2 stroke mill for the hybridization
@ dentvet

If I had a Beta REV3 this would be the first mod: http://www.trialsnuts.com/BetaLRK.htm

Followed by fork/shock revalving for heavier G-outs (The springs are fine). I figured this out since I often take my GasGas on a MX track. I need to be careful with so little rebound and compression dampening: When I get too much air I've pogoed right off the track or over the bars, and have blown a fork seal.

Swap out sprockets to get close to 3.64 ratio in 6th gear.

The Italians have figured it out:

but outside the Cheap Bast'd budget.

Here's another specimen I worked on earlier this year: Sorry it's a damn 4-stroke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seavoyage View Post
I've been planning on setting up a DS bike for the upcoming Sheetiron 300. Inspired by Mondo Enduro and the ADVrider Minimalist Touring thread.

My criteria was:

• K.I.S.S. on technology: pretty much bulletproof - low maintenance (read agricultural);
  • Weigh less than 300 lbs.
  • Street legal
  • and at a budget (<$1000) where I could just flog the bitch without crying in my beer.

The Good:

I got lucky earlier last week and picked up an operating 'junked' Suzuki DR350 listed on Craigslist (Stockton) for $250! That's less than the price of the set of Heidenau K60 Scout tires I just threw on my Tiger. The frame number (1994 DR350SE) and 1990 DR250 engine with a Mikuni TM34 Flatside carb did not match, and the seller did not have a title. I did some research on the VIN and tracked down the original owner up in Redding, who filed the 'junked' status in 2003 with DMV. I spent 48-hrs. getting the bits to make her street legal; drafted an affidavit "Statement of Facts' on the DMV form... on Monday DMV granted dual-registration: CA street plates plus Green Sticker! The registration fees almost cost as much as the bike.

'As Is' Highlights:

• White Brothers Mikuni TM34-2 Flatslide Carb with MotionPro CR Competition throttle
  • Supertrapp E.A.R. muffler (12 discs): tried to quiet down down to 6 discs but ran too rich.
  • Airbox top-cut out. Uni-filter
  • DR650 front forks
  • Maxxis MaxxiCross IT tires
  • Scotts shifter and chain guide

Phase 1: Meet DOT requirements for Highway use: Installed Moose Racing DOT headlight: $70, Acerbis Tail light: $32, LED rear signals: $13, Tusk racing front signals integrated in handguards: $45. Turn signal relay $15; Horn $7; dual sport mirror: $9; Hydraulic Brake switches: $13 x 2. YTX4L-BS Battery: $24 OEM switches. Speedometer/Odometer (use GPS); Kenda Trackmaster II DOT tires: $103/set (Used my tire irons to manually mount the new tires ).

Phase 2: Extend range: Acerbis 4.2 Gal tank: $216 (come's with dual petcocks... probably 250 mile range)

Phase 3: Tune up: Spark plug: $3; Uni-filter; $23; Carburetor jets: $10; Repack muffler: $11; Maxima chain wax: $8

Phase 4: Cosmetics: Polisport front fender: $5 (on sale), Fork Boots: $19 (eBay); Guts Racing seat cover $50 (Lot of work with a staple gun)

The Bad: The Mikuni TM34 in very temperamental. I played with jetting for three days trying to get her tuned as best as I could. Ended up with 30 pilot, 170 main, 6DH2 needle, 389 P-4 needle jet needle. Since I can't seem to tune to use less than 12-discs on the exhaust... rich at the Supertrapp recommended 8 discs, very difficult to start with 6 discs. It's still pretty loud even with a 'quiet core' Environment Acoustic Reduction system with fresh packing.

The Ugly! Cold kick starts on a DR250 is a specific ritual: and an absolute bitch!
Addendum: Sold all the extra parts off to recoup the cost of what I spent. Found a $50 FMF Ti-4 can from a WR450F which fit after I modified the mid-pipe. Added a FMF Quiet core to get below the 96dB sound restriction.

Bit the bullet and got a TM-33 carburetor from CarbPartsWarhouse and a bunch of jets; Called Jesse @ KeinTechfor a baseline recommendation; after a week of plug chops, she now starts right up!

AND performed flawlessly on the AMA D-36 300 mile SheetIron Dual Sport Ride; and the D-37 LA-Barstow-Las Vegas event!

She's now owned by a good friend who's very happy. We're currently transplanting a '94 RMX250 front end (Cartridge forks) I found for $150; and now run a Pirelli MT43 trials rear tire. We also found a DR350 motor- so a 441cc Overbore may be in the works.

Quote:
To the shock (disgust or pity) of many of my American friends on KLR650 and DR650; I frequently ride my 250cc lightweight (<300 lbs. wet and laden) Dual Sport comfortably, with camping gear, to and from riding areas (250+ mile round trips including highway speeds on knobbies), rather than trucking/trailering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn
Here's a data point that's not shock, disgust or pity from at least one KLR rider, ha! The only reaction I got from seeing your DR250 at the Sheetiron was envy!

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
=====================

Here's Super Hunky's spin: Start: $100 - End: $243

Additional resources:

Project Lowbucks: Buying a Dirt Bike for Dirt Cheap
by Super-Hunky
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...eap-53319.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...t-2-53342.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...t-3-53358.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...t-4-53369.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...t-5-53397.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...t-6-53410.html

Kawasaki KDX 200 Refresh
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...ain-53222.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...des-53275.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...air-53302.html

MX Trail Bike: Giving a Motocross Bike New Life

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...ife-53373.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...des-53412.html
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/pro...ion-53471.html

Seavoyage screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 09:54 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
hey I like your craigslist skills..

i didn't realize that the trials suspension was that amenable to conversion. Did you revalve your gas gas yourself? I need to find a thread on Paioli tuning for my Beta.

I had a long ride seat for it but didn't think I needed the range for it. Plus it was tying up about $350 in play money

Thanks for the gearing tip, you obviously have this stuff figured out.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Seavoyage OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Far Side

Craiglist Blue Light Special: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3518942632.html

Quote:
Selling my 1996 yamaha wr250 in a box - $200 (san jose south)

Complete motorcycle but just needs to be assembled and some parts like gaskets and piston. Comes with everything needed to assemble. Took it apart then bought a 450 call me price is negotiable 408 506 5731
$200

BTW - I checked it out a few hours ago. The Title is clean, and except the front wheel (available on eBay for $40) it looks like it's all there. It's a wide-ratio tranny which I did not test. The cylinder wasn't scuffed, but I didn't take measurements. It comes with an extra Pro-Circuit pipe, Devol disc and rad guards, skid-plate, and large capacity fuel tank. It needs a Top-End rebuild: ~$100, new tires w/ tubes; about 2-hrs of elbow grease, and a six-pack (of fluids, not abs) to put this one together. You can probably get street plates for this WR250; and please don't ask me how I know. Any takers? You won't even need a truck to transport it since it'll all fit in a SMART car.

Need something more 'Turn-Key' and less IKEA 'Some Assembly Required'?

Seavoyage screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 08:22 AM
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
tjanson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Awesome, thanks for the info.

My ride was a craiglist special last winter, #1/cc for a non-running KLR 250. Ended up rebuilding the engine, still came out pretty cheap. Gets the job done, but it's of course more of a dual sport than an enduro. I love the idea of a 200lb 2 stroke for whipping around. It's really easy to plate dirt bikes in VT...so no trouble there.

So what's your evaluation of your Honda vs. the Husky? Have you had a chance to ride the Husqvarna?
tjanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Seavoyage OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Epilogue: Sold the CR125R to fund a current KTM200MXC "Cheap Bast'd" project.

The new owners ran the CR125R without pre-mix oil; damaged the piston; then traded it to the current owner for a pool-table. The CR125R was last seen listed on CL after a Namura piston replacement by the current owner for $1500: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3843190452.html