Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Gas Prices have consumers thinking outside their cars

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...mer&id=8997950

Yes, let's get people on a 700cc bike to start. They also sell Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki Scooters.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...mer&id=8997950

Yes, let's get people on a 700cc bike to start. They also sell Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki Scooters.

"hi, i am very interested in one of these comfortable, 70 mpg two wheeled conveyances i saw on the tellyvision news!"

"sure! we have just the 450 pound, 31.6" seat height, 47 horsepower sport touring ride for you!"

"oh my! sold! can I take it home?"

"sure, the dct is an automatic! just twist and go! you can get your endorsement later!"

"sold!"

"cash up front, please. all of it. how's yer insurance policy look?"
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,336
I'm glad I don't owe any money on a car. My Vino 125 gets about 70 mpg, my Zuma 125 gets about 80. I'm going to have to drag out my old Puch moped which gets about 120. If you can make it to work on a bicycle, which I can, then a motorized bicycle is probably the way to go IF they are legal in your state. They are legal in my state, even in the bike lanes. And you can build a really nice dependable one for around $1000 that will get 150 mpg and last for many years. That would only pay the sales tax on a $10,000 bike. If you need freeway capability, a 150cc scooter is the way to go, especially if it's all low speed stop and go traffic like it is around here. All of the above is just my opinion.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Cyclical

Each time gas spikes past (whatever) the point of max-price tolerance, people who otherwise would have no interest in riding a PTW head out to their dealers and look into becoming a "rider" in an effort to give big oil the finger.

After oil prices cycle down below that pain-point again, there are usually lots of great deals on lightly used bikes to be had!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I have been riding on the street since 1975, and have always preferred bikes to cars. I have more miles on bikes than cars. Right now I have bikes that range in mileage from 35 mpg to 120 mpg. If I can afford it though, I will always use a car to commute when it rains. Or when it's 115 degrees outside. But the bikes are there, and I will not hesitate to use them if gas prices get to high. I don't understand the buying and selling thing. Even if gas prices go down, everybody knows they are going to be going back up again, so why not hang onto that scooter for when they do. They are losing a fortune buying a bike when gas prices go up, then selling it at a huge loss when the go down, only to buy another one when the prices go back up again. And the oil companies really don't care if gas consumption goes down, they are making a fortune anyway.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
One of the first things I get asked is about gas mileage. I tell them what it gets, but that's not the reason I bought it. At 6 miles one way, I'm really not saving too much on gas money. I tell them I wanted to learn and experience riding.
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
JerryH
Vintage Rider

To me riding is very much an emotional thing, while driving a car is not, unless you can afford one of a handful of very expensive cars, like Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Corvettes, Vipers, etc. I don't see how driving a 4 door sedan, an SUV, or an econobox can be fun, but it is possible to have a whole lot of fun on a very inexpensive bike.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
what are good brands of motorized bikes?
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,622
One can take a standard bicycle and add a powered trailer to push it along.

YouTube-E-Powered Aevon Bicycle Trailer
(Watch how this one handles rough ground, and snow-covered roads!)

Various models available, or one could build one's own!

Hmmm! Fancy being pushed along by sunshine? (Hmm! Really an electric bicycle but the batteries get some charge from the sun)

The interesting aspect about these "pusher" trailers is that, as well as the powered commute provided there is usually some degree of luggage space available.

The single-wheel powered trailers mount their motor in the wheel usually, while the two-wheel Ridekick has it inside with a separator panel keeping luggage away.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
The nc has a lot longer service schedule, which is a big point in its favour. I want another little scoot but the servicing is annoying if you do kms.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
To me riding is very much an emotional thing, while driving a car is not, unless you can afford one of a handful of very expensive cars, like Ferraris, Lambos, Porsches, Corvettes, Vipers, etc. I don't see how driving a 4 door sedan, an SUV, or an econobox can be fun, but it is possible to have a whole lot of fun on a very inexpensive bike.
I decided to go 2 wheels a few years ago when gas hit $4 gallon. I've ridden offroad most of my life, but got off the street back in the mid70s after several close calls with idiots in cars.
When gas got expensive, people slowed down, driving 30-35 in a 40 mph speed zone. Taking 4-5 blocks to get to 5 mph under the posted speed limit. At the time I was driving a 600 hp Mustang Cobra and by the time I got home from work, I was in a homicdal rage everyday. I bought a CT90 and suddenly the commute was fun again. But, the first time in rain, had to be rescued because the electrics weren't waterproof anymore. Several motorcycles later, I got a Zuma 125 and loved it, but needed a little more speed. It proved to me that a scooter is the way to go t with twist and go transmissions and underseat storage. Now, I ride a Burgman400 and have found the best solution for me. It only gets 50-55 mpg, but gives me the ability to use highways, where the Zuma125 just wasn't quite there. I considered a big bore kit, but then the mileage would be about the same as the Burgman. 0% financing sealed the deal.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
One can take a standard bicycle and add a powered trailer to push it along.

YouTube-E-Powered Aevon Bicycle Trailer
(Watch how this one handles rough ground, and snow-covered roads!)

Various models available, or one could build one's own!

Hmmm! Fancy being pushed along by sunshine? (Hmm! Really an electric bicycle but the batteries get some charge from the sun)

The interesting aspect about these "pusher" trailers is that, as well as the powered commute provided there is usually some degree of luggage space available.

The single-wheel powered trailers mount their motor in the wheel usually, while the two-wheel Ridekick has it inside with a separator panel keeping luggage away.
As far as motorized bikes, gas powered is the only way to go. Electric just doesn't have the range. Check out motoredbikes.com. I like the 35cc Robin Subaru 4 stroke engine on a Staton inc. rear mount friction drive.