User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #15256
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,536
FROM JCR FB:
Johnny Campbell Dakar race report- stage 12 Fiambala to Copiapo.
Liaison 397km
Stage 318km
Today we crossed back over the Andes mountains in to Chile for the final stages. It was 30 degrees at 6am, headed over a 15,500' pass! I was frozen, it was pure torture. I stopped to change gloves and nearly collapsed due to lack of oxygen and an ailing body. Then as we approached the start of the stage after 5 hours of Liaison, I almost feel asleep while riding. At the start of the stage I felt kinda weak and not very confident. I cruised for a bit and had to stop and pick up a downed Spaniard. (Second time this race, different
rider. He was ok only wrist soreness. I got him patched up with a few cable ties on the bike and off we went).
This stage had 75% dunes. Super soft but really big fast sand valleys with minimum rocks. You could hold it wide open for miles. My ribs did a little better today proof that the prayer is working! I have been able to keep going in desperation mode. I'm am ready to see the finish in Santiago, Chile,
this coming Saturday. 2 stages left. Tomorrow Copiapo to La Serena, back to the Pacific Ocean! Yeah! Thank you everyone for your prayers I feel them every bump!
Love,
Johnny

Sorry if its 205, I've been trying to pay attention while the five year old claws her way up my leg

Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #15257
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

And this must be yet another interview:

Cyril Despres

“Today we switched roles and I worked for Ruben for a change. When he came into the 15 minute refuelling neutralisation, just before I was about the leave, he told me had a problem with his front wheel, so I gave him my spoke key. Then, instead of opening the piste, and pulling Ruben’s rivals for the second place further away from him, I slowed the pace right down and ‘encouraged’ the others riding with me to have a go at the navigation. It was a tactic that paid off as nobody was able to pull away and in the end Ruben increased his lead over Lopez by 2 minutes, something that might prove very important coming into Santiago.
It might seem a little strange to actually slow down with just two stages left to run but look a little closer and it isn’t so strange at all. Lopez started four minutes behind me and as I expected he caught me up. Once he’d done that, whether I’d ridden flat out or slowed right down the time difference between us wouldn’t have changed. Plus it meant I took less risks and economised my machine. Effectively it cost me very little to help Ruben and gave me great pleasure to repay him a little for all he has done for me over the last 4 years.”

Cyril rocks. I want him on my team
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #15258
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammie View Post
So you need an mecanic on the field to be sure to get back home?
Haha! =)

1) I'm a n00b
2) I ride a KTM

The combination of the two force me to never leave home without tie wraps, duct tape and loctite. =) Guess I'll have to add liquid metal to the tool tube now. ;)
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #15259
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Proehens Brothers are tops!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #15260
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Listen to Lyndon's call instead.
Amazing!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #15261
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
It was clear from the timing sheets that something dramatic had happened to Lyndon in the first sector of today's stage, but no one in cyberspace could have imagined how close his rally came to being over. Lesser men would not have been able to repair the damage and bring it home (on pace, no less, once he got going again). We didn't have an interview planned, but I was able to catch Lyndon on his call in and have a chat -- glad I did! Go "Inside the Helmet" as Lyndon talks about what was going through his mind both out on the piste, and at the end of the stage. Brilliant stuff.

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D16.mp3

---------------------------
Thanks for your support.

Pyndon MacGyver!

Awesome riding and mech skills by Lyndon!

Thanks Nate for saving us from snooooooooooooooooooooooooooookieeeee

Every time I see a sn#!#ke* post, it's like horrible f5esh f5esh to plow through. Glad due to work I can't watch those streams in real-time.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #15262
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
great interview and they seem the nicest people!

I am starting my stage at the firehose now On Eusrosport was Despres speaking with Caselli at the top of the dune or was it Ruben?

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #15263
catas
Orange rider

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
De Gavardo cousins!
catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #15264
catas
Orange rider

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

I am starting my stage at the firehose now On Eusrosport was Despres speaking with Caselli at the top of the dune or was it Ruben?
Caselli
catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #15265
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Listen to Lyndon's call instead.
Whoah, absolutely amazing call in (and an amazing recovery). Thanks PackMule.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #15266
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
We drove 30 miles to dinner. Eat, pick up some groceries and back. And no Luis? UGH. Hope I don't lose my dinner.

Love listening to the calls. Thanks for making them happen!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #15267
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by catas View Post
Caselli
Thanks - gonna check the WP times now to figure out who rode with whom today.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #15268
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post

here it goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
So Faria stops at refueling and his rim is not good. Someone offers him a new wheel, he refuses and take the risk of doing the rest of the special. He tell this to Cyril.
The Alien, master strategist, decides to help his mate. What does he do? He let the boys go up front and they have hard time with the navigation. They are all a bit lost. Chaleco is one of them, he loses time. In the meantime he tells Caselli to slowdown, and explain to him wtf is happening.

Faria, with the broken rim gets to be 2nd in the special, and gains 3 minutes on Chaleco.

Well done Cyril, muddyboy
I've just forgot all the mud situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Cyrils blog:

On today’s stage at the refuelling my team-mate Ruben (Faria) arrived and signalled to me that he had a problem with his wheel. Before I started the second part of the special stage I had about 20 seconds to dig out my spoke key from my kit and throw it over to Ruben. Then I started to race and I thought to myself – “I hope I don’t need that key later or I’ll be in trouble”.

I was taking care of my engine and conserving some energy on the stage because I knew towards the end there would be lots of navigation in the dunes. So the chance came for me to help out Ruben and pay something back for all he has done for me as a team-mate. For Ruben to be more sure of his second place in the overall timings I knew it would be helpful it I took things nice and easy at the front of the race.

Ruben was chasing Chaleco (Lopez) who was riding on my rear wheel so I thought I would take down my speed and let him pass. So Chaleco, Goncalves and Barreda all came past me and then it was up to them to navigate. I had a front row seat to watch them struggling to find the route in the dunes and all the while I knew Ruben must be making up time.

The Dakar is a race that you must respect until the very finish but it was satisfying to be able to exert some control on today’s stage. Today we were the bosses because we decided something and it worked.
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #15269
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Wow. Just wow. After all the contenders and their fighting words and intentions this year, the top 5 becomes an all KTM affair. Make of that what you will. Riders? Machine? team? Maybe - most possibly- a combination of all three.

Gutted to see Botturi slide down the sheets after missing a waypoint (I didn't quite understand why) but, once again, this race rewards the concept of The Team, instead of just the rider or the machine. And The Team to beat is KTM. Hopefully, with Husky/SpeedBrain, HRC and Yamaha committed to this race, we can only hope they keep learning and taking notes, and here's to a brilliant 2014 edition with more upsets, more varied stage winners and -if all goes well- a new Dakar winner.,,

Yeah, I hear you say that there is still a stage and a half, but after witnessing Le Patron's strategy today, can there really be any doubt left? A worthy title for team orange & Cyril once again, I am hoping this display of race craft can only inspire the other teams, get them thinking hard and make them work

Right, I'm off to get some rest, and happy to be riding orange. Ever since my first SuperCompetition 620 (yeah that's what EXC's were called back in '95), and witnessing Heinz' purple Dakar machine, I have rooted for this team, a David amongst Goliaths when it first dared enter the Dakar... 18 years on, who would have guessed. More power to them, they are a case study in how to dominate

rant over, catch you all tomorrow
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #15270
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Where the hell is Doyle?