Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #15346
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,452
F5 tee shirts

alert!

Hate to spam again, but I've gotten a few more emails asking about ordering these, and I wanted to remind everyone that I'll take orders until the 20th, then I'll close ordering and start printing asap!

The site has handled the F5 onslaught really well this year, but as a thank you to Baldy, proceeds will be donated to the site.

http://www.fattees-printing.com/Team-F5/index.html

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #15347
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Oddometer: 1,333
Shirt was ordered.

What ever happened to the coffee mugs?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #15348
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Ok, so my crapoy computer won't play the Pyndon call, can someone give me the scoop?
pretty please
Ric - you just have to hear it to believe it - this is on course magic. It's hard to believe many or even any others could have achieved this. Ok, maybe CDP, but at the expense of someone else
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #15349
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Ok, so my crapoy computer won't play the Pyndon call, can someone give me the scoop?
pretty please
Ric, click the "direct download: link below the player. It's a plain mp3 so it should play on anything. Let me know if it doesn't.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #15350
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
pretty please
The bottom billet piece at the bottom of his fork leg split in half, probably from a hard hit on a rock. Split oil over the brakes as well since that left the bottom of the damper stack swinging in the breeze dripping oil.

He decided to stop and fix it 'properly' with liquid metal (I assume one of the metal loaded epoxies) and high strength cable ties. I.e. clean with petrol from the tank, wait to dry, epoxy the two halves to the fork leg and pull like hell on the ties to hold it together while it set.

Waiting for the epoxy to dry left him behind the rest of the bikes, and riding carefully after that meant he was slow. I got the impression that by half way it was "f... this, it hasn't broken yet it'll probably hold" and he picked up speed, by them the oil had likely burnt off the pads as well .

Forks were fixed by the WP service truck that happened to be at the bivvy and it looks like he's good to go again.

That was my interpretation of it, which may well be wrong. The podcast is great , I recommend making an effort to listen to it yourself at some point.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #15351
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Semi-official - Luis is attempting to make it in by foot in hopes mechanics can fix tonight. Note - he is right at CP4. So close, yet so far. Can he make it that far in time? Is his bike repairable?

He does not give up without a fight!!!

What time to bikes start tomorrow?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #15352
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

Now you follow me huh... and we let this other guys go ahead, to discover the"garden path" no...?

f5 live.
Wasn't that Coma's line ? with his "no" accentuated at the end of every sentence ?

with all the Despres love coming up, can somebody pls PM one certain Mr. "Patrol" to come back and play in the F5 thread again ? haven't seen him after last year.

I don't hate him. If some body is gonna hint at that.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #15353
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug678 View Post
Shirt was ordered.

What ever happened to the coffee mugs?
I got scared by the Dakar copyright police. Too late to do somethng about it, mid race this year, anyway.

Some good art that wont encroach on EL DAkaro's rightful logos and we'll start a drive in November, next year, so we can drink coffee in the AM, and pisco sours in teh pm, or the other way round if you prefer
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #15354
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Semi-official - Luis is attempting to make it in by foot in hopes mechanics can fix tonight. Note - he is right at CP4. So close, yet so far. Can he make it that far in time? Is his bike repairable?

Holy mother of god
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #15355
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I got scared by the Dakar copyright police. Too late to do somethng about it, mid race this year, anyway.

Some good art that wont encroach on EL DAkaro's rightful logos and we'll start a drive in November, next year, so we can drink coffee in the AM, and pisco sours in teh pm, or the other way round if you prefer

Cool, don't want El Dakaros fuz getting too close 'ya know. Looking forward to next year all ready.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #15356
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post

Lu-is! Lu-is!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #15357
Spark Plug
Low on compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Lu-is! Lu-is!

Slow Clap Time?

This way Luis......>

Bring'er home man.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #15358
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,343
Well that's me caught up, a couple of quickies while doing so.

CDP - awesome

Pyndon - awesome

HRC - as well as could be expected under the circumstances ? - not totally convinced, they will be somewhat disappointed and would have been expecting more, even though their effort got off to a severe bashing before it started in this first year back.

No update on Philipe, Sam is cast free and has commenced physio, back on the road bike next week and currently focused on the Dessert Challenge in April. - will catch you all there

JC - truly nice guy and hero

Manuel Shoestringo - Magnifico - he had it all the way, but now maybe a toss up between him and Pyndon over who is the Dakar equivalent of Bear Grylls.

For the Brits amongst us (or maybe just the English) ...."they think it's all over" but 2 days still to go and time left for some more Dakar moments, but what and to whom!?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #15359
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
So Faria stops at refueling and his rim is not good. Someone offers him a new wheel, he refuses and take the risk of doing the rest of the special. He tell this to Cyril.
The Alien, master strategist, decides to help his mate. What does he do? He let the boys go up front and they have hard time with the navigation. They are all a bit lost. Chaleco is one of them, he loses time. In the meantime he tells Caselli to slowdown, and explain to him wtf is happening.

Faria, with the broken rim gets to be 2nd in the special, and gains 3 minutes on Chaleco.

Well done Cyril, muddyboy
I've just forgot all the mud situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Master strategist (possibly the best of the post modern Dakar era - 2000+), great rider and the PR dept' have gotten most of the mud off his countenance (after last year) with his (back to original) on camera personality, interviews, tweets and general demeanour.

A good day by Cyril Despres!
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm67 View Post
And this is what intrests me the most about DAKAR, never mind the physical and mechanical issues one has to deal with. CDP shows that he is the ultimate stategist, he has been calculating his moves since day 2, he know short of a mechanical failure he has overall wrapped up. He now starts strategizing forhis team mates to optimize their finishing positions.

CDP has shown that he deserves the position within the team and shows that he truly is part of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Looks like Kurt and Cyril are good friends by now. Stopping on top of the dune, having a chat. Life's good.

When I saw the picture earlier today I thought of the caption "You go first No ou monsuir. No, no no, I insist. I enseest as well"

But later as things became clearer it was very clear what he must have said to Casseli.

A master stroke by the master himself! Mr Bandanna, Cyril Despres you have in less than two weeks won back all the support you lost and doubled down with new admiration.

The Cyril haters have no chance now. This guy has shown how outstanding, how in control he really is. Things have suddenly become a LOT more difficult for Marc Coma. I really, really hope that Cyril stays on next year and that we get to see a CdP, Faria, Coma Casselli partnership in action. It will be like watching the Volkswagens in 2009, 10 & 11 but for bikes.

Cut to team HRC....:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Honda's return thwarted (in spanish)

"It's all new. And this bike is very young. We need more time to develop the bike. In half a year we could not do it, we don't compete in the Dakar for a long time and we lack experience. Our first victory was to be at the start, in Lima, "said Katsumi Yamazaki, project leader for Honda Dakar, which was already the head of command when the factory winged competed from 1981 to 1989. In the 80's Honda won four titles. To return to winning they need more time, at least. "The Dakar is special. The tests can not play stages of 800 kilometers or about 600 special. We have gathered a lot of information and become stronger, "he adds. "We wanted to get on the podium, but it became impossible," says team manager, Henk Hellegers, frustrated, that does not hide the expectations that the project raised. What needs to improve? "Everything," says the Japanese. "You have to work on the durability of the bike", he assumes, aware of the significance that is if one is to be competitive in the Dakar. "You have to work hard. And in everything, "adds Rodrigues laconic.
Helder sums it up in one sentence. The team support and design has been poor to say the least. They have a long way to go before they come anywhere near the other teams. Its kinda embarrassing to see their videos, with the HRC standings at the end of each one...
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #15360
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
When I saw the picture earlier today I thought of the caption "You go first No ou monsuir. No, no no, I insist. I enseest as well"