We should send Kurt a non flat brim.
JUNBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #15394
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
It's an interesting deal and one that I simply can't fathom why isn't a BIGGER deal in this country. I'm very glad to be part of it, even if barely hanging on after another 11 hour work day. Thanks a bunch you guys and gals, it's going to be weird when it's over.
Very well said K_N. It echoes what I think most of the F5team also feels. Those of us that have been tracking Dakar for any length of time know the excitement during and somewhat empty feeling once it's over.

As to why it's not bigger in the USA, it's not a surprise to most of us here. I think it's basically a corporate thing. Rally is is not a big money supported sport; even enduro, most of the desert races and even motocross barely make news. Football, baseball, basketball and NASCAR are the money makers and the sponsored athletes. I'll wager almost nobody in the USA knows Robbeeeee Gooordon races the Dakar, but most know him from NASCAR. Jonah and the few other American racers that have tried Dakar have all struggled with support. Dakar might get big in the USA if they held the race here (yeah, right) There are others here who can get into far more detail than I can about motorcycle racing in the USA but otherwise it's a dedicated small group of die-hard fanatics that keeps the Dakar and Rally fire going.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #15395
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com photos from stage 11.

spot the cable tie
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #15396
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942

Does she ride standing up for the whole event?

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #15397
Nitro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Mourning
Here is the daily update from Ingo's wife

Hi all

Did anyone watch on TV last night .. mmmm or was it the night b4- how they explained the tracking system? Soooo wish they would have shown that, in the beginning of the race. If i had known that it updates it’s self every 5min.. i would have been a bit kinder to my keyboards refresh and enter buttons.

I dunno what Ingo did today...but me- likey likey.. he got up to the 40’s and stayed there, from WP to WP.

For those that don’t know.. the fall that David Reeve had yesterday- caused him to break his shin bone. ( ouuuuch) he is being flown out to Johannesburg where they will operate and put a pin in his leg ( ouch ouch ouch) it’s so -not “lekker” that this happened to him..and with the finish so close.

Darryl Curtis had a bad fall yesterday as well.. hurting his shoulder badly and his back and arm. News I got last night- was that he probably would be out of the race.. but didn’t want to say anything here..as I had a good feeling that he would “fight” this rally to the end. They apparently “strapped “ him up ..and he was gonna try tackle today’s stage. Just finishing the Dakar- you are a winner.. so let’s hope and pray that he makes it.

Riaan Van Niekerk is still up with the top 20 riders and is making it look like a walk in the park. He sent Zoe birthday wishes and good luck for her 1st day of school... well my little tough tomboy- turned into a blushing shy –happy chick. She thinks the world of Riiaaaaaan ( as she says it) and was taken aback when she heard that Gilly was going to the Dakar to help the guys out.. and her thought on it, was- we should go too..so that when Gilly sleeps and stuff she could help the guys ( think she meant JUST to be Riaans pit crew... bugger the other “guys”)

Brett is also doing so so well.. he went from the back of the pack ( after towing his team mate ) and is now th overall. Glenn – who fell out of the race in the early stages..is still following the race with the service team.. and I have a sneaky feeling he is making every minute count. Who wouldn’t.... i am sure just being there and amongst everyone in this amazing race must be as good ( ok ok maybe not) as actually taking part

At this stage 54 bikers are out .... oi oi.. gotta stop here.. just saw Ingo is in at the finish in 43rd position... ok.. my first little victory dance on my chair- for this year. J
Oi.. ok.. that was a bit of “all at once”..as soon as i saw he was in- he phoned..
Jesses.. we got a hiding today he said.. was 300km of enduro kind of racing. My knees are so sore.. i can’t stand or sit---after riding in that bend position- whew it was tough
There were ALOT of dunes and I actually got a bit scared of some of them .. they aren’t like our dunes- you get one dune and on that are lank small dunes, covered with vegetation. So I had to either zig zag through them...or to over them. Was all tiring.
Now i just need to rest and give my knees some rest too.
He also said he had his first proper fall yesterday (clever bum only telling me 24 hours later) but nothing serious..just “clipped a rock” with my front wheel.
“i got a feeling tomorrow is gonna be tough...” i think “they” (the organisers) think we think -cause its only two more days.. they gonna go easy on us. I will take it easy and take it as it comes.
And then his sat phone cut out....
From right now... ppllls don’t change.. Ingo came in 43rd for the day.. bringing him up to 46th overall..and currently 2nd in the marathon stage.:J J J

Tomorrows stage is the last of the dunes in this year’s race-with 294km being the connection and 441km being the race stage-totally in 735km ride.
The organisers again warned ahead...saying the wide tracks that the riders will ride on towards the end of the stage, conceal stones- which can shatter dreams.

Okie dokie everyone.. for once i have this all kla to send out before the actual TV coverage... and i see i still have time to watch Revenge before 22h30 Dakar coverage.

Over and out
T U & F X
Proudly Nam chicks
Lisa and Zoe
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #15398
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
I tell you guys, I've had a shit attitude for the last few months with all the crap going down in the US, little kids getting shot in school, etc. Just starting to weigh me down, getting pretty brittle actually. Clinging hard to my family, having a tough time controlling my emotions like a normal grown man would at times. Giving lots of long hard hugs to my kids. Probably not enough long hugs to my wife :).

But then the Dakar comes along and I get to follow a bunch of people

It's an interesting deal and one that I simply can't fathom why isn't a BIGGER deal in this country. I'm very glad to be part of it, even if barely hanging on after another 11 hour work day. Thanks a bunch you guys and gals, it's going to be weird when it's over. Now, time to do my workout (ugh), get to bed, and do it all over again...
Excellent post Fodder, there is something in there for everyone and if not look, there will be.

The emptiness of next week will be tough also, what to do with those spare minutes or hours, I don't believe I've read an online newspaper since it all started. Anyway 2 more days to enjoy
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #15399
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,222
Great Call in Pyn..

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #15400
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing ricardo View Post
rookie move... pop off skid plate... powerwash.. reinstall.. don't ask why i know this...
Ha! Ha! Ha! Won't ask. Nice tip.

Yeah! Compared to your way it is a rookie move. Your way you get everything out. The shovel way a lot just gets pushed around and under things.

Kind of taking off the bash plate on your bike to clean out all the mud built up.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #15401
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,217
Dedicated small group...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
As to why it's not bigger in the USA, I think it's basically a corporate thing. It's a dedicated small group of die-hard fanatics that keeps the Dakar and Rally fire going.
+100 there CY.

And why I relate to this all... because it's not an event for the every man. As I certainly am not. Although I wish there was more sponsorship money to support riders in their quest to pursue their Dakar destiny. I must admit I'm glad the Dakar is without US corporate influence.

Because if it was heavily influenced by the US, then the whole Rally would be judged not by how hard core the terrain should be, but rather how many spins, tricks and silly named manuevers could be performed on the same Dune over, and over, and over.

Unfortunately, that's how narrow minded the US corporate TV network culture is. And that's not even mentioning the legal suing culture looking to find an opportunity to place blame and leach money.

With all the ASO's overly ambitious logistics and "home court" nuances... They still have committed to the philosophy I relate with most in a competitive event. This race is not about tricks, spins or silly repetitive manuevers, thank god. In my humble view, this event is about raw courage, true character and total dedication... competing in the most difficult physically, mentally and terrestrially challenging race in existence.

I'm happy to be of a select few who appreciate an event that's not for everybody. And I'm happy that there is a small select group of fanatics whom I can relate with and share this experience as fans, brethren and virtual participants year after year.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #15402
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,849

"Brraaap, braaaap! Ooooops! Aaaaargh! Ummm... I hope nobody saw that...?!

... oh? Hi Mom!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #15403
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,327
What has happened to Doyle?

Have the ASO kidnapped him
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #15404
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,849
Meanwhile... in the Dakar f5anboy recovery ward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post

with all the Despres love coming up, can somebody pls PM one certain Mr. "Patrol" to come back and play in the F5 thread again ? haven't seen him after last year.

I don't hate him. If some body is gonna hint at that.
I believe he is still in the f5anboy rehabilitation ward, after a procedure last year to have his tongue surgically removed from Surreal DesPrays crack.

Apparently he is sharing a private room with rmhrc628, Larryboy and Lgo175 who are each (respectively) being treated for JCR obsessive compulsive disorder, SPEED Gordon worship and "do you remember the Alamo... when we were real hardasses" syndrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #15405
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I believe he is still in the f5anboy rehabilitation ward, after a procedure last year to have his tongue surgically removed from Surreal DesPrays crack.

Apparently he is sharing a private room with rmhrc628, Larryboy and Lgo175 who are each (respectively) being treated for JCR obsessive compulsive disorder, SPEED Gordon worship and "do you remember the Alamo... when we were real hardasses" syndrome.