Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 04:39 AM   #15481
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
alert!

Hate to spam again, but I've gotten a few more emails asking about ordering these, and I wanted to remind everyone that I'll take orders until the 20th, then I'll close ordering and start printing asap!

The site has handled the F5 onslaught really well this year, but as a thank you to Baldy, proceeds will be donated to the site.

http://www.fattees-printing.com/Team-F5/index.html

Shirt ordered!

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #15482
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
45 minutes to start, do yourself a favour and listen to this:

Mark Miller interviewed on Robbie Gordon and his new book about Dakar, DASH

Really cool info on his co-drivers, his teammates from the VW years and Rubbie.

At the end, he has a little surprise announcement, I won't spoil it for you though
interesting.... he busts RG for busting everybody's ballz, then whose ballz does he bust?....... interesting... .... gonna have to get that book, though....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #15483
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
I see Luis gas a sttart time does that mean he made it in?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:44 AM   #15484
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
I see Luis gas a sttart time does that mean he made it in?
I think you have to check for confirmation here when the "Starters DSS" link goes active

edit: it is now active, and shows 6 or 7 riders who have entered the Special
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #15485
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,514
Just having to download some crap for the wife on the old PC and the 2012 event coverage was in fav's

It ran until Oct 2012, but by the end of the event itself we were only around 720 pages and 13,200 posts; ot to 976 pages and 14,635 posts by Oct,

Are we on for the record
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #15486
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
I'm going to be out of the loop today, but wanted to on this post and say that it echoes the way I feel about this event but have always had a hard time articulating. Thank you, KNF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
I tell you guys, I've had a shit attitude for the last few months with all the crap going down in the US, little kids getting shot in school, etc. Just starting to weigh me down, getting pretty brittle actually. Clinging hard to my family, having a tough time controlling my emotions like a normal grown man would at times. Giving lots of long hard hugs to my kids. Probably not enough long hugs to my wife :).

But then the Dakar comes along and I get to follow a bunch of people I don't know, struggling mightily every day. One of them walking in the dunes right now, 1:33 AM in Chile, pushing a 150cc bike for crying out loud. A guy who probably hasn't slept more than 4 hours a night since early January, and keeps going. Watching one of them who we know well after many heartbreaking failures, telling his wife on a satphone that he's just too old for this after getting run down by a truck. Another, with no expectations, making a top ten finish and then a few days later repairing a potentially race ending failure with zip ties and liquid steel. All the while taking his time to call in to his friends and report every night. A young gal, one of only two on bikes and back of the pack, stopping to help other riders when nobody else would. Another guy, a star, stopping to help a mid pack rider with a broken leg, and then that rider going out of his way to show appreciation from a hospital bed in a foreign country. A snippet from the wife of a rider, relating how her husband was breaking down because he missed his little girl's first day of school. And a million other human stories in this contrived, yet very real drama.

And then... the massive community of people supporting them, shouting for them, scrounging around on the internet looking for scraps of information because this huge, human enterprise, in one of the most spectacular areas of the world, isn't big enough news to be given more than a few minutes in the middle of the night. Providing high end analysis based on years of following racing and for some many years of actual racing. Building sophisticated tracking software and sharing it for free instead of sleeping. Juggling a family and running interviews for the F5 crew, and then soliciting funds so the riders aren't burdened by internationally sized phone bills. Finding a tire mousse for a kid who has nothing but still managed to get there. Finding and communicating information for hungry fans and worried friends and spouses. Postulating endlessly on why this person is 10 minutes late and that 10 minutes early. Cheering foreign TV streamed on a small laptop screen and screaming when the deadly "snooker" appears.

It's an interesting deal and one that I simply can't fathom why isn't a BIGGER deal in this country. I'm very glad to be part of it, even if barely hanging on after another 11 hour work day. Thanks a bunch you guys and gals, it's going to be weird when it's over. Now, time to do my workout (ugh), get to bed, and do it all over again...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #15487
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Ric, did you get Pyndon's call to work?

If not, go to http://rallyraidio.net and try to play it from there. Click on the POD icon, or right-click to save and listen from your computer.

We're headed up north and won't have net access for much of the next two days.

Could someone PM me when we know whether Luis has continued? And also with Pyn's news from the stage? Emails will bounce in to the phone occasionally.

Thanks!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:54 AM   #15488
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Thumb

Quote:
I tell you guys, I've had a shit attitude for the last few months with all the crap going down in the US, little kids getting shot in school, etc. Just starting to weigh me down, getting pretty brittle actually. Clinging hard to my family, having a tough time controlling my emotions like a normal grown man would at times. Giving lots of long hard hugs to my kids. Probably not enough long hugs to my wife :).

But then the Dakar comes along and I get to follow a bunch of people I don't know, struggling mightily every day. One of them walking in the dunes right now, 1:33 AM in Chile, pushing a 150cc bike for crying out loud. A guy who probably hasn't slept more than 4 hours a night since early January, and keeps going. Watching one of them who we know well after many heartbreaking failures, telling his wife on a satphone that he's just too old for this after getting run down by a truck. Another, with no expectations, making a top ten finish and then a few days later repairing a potentially race ending failure with zip ties and liquid steel. All the while taking his time to call in to his friends and report every night. A young gal, one of only two on bikes and back of the pack, stopping to help other riders when nobody else would. Another guy, a star, stopping to help a mid pack rider with a broken leg, and then that rider going out of his way to show appreciation from a hospital bed in a foreign country. A snippet from the wife of a rider, relating how her husband was breaking down because he missed his little girl's first day of school. And a million other human stories in this contrived, yet very real drama.

And then... the massive community of people supporting them, shouting for them, scrounging around on the internet looking for scraps of information because this huge, human enterprise, in one of the most spectacular areas of the world, isn't big enough news to be given more than a few minutes in the middle of the night. Providing high end analysis based on years of following racing and for some many years of actual racing. Building sophisticated tracking software and sharing it for free instead of sleeping. Juggling a family and running interviews for the F5 crew, and then soliciting funds so the riders aren't burdened by internationally sized phone bills. Finding a tire mousse for a kid who has nothing but still managed to get there. Finding and communicating information for hungry fans and worried friends and spouses. Postulating endlessly on why this person is 10 minutes late and that 10 minutes early. Cheering foreign TV streamed on a small laptop screen and screaming when the deadly "snooker" appears.

It's an interesting deal and one that I simply can't fathom why isn't a BIGGER deal in this country. I'm very glad to be part of it, even if barely hanging on after another 11 hour work day. Thanks a bunch you guys and gals, it's going to be weird when it's over. Now, time to do my workout (ugh), get to bed, and do it all over again...
Beautiful words, well said!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #15489
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #15490
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,025
Quote:
No, Faria i'm pretty sure will race to retain his 2nd overall.

WC duties will fall to either Pedrero or Kurt, or both.

ten minutes (howyalikemymathnow punks?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
So does that mean Caselli can't try and win another stage?

Quote:
In theory he could, he starts 4 minutes behind Cyril, and a full 26 minutes behind Verhoeven who opens today. If they both push hard to the finish he might well nab the Stage
Assuming that KTM armada employ team tactics - let Faria run, Predrero to act as WC for Despres and let Caselli run rabbit - during the first part of the special to the refuel/CH at 245 km, then during the nuetralized section (to CH at 306 km) they will be eyes on each other/stopwatches to work out the "gaps/deficits" then it could be a all on free for all over the last 135 km's to the ASS... especially iof Chaleco can smell blood, or Faria or despres are limping at all...

F5un n' games

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #15491
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
Beautiful words, well said!
I feel that KNF is about to get the most reposted post of 2013 or is that POSTGATE
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #15492
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:

The single best post of the entire event. Thanks for posting.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #15493
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:

Yeah I've had a long hard think on what to add to this post, and there is nothing. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing KN
Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #15494
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Shirt ordered!
Shirt ordered!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #15495
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316