Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #17491
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Never thought in the last minutes of the Dakar Luis would yet again make me pour out my water bottle for something stronger. Come on Luis!!!! We are waiting for you!
Come on Luis, let's do this one more time!
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #17492
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
The 123 bike finished 14th?

Sounds like the Dakar organization needs a little help with the seeding.
Well, Pyn started 168, what now 48?

ASO may need to get planted before worrying about seeding..
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #17493
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
I don't remember exactly but I think I told them about my site years ago. I'm not sure though, but in my stats I saw traffic coming from their site every year. Very nice to get their feedback. Thanks all for making this year a succes again!
By this point, I think we underestimate the reach and influence of Team F5. Carlton knows us. Planet Robby knows us. ASO knows us. It's an exercise in soft power, but power there is among the rabid hoard of followers here.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #17494
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Awesome of Robby, congrats, Mischa! HOw did he even know about you?

In other news:

Well after 15 days of waking up rushing to my iPad to see if my husband is still alive I can finally say it's over. Today I am one proud, excited, happy, amazed and inspired wife/ person... Rod has finished the Dakar in 14th position overall.
I'm sure you will here from him in the next couple of days with an update, so stay tuned for that if your interested.
Thanks heaps for all your support for him, Everybody has been amazing. Cherie

Brilliant effort
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #17495
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
I don't remember exactly but I think I told them about my site years ago. I'm not sure though, but in my stats I saw traffic coming from their site every year. Very nice to get their feedback. Thanks all for making this year a succes again!
F5 Spies everywhere
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #17496
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Never thought in the last minutes of the Dakar Luis would yet again make me pour out my water bottle for something stronger. Come on Luis!!!! We are waiting for you!
He's defending his finishing position, he worked too hard to throw that all away now.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #17497
catas
Orange rider

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Heh.
Today's stage result are now actually changed, showing Faria as stage winner and Lopez down in 39th, +14'31".

Did those idiots really include his 15' penalty in the stage times?
same as last year
catas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #17498
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
And on one engine! (albeit not his originally...) - he is the ultimate strategist!

Jx
This is the only fishbone in the throat of the rules... as far as the "intention" of the one engine rule is concerned anyway.

Originally when the formula 450 class was introduced (2011) the intention was that the engine was sealed and marked and regarded as a homogenous component of the chassis. The cylinder head and or engine case covers could be removed and components serviced, but the removal of engine from the frame and/or splitting of the bottom crankcase was cosidered as a "change of engine".

You were allowed to have spare engine(s) but this was subject to a ti,e penalty... 15 minutes for the 1st one, 45 for the second and any subsequent ones.

THEN someone worked out that a couple of various configuration motorcycles/engines could not be "worked on" (cylinder heads, engine case covers) WITH the engine still in the chassis (Aprilia RXV, KTM LC4) ans so the rule about the engine and frame being "disassociable with one another" was altered/massaged under 2011/12 to allow the engine to be removed UNDER OBSERVATION OF A SCRUTINEER.

This was fair enough - I thought - but at the time wondered how MANY scrutineers they must have had to have on hand to monitor (at least) the elite riders machines & teams?

Now it seems that the engine change rule has undergone (another) reading between the lines metamorphosis, to allow you to use another competitors motor... and provided that is THE DONORS original motor, the RECIPIENT is deemed to be on an original engine...?! What a croc of rocking horse shit that is!!!? *

So in my capacity as factory team strategist, all I have to do in future is enter a factory team of - say - SIX riders... Two Aliens one fast assist waterboy and three (lets call them drones) who have STRICT FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS TO RIDE AT TRAILRIDE PACE (minimum required to avoid houring out on the sweeper truck... but get the pecious "donor engines" to the bivouac each night) and are there more or less in the capacity to transport donor powerplant components from bivouac to bivouac. Theoretically a factory rider could use three or four powerplants during the rally - win - not get a time penalty and be considered to have finished on an "original engine"?

Or does the same 15 minute/45 minute subsequent penalty apply? (SEE EDIT/RETRACTION IN TWO PAGES)

That's a farce and a mockery of the rule book and principle of what a marathon rally is.

One thing for sure, Cyril Despres (and his team) are master tacticians, a brilliant rider with a cool head and he used all means available to him (quite within the rules) to take a much deserved 5th dakar title.

I don't begrudge him this victory at all... I just think that the logic and application of the engine change regulation is flawed in this instance, and use the example above to show it's inadequacy... if creating a level playing field - where machine reliability are parameters by which a marathon rally should be measured.

*Sorry if all this is old news, but it happened over the marathon stage/rest day and I was engaged in shifting house and about one hundred other things... so the engine swap of Depres/dabrowski was not at the top of my attention/priority list. It wasn't until the gravity (and absurdity) of JMo's post above (Cyril the strategist) hit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 01:22 PM Reason: F5lood provided some more information which enlightened me
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #17499
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,976
Mischa,

Thanks so much for your hard work. Donation made.

One suggestion if you decide to do it all over again in 2014. It would really help those monitoring the race on small screens if there were a way to keep the first few columns with the riders' names stationary as you scroll right to keep up with the WP & CP times.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #17500
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,000
Time for the big guns?

Bring it in Luis!!

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #17501
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
He's defending his finishing position, he worked too hard to throw that all away now.
After all this time he couldn't disappoint his devout followers could he..?

GO! GO! GO !!!!!
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #17502
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
By this point, I think we underestimate the reach and influence of Team F5. Carlton knows us. Planet Robby knows us. ASO knows us. It's an exercise in soft power, but power there is among the rabid hoard of followers here.
Carlton just started following me on Twitter 2 days ago. But since then, he shared the Pyndon call and my status updates on the Brits today.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #17503
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
seriously!

Luis push it home!!!!!
I can almost hear Luis saying "I *HAVE* BEEN PUSHING IT. Have a little more patience, people!"

He'll be at WP4 and the ASS soon enough.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #17504
misc
dakar tracker

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Mischa,

Thanks so much for your hard work. Donation made.

One suggestion if you decide to do it all over again in 2014. It would really help those monitoring the race on small screens if there were a way to keep the first few columns with the riders' names stationary as you scroll right to keep up with the WP & CP times.
I will try to be back of course! I will only not be there if I'm not allowed to. I didn't have time this year to optimize more for mobile use, but I will work on that later this year ;-) Thanks for the tip and I will be back better ;-)
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #17505
misc
dakar tracker

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Indeed that's ony of the reasons why I can't thank everybody here enough. I'm also glad ASO allows me to do it and I'm standby to help them if they need it ;-)
misc is offline   Reply With Quote