User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #18241
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Just talked with Luis and Scott.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #18242
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post

Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #18243
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Interview with Luis and Scott

For the third year in a row, fans from around the world have followed Luis Belaustegui as he's attempted the Dakar on a 2-stroke KTM 150. Last year he came agonizingly close before a crash and injury ruled him out a stage from the end. This year, he had to overcome one challenge after the next in order to make it. When you hear his attitude, I think it will be clear why he was able to triumph.

We chat with mechanic and team manager Scott Spears, followed by Luis, as they are on a layover on their flight home from Chile. Thanks for taking the time to speak with us guys, and congratulations on a job well done!!

Direct download link: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D20.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #18244
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Okay well dont leave us hanging -For Dakar's sake!

-- EDIT Oopsy, last 205 of the Dakar 2013

Thanks NATE!!!!! ( <= Im not normally like this but its been emotional)
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #18245
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Listening to the call now, awesome!

On a side note, Helder's FB:

Hey guys I'm back to Portugal, went to this Dakar very well prepared both physically with technically and so, unless one or another mountain stage, never felt really fatigued. This project brought Honda back to Dakar, after the Japanese successes in African competitions the years 80, was filed just six months before the start of the rally and implied that this participation has been a big test for the future. Over the course of the rally we were rectifying, evolving and adjusting all situations that weren't as good as we wanted to, but the whole team has worked tremendously in giving his best and I'm sure the experience in these fifteen days will be extremely important for the future. Honda wants to win the Dakar as a brand and I want to win the Dakar as a pilot. The year 2013 will be hard work, eventually many races and trainings, for a return to the maximum force on the Dakar 2014. I am very pleased by the commitment that Honda did me and I thank you all that I have provided, a thank you is extended to my sponsors, TMN and Red Bull, and all sponsors, the people who work with me throughout the year, to my family, friends and to all of you who supported me in this new stage of my career. Hug

Sounds like HRC are extending with him, so the Cyril jumping ship theory will not play out... I guess
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #18246
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
For the third year in a row, fans from around the world have followed Luis Belaustegui as he's attempted the Dakar on a 2-stroke KTM 150. Last year he came agonizingly close before a crash and injury ruled him out a stage from the end. This year, he had to overcome one challenge after the next in order to make it. When you hear his attitude, I think it will be clear why he was able to triumph.

We chat with mechanic and team manager Scott Spears, followed by Luis, as they are on a layover on their flight home from Chile. Thanks for taking the time to speak with us guys, and congratulations on a job well done!!

What a brilliant interview. Thank you Luis, Scott & Nate

Luis, you dont have to be crazy to do something like this but it certainly helps!

Fixing a ceased engine with nothing but wire wool and a knife at a police station....... Holy moly, unbelievably epic stuff.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #18247
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Listening to the call now, awesome!

On a side note, Helder's FB:

[COLOR="Wheat"]Hey guys I'm back to Portugal, went to this Dakar very well prepared both physically with technically and so, unless one or another mountain stage, never felt really fatigued. This project brought Honda back to Dakar

Sounds like HRC are extending with him, so the Cyril jumping ship theory will not play out... I guess
About to listen to Louis's call.

On the HRC effort the latest video had Yamasaki-San saying they were looking at next year with a new structure, new machine, new team and budget!

That could mean a host of things and open season for the speculators, but on the team I would expect that the nucleus will stay, perhaps JC may not be racing next year and we are yet to hear how Philipe is doing, but for 2013 the season may just be beginning when the feeling for many after the Dakar, is that it is just over! - The annual Rally cycle, is the Dakar the end or the beginning?

http://youtu.be/9Kh_Gxf3w5M

Nice touch with the Brazilian flag

too old screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 12:44 PM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #18248
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
On the HRC effort the latest video had Yamasaki-San saying they were looking at next year with a new strategy, team and budget!
It might just be me, but isn't it a strange coincidence that Yama(ha-Kawa)saki-san works for Honda?

CANT KEEP FINGER OFF F FIVE !!!

(gonna need some help)

Thank goodness for the post race news.... (Thanks Nate )
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #18249
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
About to listen to Louis's call.

On the HRC effort the latest video had Yamasaki-San saying they were looking at next year with a new structure, new machine, new team and budget!

That could mean a host of things and open season for the speculators, but on the team I would expect that the nucleus will stay, perhaps JC may not be racing next year and we are yet to hear how Philipe is doing, but for 2013 the season may just be beginning when the feeling for many after the Dakar, is that it is just over! - The annual Rally cycle, is the Dakar the end or the beginning?

http://youtu.be/9Kh_Gxf3w5M

Nice touch with the Brazilian flag
Whoops, sound wasn't that clear, missed the bit about new machine
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #18250
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:

Massive thanks to Nate, Scott and Luis for this call. I think this was the call in I was most looking forward to hearing and it didn't disappoint, Scott just sounds so level headed and capable and Luis is exactly what I expected, a truly inspirational character. Thanks again.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #18251
NHESS81
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Got stuck in the dunes...the CP still open? F5un times this was.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #18252
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:

Thank you so much for providing the opportunity to hear from Scott and Luis. Luis - if you read this just let me say you are grace personified - I had my fingers crossed for you the whole Dakar and couldn't be happier to see you made your goal!! Cheers to you and your team. Fantastic.

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #18253
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,281
Noob-type Dakar questions:

Why are the cars and trucks so much faster than the first bike if the event is so tough? Is there that much wide open expanse to let the 4-wheelers take commanding advantage of top speed so that when the terrain favors bikes there is no way to make up much deficit??

Way, way back in the day, the bikes used to be fastest in the Baja 1000 because the terrain was so rough that the cagers equipment couldn't do as well as the bikes. Then the cagers started building big time suspension and big motors to go with it. And the route was more acceptable to cages as it was on 'roads' as opposed the the virgin brush. Is Dakar so cage friendly that bikes no longer/never have a chance to finish first over-all, over-everything?

Is there a significant difference in racing mileages for the bikes vs cages?

Is that the bikes have to navigate for themselves such a detriment compared to the cages' designated navigator?

Anybody got any idea what the racing mpg is for the average top ten vehicles in class?

If there is a link to such basic data where a noob can read all about it, please share it?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #18254
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,132
one thing for sure, following the DAKAR with the F5ers would not be the same if it wouldn't be for the underdogs like Luis (imagine everybody would just arrive on time? )
Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #18255
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,544
How Dakar got started...

HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote