Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #18331
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Caselli and Robby make an appearance on Dirt Live.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29067255
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #18332
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,179
Caselli

An interview with Caselli:

Caselli looking back:

"Kurt took to the start of the toughest off-road motorcycle race there is – and claimed two highly impressive stage wins. Here Kurt reflects on a Dakar Rally he’ll never forget...

Jonty Edmunds: The Dakar is a very special event, but how did your first Dakar compare to other motorcycling exploits you’ve experienced?

Kurt Caselli: Dakar is on a completely different level from anything else I've ever raced. From the paddock to the course, and the spectators, it truly is unlike anything else. The logistics and organisation that are behind everything are very impressive and with that comes the sense of being in something as big as the Olympics. I was very impressed with the way things were run and how much medical assistance was readily available for everyone involved.

Q: You were selected as the rider to stand in for the injured Marc Coma. When and how did you find out you were headed for South America?

A: I was asked if I wanted to go just two weeks before the start of the race. My boss Antti Kallonen at KTM called and asked if I wanted to go, and of course I said yes without any hesitation. Just seconds later I hung up the phone and asked myself ‘what have I just agreed to?'"

. . .

"My best Dakar story would just be this... picture yourself squatting on the side of the road taking your morning dump, while watching the most amazing sunrise... eating a protein bar in preparation for the day ahead. That’s pure Dakar..."

more here
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #18333
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Craig Bounds

Boundsy looks back:

“Doctors told me I could’ve been paralysed at any second,” the 40-year-old daredevil said on his return to Merthyr. “It was a quad bike and it came out of nowhere. It cut straight into my path and totally wiped me out.

“I did a big somersault over the handlebars and landed on the dirt. I lost the feeling in my arm for a while, but once I got myself up, I somehow managed to keep going.”

. . .

“I finished second overall in the Malle Motor time trial,” he said. “I made the decision not to call for air assistance because I didn’t want to quit but, in hindsight, I definitely should have stopped.”

X-rays at the University Hospital of Wales discovered three large fractures in his neck, which could have paralysed him if fell badly again.

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/so...#ixzz2K7zbNz3o
Death Valley Ride
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #18334
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453
The neurotic part of me has finally stopped checking this thread....takes me a while to get the F5 twitch to stop

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #18335
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier View Post
Another announcement coming soon, hopefully as soon as today... stay tuned...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #18336
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post

Crap I just quit F5 and within seconds you lure me back in

Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #18337
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

How Le Touquet inspired the Dakar

"While wandering through the streets of the seaside town of Le Touquet last year, KTM rider Cyril Despres came across an antique shop with a collection of photos of one of his favourite film stars, Steve McQueen.

By a strange coincidence, the shop owner, Frederic Harrewyn, happened to be a good friend of the late Thierry Sabine, founder of both the Dakar Rally and the Enduropale du Touquet, and another big McQueen fan."

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/...1243158595171:
(excerpt)
"What Cyril discovered left the reigning Dakar winner in shock. Not only is Frederick an antiques dealer, but he was also a close friend of Thierry Sabine and he's created a private museum in his honour. For Cyril, it was an Aladdin's cave of rallying memories as he poured over photos, books and an incredible number of mementos that belonged to the man who gave us both L’Enduropale and the Dakar.

If this incredible collection wasn't enough, Frederic asked Cyril if he’d like to give Gilbert Sabine, Thierry’s 90-year-old father, a phone call. Cyril, obviously, accepted without a second thought."

Sabine's buddy and the history of the Dakar:

"Frederic wonders what he would make of the professional Dakar of today: 'In Thierry’s day, the rule book ran to about two pages. I sometimes wonder if they need all these new rules.'"
Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 06:29 AM
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #18338
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:

Old 02-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #18339
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Death Valley Ride
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #18340
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:

Cyril Despres to Sherco for '14?

Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #18341
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

watching king of the hammers right now on uStream.

Maybe we could get South American locals, or one of their friends/family members (or any connection anyone has) to broadcast on uStream from any point along the 2014 Dakar route. I'm guessing the main need would be for a high speed internet connection (how are they doing it in hammertown).

It would never be comprehensive race coverage, but so what?! Live feeds from any place would be super awesome.

Mike
Death Valley Ride
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #18342
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Cyril Despres to Sherco for '14?

I heard Bultaco

Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #18343
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Just shows that I wasnt far off.It looks like a WRC Rally/Enduro event instead of a long distance offroad marathon.

Prep has probably only changed in the way that there are now more people who can afford the entry fees and pay for technology plus support. 2 rider teams with 5 helpers and 2 support vehicles vs the odd malles moto guy.

Then again a 19Yr old 'Malle Moto' guy on a Honda CRF 'grenade' even finished.

Back to Africa and long stages, shine, please shine again oh great Dakar race!
I am also beginning to feel that the Dakar is losing something because the stages definitely were not as long as in previous editions. The diifficulty level was not as hard either I dont think. Look at how many riders could not finish Stage 3 of 2009's Dakar for example. The liaisons were also largely shorter.

Look at what Casseli said:
The biggest surprise to me was how similar the actual racing is to Southern California desert racing. I felt like I was racing a National Hare and Hound everyday with some Baja roads mixed in. I was really comfortable with the terrain and different types of speeds we were going through.

Thats not really what I thought the Dakar was supposed to be...

Anyway if youre keen for something new and more in line with the Dakar of old is the development of this race over the next couple of years. At the moment the five day rally was reduced to only 3 days (the guys doing it need more sponsorship to make it a full time occupation) but its growing in popularity fast and permits larger bikes as well.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #18344
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I am also beginning to feel that the Dakar is losing something because the stages definitely were not as long as in previous editions. The diifficulty level was not as hard either I dont think. Look at how many riders could not finish Stage 3 of 2009's Dakar for example. The liaisons were also largely shorter.

Look at what Casseli said:
The biggest surprise to me was how similar the actual racing is to Southern California desert racing. I felt like I was racing a National Hare and Hound everyday with some Baja roads mixed in. I was really comfortable with the terrain and different types of speeds we were going through.

Thats not really what I thought the Dakar was supposed to be...

Anyway if youre keen for something new and more in line with the Dakar of old is the development of this race over the next couple of years. At the moment the five day rally was reduced to only 3 days (the guys doing it need more sponsorship to make it a full time occupation) but its growing in popularity fast and permits larger bikes as well.
Watch the Australasian too, although only a week for the moment but how about the Africa Eco Race, wont be long before Husky factory riders will be heading there and the KTM boys to the Dakar (new management, new rules ).

Divide and conquer!!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #18345
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:

What??!!

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote