Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #3331
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I didn't see anyone answer you on this but yes, Helder ran out of fuel yesterday and had to wait for Pizzolito to catch up to swap some of the good stuff.
Chris - what is yesterday - SS2 or did it happen on SS3 also?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #3332
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
see what one bad thai lunch can do to your f5 aspirations...

50 odd pages of of backwash from the f5irehose... THAT's what!

so here's how it all wnnt down f5 style!

Verhoven had a BIG f%-ing off on the best bike he's ever raced...

That's all the news that's not f5it to print... we now return you over to Carlton in the central commentary position... just in time for the Eurosplurt 22:00 GMT show!!!!!

and all on page 205... how appropriate...
Great summary TSC, and as usual highly amusing.

Perfecthansel.

A comment on "Verlossen's" big crash: He actaully had two, one on camera and one off camera in the rocks. Sounded like a Merkitt special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
I can't be doing with this work lark!

Tried to catch up at lunch time.... failed - still 30 pages behind

Tried again after work before dinner.... failed - now 43 pages behind

After dinner I was 57 pages down and I've only just caught up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
YES - CAUGHT UP

But I'm off to bed soon - what'll it be, 30 pages behind when I wake up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Day 3: im exhausted! :lol

-stagehand
The F5irehose privateers struggling to stay with Advrider's very own little Dakar rally. Do we need to to start the slow clap?

Come on Stagehand, go Madcow!

Keep reading those posts, and dont let the rally leave you behind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Some new grounding done and the bike is running like new.

Alex is taking things easy out on track, ran into some crashed people (thomas dubois), burned down bike and quads in trouble and even has decided not to jump any of the triple cautions. I guess he has grown up a little (who would have expected that ;)) .

Note worth mentioning is that a SA rider on a Honda decided to flip his bike while wheelieng on a paved section causing some bodily harm and repair bill.

Alex is hovering around place 90 now and will start to press a bit more when the riding gets tougher (his words, not mine).

Thanks for all the PM's.

Sorry I saw you post and had no advice to give...glad he is sorted out.

Im bemused to hear that Honda competitor did the same thing I did - wheeliing on tar and then crashing.
I just hope he did not shatter his tibia, because that might have ruined his day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
What about the ski dude ??
HUSH! Shush! Shaddap... Keep Quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
Stage 3. Pisco-Nazca uploading photos here tonight
http://r1150rt.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...3317&k=Hszpn94

Thanks very much oldgringo! Beautiful pictures! Tell us more about how you are finding following it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Yep, outside communication is not allowed, unless you YELL without any electronic device. Then again, a spectator probably saw what was going on, called his friends, who cmmunicated it to HRC in the bivouac. So Johnny did nothing wrong!
I heard from a reliable souce in told me he made use of his signalling mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
They told Manuel it was "ham".
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #3333
mhouck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Its not the latest he can start, he cannot pitch up at his start time more than 30 minutes late (if the rule book remains the same) on pain of disqualification.

Also, if he gets in too late, (an hour or two before the start) they may choose not to let him continue.You saw what happened to Ignacio Chivite yesterday morning.

To be honest his bikes condition might be too grim as well...but miracles do happen.
Pulling for Don! He's determined as always. If the bike can run and he's allowed in the AM, he'll go!

A screenshot of Don being overtaken by the cars earlier today...
Attached Images

mhouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #3334
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Yep, put it together myself last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3v8cUD2K9w

*pats self on back*

It was easy to do, I only had to be willing to waste a ton of time looking through extremely boring spectator videos looking for an exciting few seconds.

Now THAT was an awesome video, all this time I never realised it was you who made it!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #3335
doyle OP
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Chris - what is yesterday - SS2 or did it happen on SS3 also?
SS2. It's still Monday where I am. But yes, on stage 2, Helder ran out and waited for Javier. I don't believe he ran out today, but he did have problems and did not look happy in the bivouac surrounded by Honda engineers.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #3336
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
Still hoping he is well enough to continue.

I am off for some sleep. Big day tomorrow playing catchup on the firehose.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #3337
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Im having a look at tomorrows stage and if you thought today's downhill was spectacular, try a 3,000 foot (1,000m) steep dune descent for size.... Im hoping I will have something up as they start.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #3338
too old
Keen supporter

Well that another 6 hours kip and best part of 30 pages caught up - 30 mins before leaving for work and the same on arrival sheesh - just as well the 6-8 hours period before the next special is slow, although with the special starting at the bivy maybe it's an earlier start?

Like Troys summary a lot and a masive help to all as an obligatory aid - but nothing like the real F5ing

Another wow day coming up and with a 429km special - nearly equal to SS2 and SS3 together, god only knows what is going to happen - although I feel there will be 1 or 2 on here who may be close -

Queue for Troy ------

too old screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 09:35 PM
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #3339
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Now THAT was an awesome video, all this time I never realised it was you who made it!
Thanks, it was fun putting the clips together.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3340
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Paul Smith, Quad #90:

Had a shit of a day. Got lost for 40 mins. Shoud of trusted my gut. But got sucked into following others. There was a 600M drop onto beach that was nearly straight down. Couldnt slow the big girl down enough to steer around the rocks at bottom and destroyed an a arm. Still was useable though Ran out of fuel three times. Scammed fuel off spectators. Problem with fuel transfer pump.
But I'm here and ok.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #3341
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
someone had put daily map and route highlights together all in one place. I can't find the link . any help guys ?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3342
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
I'm in the snowball, not sure I'll catch up.

Probably massively 205'd by this, but I like "Bootstrap" Lucchese.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3343
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
I guess like all things the Dakar is changing, even though there are many men and the ASO who claim it is not. Im afraid with the shorter stages over more days for a shorter total distance is going to do that. People are getting soft, what happened to that camelman image that I used to see riding accross Mauritania? How will we ever get back to the way it was? I think if we were honest with ourselves, it will never be the same again. Its going to get more and more technical and more and more flash as time marches on. Where else can they take the Dakar? To Mongolia maybe? Where else apart from Africa? And if its anywhere else, will they get the same exuberant, money waving crowds? Not it wont.

Thats why the Dakar cannot leave South America. Its about big business, and big names like Volkswagen these days. Who is seen to be doing it. Sabine did not envision the top 25 guys walking out each morning in their clean gleaming riding suits every day did he? Newly refreshed riders climbing out from under their down duvets in their air conditioned campers, perfect looking bikes, while only a handful of pitiful, dirty malle moto guys continue with their old school methods, situated close to the toilets. I dunno about you guys but as much as I love the Dakar, the race, the road books, the fact that it remains brutal, its not the same Dakar I signed up for buts its all we got. Not that this by any means takes anything away from the guys battling their asses off to get to the end of each day. Look at Don Hatton, Ignacio Chivite - And Luis for example. These guys are the Dakar and I salute them....But if we were brutally honest with ourselves, the rest of it has become a bit of a rich boys game hasn't it?

The question we need to ask ourselves is what next? As things change something new evolves right? Where will the Dakar be in 10 years time?
I think you are right on with those comments,ASO are a business,they run other major sporting events such as Tour de France,and with that event,each town bids to pay the highest,then ASO arrange to start or finish there each day,it very much a franchise.
There are many riders here in Europe who go on the smaller rallies in North Africa,such as Tuareg,Race Africa,Heroes Legend purely for the fact that they do not stay in separate areas,but have 1 bivouac,where all eat & sleep together,and share the comaradary of all other competitors,bike,quad,car,truck,and mix with the organisers.
Yes,the sleeping arrangements can be "interesting",food "variable" and toilet/washing facilities "sparse",but from my own experiences,the friendships formed from these amateur events,where you are mixing with like-minded individuals,is probably more than you would expect to get from larger events.
They appeal to the original TS Dakar philosophy of getting out there and trying to do something out of your comfort zone,both as a rider and culturally.When you arrive in some of these North African countries,it can be a shock,but it is best to respect their beliefs and attitudes,it is their land,but enjoy the freedom of the areas you travel through,ride within your abilities,because you generally have to fix any damage yourself,without the luxury of back-up,and there is nothing better than riding with a group of friends with the same outlook.
I,for one,hope that the smaller rallies and raids in North Africa continue,because getting the experience of riding in these remote areas will become more difficult as the years progress.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #3344
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
I for one, hope to see you there.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #3345
too old
Keen supporter

With only half an hour separating the top 30 or so and an hour the top 50 and only 2 real days in, it's still anyones game for the 2nd, 3rd and remaining top placings - 1st, no comment