Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8266
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 620
Hmmm, perhaps Cyril's brand ($$) gets a little less outsized and the whole sport gets a little more affordable. KTM happy, HRC happy, other riders happy, cyril probably just fine.
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8267
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,404
damn - here goes our conspiracy theory...

bad timing for a technical... I don't care who you are, it stinks loosing it this way
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8268
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
No men with moustaches?
I saw a woman with a very substantial one stocking up at the local moto store some 30 minutes ago. Perhaps she's heading to catch a private jet.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #8269
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 939
It seems almost karmic justice for this to happen right when it's a marathon stage.

When they open the engine up after the rally, I wouldn't be surprised there's some mud disabling the 5th gear
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #8270
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Highly interesting. Not enough tools... Would love to know what's going on inside the KTM team now! =)
They're are probably drinking and yodelling like last year during marathon. I could't sleep at all, crazy basterds.. Husqvarna was in town getting high on coca leaves, they bought 3 plastic bags that night..

There is nothing they can do about this ..
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #8271
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
meanwhile in the twitterland

Quote:
#CyrilDespres: Te acordas de tu forreada y tu conducta anti-deportiva del año pasado? Lo estas pagando ahora, forro hijo de puta! #Dakar2013
Reply Retweet Favorite
12:42 PM - 11 Jan 13 · Embed this Tweet

# CyrilDespres: you remember your forreada and your unsportsmanlike conduct last year? We are paying now, lining motherfucker! # Dakar2013
* Reply Retweet Favorite
24:42 - 11 Jan 13 · Embed this Tweet
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #8272
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

No gloves?

205'd by Cuttle, not surprising with this crowd

bluesurf screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 02:00 PM
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #8273
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Ned, you're like EF Hutton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
This thread is still moving faster than one can possibly read, so perhaps this is old news :

Just got off the phone with Ullevålseter from bivouac, Despres lost his fifth gear, and hasn't found it yet :)
So 99% it means end of Dakar for him. There is no legal possibility to repair this, to open gearbox on RR, engine must be opened and inside of marathon it is just not possible. He cannot change his engine for Faria's as well, it would be good for nothing and they have not enough tools out there anyway.

RR's gearbox is sometimes cranky, PAU's exploded this year in Egypt and Coma took his last year at day 13 in Dakar as all of you remember. Since Coma accident KTM developed stronger gears (we have them inside as well) but apparently something went wrong.

With PAU's Egypt engine, side teeth on third cracked and destroyed half of gearbox, so there is little chance CD get anywhere near San Miguel tomorrow. If he cannot kick in fifth, definitely something is there flying loose. Of course there is always possibility miraculously repair the engine along the stage :) but I doubt KTM would take a chance with all this attention at the moment. I can confirm big teams has done it before (simply rode out there to some coordinates and changed what needed), but cameras will follow CD too tight tomorrow to take the risk.

AWESOME. This place never ceases to amaze me with the info and experience that people bring forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
"I did not have 5th gear because I had a petit caillou stuck in my shifter. I'm 100% maintenant."
Jim, did you find this quote out there, or is it tongue in cheek?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #8274
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
F5 spy in the bivouac says Cyril's motor is coming out as I type...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #8275
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
This thread is still moving faster than one can possibly read, so perhaps this is old news :

Just got off the phone with Ullevålseter from bivouac, Despres lost his fifth gear, and hasn't found it yet :)
So 99% it means end of Dakar for him. There is no legal possibility to repair this, to open gearbox on RR, engine must be opened and inside of marathon it is just not possible. He cannot change his engine for Faria's as well, it would be good for nothing and they have not enough tools out there anyway.

RR's gearbox is sometimes cranky, PAU's exploded this year in Egypt and Coma took his last year at day 13 in Dakar as all of you remember. Since Coma accident KTM developed stronger gears (we have them inside as well) but apparently something went wrong.

With PAU's Egypt engine, side teeth on third cracked and destroyed half of gearbox, so there is little chance CD get anywhere near San Miguel tomorrow. If he cannot kick in fifth, definitely something is there flying loose. Of course there is always possibility miraculously repair the engine along the stage :) but I doubt KTM would take a chance with all this attention at the moment. I can confirm big teams has done it before (simply rode out there to some coordinates and changed what needed), but cameras will follow CD too tight tomorrow to take the risk.
you think coma is out? if he knew it aswell on the SS when he waved hes WC passed him, that would mean KTM is now planning without CdP and letting the dogs out to look who is gonna catch pain?

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #8276
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
They're are probably drinking and yodelling like last year during marathon. I could't sleep at all, crazy basterds.. Husqvarna was in town getting high on coca leaves, they bought 3 plastic bags that night..

There is nothing they can do about this ..
Hahaha! =) Would be awesome if the pub/restaurant would be located right next to the bivouac so that CDP can skulk around the fences of the bivouac listening to the yodelling, knowing that there's nothing to be done. =D
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #8277
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Jim, did you find this quote out there, or is it tongue in cheek?
Adding to the conspiracy since it was mentioned that his bike will somehow be fixed overnight.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #8278
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!

Oddometer: 824
009 Oliver Pain quote:

Quote:
It's sure that with Cyril's problems that gives me a significant gap for the lead, and that's a good thing for me. That's just part of racing, but I'm not forgetting that it could happen to me too, so I'm not getting cocky about it, especially since Cyril has the capacity to claw back the time he's lost... So, I'm not getting ahead of myself, I'm just going to carry on like this without taking risks and enjoying myself. Today I just concentrated on my own race. With the injection system, I knew our bike wouldn't suffer too much from the altitude, so it's all been fine... I'm still in the lead, so overall it's been a good day.
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/s...uotes-all.html
....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
cvlighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #8279
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,002
I think is obvious, how on earth nobody noticed ?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #8280
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Don't forget that Despres is leaving Orange for Big Red post race so perhaps KTM letting Faria and Caselli run loose is their way of saying goodbye?
Source?