Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #10216
Dekatria
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 936
Penalties in the standings now - CD down 24 mins overall. Any guesses whether he'll swap for a fresh one today?
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #10217
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
News from Manuels FB (google translate)

Manuel is having technical problems with its engine. Does not have enough information to fix it yourself. even if it is in possession of the necessary parts. If someone has bikes to help people through on-site contact us and we will send you directions via SMS on who to contact.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #10218
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Spectator video of Gordon/Walch. Should up in the next 10 minutes or so. I'm posting it now & going to bed.

Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #10219
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla314 View Post

Quote:
Craig Bounds continued to defy the odds by completing stage eight despite the pain in his back getting worse. The tough Welshman has also started to lose feeling in his left hand, but still managed to get through the stage to finish in 101st which puts him 92nd overall.
Holy shit. Boundsy, man, don't do yourself something permanent there...

There's brave and determined and then there is stupid.
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #10220
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Good morning everyone, so, while I catch up, Cyril's notes on yesterday:

After last night’s adventures Cyril Despres (KTM Redbull) received a hero’s welcome from his team when he arrived in Tucuman at the end of the marathon stage. And despite the stress and fatigue of yesterday’s late night, unassisted engine swap, he moves up to 2nd place overall 09’26 behind the leader. His team mate Ruben Faria completes the virtual podium and going into the rest day is third overall at 11’16.

Cyril Despres

“It wasn’t so easy last night. Already the decision to swap engines was a difficult, but once we made it we actually had to put the plan into action. You could see that the other riders were a little surprised when we started work! Some people say that the Dakar isn’t the same anymore, but I tell you last night was the real spirit of the Dakar. A big thank you to Marek Dabrowski and all the Orlen Team for the extremely generous ‘loan’ of their engine.

Today wasn’t so easy either. At one point we were supposed to ride in a riverbed, but we couldn’t because there was too much water in it. So instead we had to ride on the riverbank. The problem was that made the road book distances wrong. I was trying to recalibrate my trip all the time but when we came to a fork in the river I had a doubt. Finally I decided to ride back and check rather than take the risk. It cost me a little time but better lose a little time than potentially lose a lot of time.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #10221
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Penalties in the standings now - CD down 24 mins overall. Any guesses whether he'll swap for a fresh one today?
I thought out loud the same question earlier today... as drgunther pointed out CDP thinks it can go the distance. as a 45min penalty on top of the 24.5 is too much to catch, so top end rebuilds only
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #10222
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Great compilation, Dread!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #10223
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Spectator video of Gordon/Walch. Should up in the next 10 minutes or so. I'm posting it now & going to bed.

Robby doesn't choose a path, the path chooses him.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #10224
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Good morning everyone, so, while I catch up, Cyril's notes on yesterday:

After last night’s adventures Cyril Despres (KTM Redbull) received a hero’s welcome from his team when he arrived in Tucuman at the end of the marathon stage. And despite the stress and fatigue of yesterday’s late night, unassisted engine swap, he moves up to 2nd place overall 09’26 behind the leader. His team mate Ruben Faria completes the virtual podium and going into the rest day is third overall at 11’16.

Cyril Despres

“It wasn’t so easy last night. Already the decision to swap engines was a difficult, but once we made it we actually had to put the plan into action. You could see that the other riders were a little surprised when we started work! Some people say that the Dakar isn’t the same anymore, but I tell you last night was the real spirit of the Dakar. A big thank you to Marek Dabrowski and all the Orlen Team for the extremely generous ‘loan’ of their engine.

Today wasn’t so easy either. At one point we were supposed to ride in a riverbed, but we couldn’t because there was too much water in it. So instead we had to ride on the riverbank. The problem was that made the road book distances wrong. I was trying to recalibrate my trip all the time but when we came to a fork in the river I had a doubt. Finally I decided to ride back and check rather than take the risk. It cost me a little time but better lose a little time than potentially lose a lot of time.
Legend
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 AM   #10225
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
dakar.com stage 8

note: i just finished getting caught up on the retarded f5rehose of the day, even at 20pp, i had almost 70 pages to catch up on... that said, i'll fill in the names for these photos tomorrow morning in the media thread; i'm knackered, off to sleep.

Dakar.com photos from stage 8, re-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread. unfortunatly, not too many photos of the rain-gate / we canceled the stage because the cars were too afraid to cross the river... but pretty good photos from the stage either way. i'm sure more photos will follow once all the photogs slog their way back to the biovac.

#301 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS (ZAF) / DIRK VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU)

#146 - SJAAK MARTENS (NLD)
#171 - LORENZO NAPODANO (ITA)

#15 - FRANS VERHOEVEN (NLD)

#7 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ (CHL)

#139 - SERGIO MIGUEL PETRONE (ARG)
#126 - JUAN JOSÉ BARBERY (ARG)

#9 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA)

i also took the time to post up the dakar.com stage 8 hidden driver candids to the Dakar 2013 Media thread... only one that really bares mention at this time is this:

Jean-Claude Olivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar.com
The bivouac in Tucumán has been shaken by tragic news from across the ocean. Jean-Claude Olivier, a former boss of the Yamaha France team, died in a traffic accident in France this morning. He was not only an iconic figure of the brand with the tuning forks, for which he worked for 44 years before passing on the baton in 2010, but also a witness and an active player in the history of the Dakar in several ways. JCO, as he was known, was one of the pioneers who took part in the first edition in 1979. His best performance was in 1985, when he finished just behind winner Gaston Rahier. Without neglecting his own racing career, his greatest successes in the Dakar came as a team manager, when he guided Stéphane Peterhansel to victory on six different occasions between 1991 and 1998. This man in love with rally raids later worked hard towards Yamaha's return to the Dakar, which became a reality in 2004 with David Frétigné on a 450 cc motorcycle. Just today, David Casteu took over from Olivier Pain at the top of the overall classification of the rally. They both symbolise the continuity of Jean-Claude Olivier's work over several decades.

The Dakar organisers, and especially David Castera, whom Jean-Claude Olivier once took under his wing, extend their condolences to his family and friends.

kaia screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:04 AM
kaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #10226
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Man, the F5irehose is a cruel thing if you´re on a regular sleep shedule. Lot of effort has to be taken to keep...a new XXXXgate every morning...

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #10227
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Ah, Rest day

off to grab some lunch at a seaside taverna.

Catch you all in the evening!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #10228
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Nice write up and picture of Lyndon with his Dad sharing the magic moment.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...oskitt-top10-/

Quote:
Unless they've changed their minds overnight....CD says he's confident this motor can take him to the finish........we'll see.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #10229
Camelz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Surely all four riders in front of CD will also change engines today?

Elsewhere in the torrent of speculation that is the firehose, someone said CD had stated he was going to BA on the Orlen engine

My prediction is anything that is likely, or even unlikely, to happen, will!
Camelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #10230
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com photos from stage 8.

...and there it is....from dry riverbed to surf's up! in an instant!