Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #10246
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBeemer View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, I figured it could be something like unsportsmanlike conduct, but what ever he did has flown under the radar - Google turns up Nada! Probably what ever he did only affected a 'lowly' placed competitor - which (if true) is wrong, they have the least amount of resources to overcome a Dakar mishap, cheers BB
The word 'expulsion' sounds very dramatic, but really all it means is the organisation have decided you cannot continue... I would be very surprised if it was due to 'bad behaviour' - it is far more likely to be either failing to meet your start time, missing [too many] way points, or a technical infraction, such as speeding on liaison or not having the full compliment of safety gear etc. at the start of a stage...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #10247
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Caught a good glimpse of Patrick working on CDR's 450 on Eurosport - that was kind of neat.

One thing that I'd like to say, whether you like his racing strategies or not, or the way the camera catches his bandana in the morning light, is that Cyril Despres is NOT an Asshole (as was mentionned in an earlier post).

I had the opportunity to ride with him over the course of a long-weekend, had dinner and beers with him, chatted with him and his girlfriend over morning coffee, and just generally hung-out with him on the trail at rest stops and fuel stops and lunch stops.

All I can say is that if I didn't know he was an international motorcycle racing Alien, I wouldn't have known it by his demeanour. Completely unpretentious, generous with interesting conversation on other topics, and quick with humour - he was basically a good dude to hang with, as much so as any of the other buds I was hanging with that weekend (except he didn't slow us all down like most of my other buds do...ahem).

So, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the entire person, or his overall character by what you see in the media, or by whatever happens in the heat of a race. I don't understand why cheering for one person means you have to assisinate the character of another person based on what you see in of all places...on the internet!

Anyway...that's my $0.02 FWIT.

(BTW - I'm also not about to judge Marc Coma as an asshole either by what I see of his racing strategies, or of this public relations machine either...)

My first thought here was: Yes, isnt your judgement clouded if youre an asshole, too? :

Of course I'm kidding, Flan.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #10248
BabyBeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
The word 'expulsion' sounds very dramatic, but really all it means is the organisation have decided you cannot continue... I would be very surprised if it was due to 'bad behaviour' - it is far more likely to be either failing to meet your start time, missing [too many] way points, or a technical infraction, such as speeding on liaison or not having the full compliment of safety gear etc. at the start of a stage...

Jx
Thanks JM, that makes sense and also explains why Google turns up Nada! *big thumbs up* to you, cheers BB
BabyBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #10249
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
I asked the Dutch rally nieuws about Verhoestraete, they don't anything. No info on his Facebook.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #10250
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ararat View Post
??
You put +1.. i was +1 so you where +2..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #10251
BabyBeemer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I asked the Dutch rally nieuws about Verhoestraete, they don't anything. No info on his Facebook.
Thanks Flood, I'm a pretty good internet delver and I found nothing, which seems to indicate it wasn't a drama, was just curious from my end. Is there a 'Like' feature here? It would be good to be able to give folks a thumbs up or like for a reply that doesn't need a written response.

Before I sign off I'd like to congratulate Lyndon Poskitt on a fabulous day, good on him, and I'd like to congratulate all the Aussies who are doing quite well in their various roles and responsibilities - AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE! (Traditional Australian Greeting) cheers BB
Old 01-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #10252
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Caught a good glimpse of Patrick working on CDR's 450 on Eurosport - that was kind of neat.

One thing that I'd like to say, whether you like his racing strategies or not, or the way the camera catches his bandana in the morning light, is that Cyril Despres is NOT an Asshole (as was mentionned in an earlier post).

I had the opportunity to ride with him over the course of a long-weekend, had dinner and beers with him, chatted with him and his girlfriend over morning coffee, and just generally hung-out with him on the trail at rest stops and fuel stops and lunch stops.

All I can say is that if I didn't know he was an international motorcycle racing Alien, I wouldn't have known it by his demeanour. Completely unpretentious, generous with interesting conversation on other topics, and quick with humour - he was basically a good dude to hang with, as much so as any of the other buds I was hanging with that weekend (except he didn't slow us all down like most of my other buds do...ahem).

So, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the entire person, or his overall character by what you see in the media, or by whatever happens in the heat of a race. I don't understand why cheering for one person means you have to assisinate the character of another person based on what you see in of all places...on the internet!

Anyway...that's my $0.02 FWIT.

(BTW - I'm also not about to judge Marc Coma as an asshole either by what I see of his racing strategies, or of this public relations machine either...)

(rant off).

I recognize CdP but who is the old grey haired dude?

Hey wait a second, Juames....is that the old dude who follows us around on the weekends? You know, the one we always have to wait for ....

Flanny

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #10253
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,258
Unfortunately, Manuel is telling the truth when he says he has no idea how to rebuild his engine.....he really doesn't have the mechanical aptitude! It's strange but true. A manual is going to be of no help to him unless he can find a mechanic to work on the bike with him. I was his mechanic at Aus Safari 2011.....I'm sad to say he can't even wield a tyre iron in anger! However he's incredibly resourceful and can smell out generous souls to help him at fifty paces. He's also pretty fast on a bike. But needs to work on his soft skills. Just like Joan Barreda does. Get to work Manuel and find a mechanic! We are all still cheering for you!

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #10254
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
My first thought here was: Yes, isnt your judgement clouded if youre an asshole, too? :

Of course I'm kidding, Flan.
Love you too Stagehand!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I

Flanny

Hi Ted !
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #10255
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,298
Yep that's him. Always late, bike never prepared and slow as molasses in January!

Who is that guy anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I recognize CdP but who is the old grey haired dude?

Hey wait a second, Juames....is that the old dude who follows us around on the weekends? You know, the one we always have to wait for ....

Flanny

Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #10256
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Mongolian riders

175 Boldbaatar did a crash on stage 6 and have to withdraw due to a broken handlebar.
174 Lkhamaa still hanging in, consistent in the back of the pack.
Åmme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #10257
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 914
"...Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the way
And more, much more than this, I did it my way..."

Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #10258
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
Update from Dave (RMS)"

Freedom crew has had a few interesting days. They Taco'd rim on the support truck and the RV had used both spares. They had long drive through the Andes with snow. Then the RV needed to be towed for 176k's. RALLY RACING!!!!
Keep it tight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
Well I reckon Pyn deserves a good few beers for that result. But being the focussed rider that he is he won't be drinking them tonight. So I am drinking them for him, along with mine ...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
That's what Robby Gordon thought last year.
Exactly!
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #10259
BabyBeemer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vander View Post
"...Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the way
And more, much more than this, I did it my way..."
He sure did, he's a crazy man Although, I'm not to sure about 'I planned each charted course, each careful step along the way', didn't look a whole lot like that's what he was doing in the clip
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #10260
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,433
Well its 08:08 central USA and where I am its late, I need sleep, must move away from the F5irehose now!

Thanks Team F5

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote