Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #10306
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
That's some good information right there, thanks! The f5irehose to the rescue! =)

My bet is that he'll keep the engine. Should he make up the time on his competitors during the last half of the rally he _might_ swap the engine then, but for now the first priority has to be to make up some time I believe.

This is good to read! I myself haven't gone with the bash crew, but I can see why some do. I saw the coverage called "Chasing the Dakar" (or something like it) produced by Bluebull2007 (was it?) and I remember a part of it where CDP is filmed at an early mornings stage start and the cameraman walks up to him and engages in conversation to which CDP seems to be rather uninterested, doesn't respond and just seems to be generally uninterested. A caption in the film says something along the lines of "OK, don't talk to me then!".

I would like to point out that I don't have "any beefs" with any specific inmates about any of this (and I don't want to have either =), it's just that when I saw that clip I thought to myself that:
"yeah, if I were dead tired in the morning, about to stand on the starting line soon, expected to deliver 110% - then yes, I would probably behave the same as well."
It's kind of the whole paparazi vs. celebrity thing all over again. We can't really expect them to cater to everyones need for conversation at any given time. So for me personally I'm not really bothered about his stonewalling that morning.

There were some pictures in the ES coverage yesterday that showed Stéphane Peterhansel standing infront of his car having his picture taken together with the locals. There were about 10, to him totally unknown, people coming and going, putting their arms around him and a bunch of photographers contiously taking pictures - he didn't really look too pleased. He probably knew that he had to put up with it since he was in the media zone and sponsor deals and yada yada yada, but the look in his eyes was not the same that CDP shows in Flannys picture. That picture is genuine and both people in the picture get their kicks of it! As for the pictures of Stéphane Peterhansel? They could probably have replaced him with a statue. =)

Oh, and good morning btw - had eight solid hours of sleep (04:00 to 12:00). Did anyone say rest day!? I'm ON! =)
Yes very good points. Yes it was my video, and I was the interviewer as well. BY the way you cant look at it anymore because Youtube has suspended my account after repeated copywrite claims by ASO

He and Coma are super inpsirational for me, and so I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak to him for a mine or two. At the time I was really upset and disappointed by Cyrils response to my approach, and it did change my opinion of him, but in retrospect it was 15 minutes before he left on the SS and some pilots just want to relax and focus on what they are about to do, not do interviews or talk to fans.

Ive warmed to Cyril again, especially after the last couple of days and also Flanny's personal anecdotes.

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 09:07 AM
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #10307
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Pedro Bianchi Prata, 4th yesterday, on his nightmare 5th stage:

The day everything went wrong: (actually the Husqvarna is a very good bike and sturdy, made more than 90 km of the stage without water in the radiator and the electric part all melted .... and then 270 km of connection ... we reached the camp at 2 in the morning we exchange the motor and the 5:30 already we were again on the road)

Good to see the customer Husky package doing well

Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #10308
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
I think with the onslaught of additional media this year (francetv, Facebook, tweets, etc) its getting harder and harder to keep up. I'm betting the mods are getting a bit burnt out

Speaking of, remember when Troy used to be apart of the F5 team...seems like ages ago....i kinda miss his humorous daily recaps.
This reminded me of something that happened a long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
As it's rest day, we have the time for some hindsight I think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFvQOc4xS2k

DAKAR WARS

EPISODE 13: The flight to elpodium...

It’s been a war off attrition! The F5 Republic is slowly succumbing to
relentless attacks by the ruthless FITH Lord; Count SH Post’s...
There are heroes on both sides… and the evil mud is everywhere...

In a stunning move, the fiendish android leader, Al-Attacker has swept into
the Rouge Bull capital and overthrown the leader of the Volkswagen Empire…
leaving Prince Perfecthansel and his X-Raid fighters in tatters behind him.

As the 450 Droid Army attempts to flee the mudbath with their last engines intact, two Jedi Knights –
Coma Wan Kenobi and Surreal Despres, lead the desperate rabble towards the capital… for one final battle. . . .

There is unrest in the ASO’les Senate several thousand F5 systems have declared their displeasure with the
scoring system, and threaten to leave the Republic in favour of another galaxy… visser.it.

This separatist movement, under the leadership of Count Bluebull, has made it difficult for the
limited number of F5 Jedi Knights to make sense and order from the galaxy of waypoints.

Senator Brodovitch, the former Queen of n00b is advocating strongly to the F5 Senate
to vote on the critical issue of creating a sophisticated database to assist the overwhelmed Jedi
in understanding the matrix... known as the 101 imperative.

As the sun rises over the Argentine space wasteland, to reveal the amber city planet of Cordoba.
Two lone KaTooMbie fighters fly OVER CAMERA on the endless 645 light years of cyber-liason before them…
followed by a flotilla of 450 droids, the unstoppable Casteu-3.PO , SiBacca and one little star rocket…

the Princess Annie...

Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #10309
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Yes very good points. Yes it was my video, and I was the interviewer as well. BY the way you cant look at it anymore because Youtube has suspended my account after repeated copywrite claims by ASO

He and Coma are superinsirational for me, and so I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak to him for a mine or two. At the time I was really upset and disappointed by Cyrils response to my approach, and it did change my opinion of him, but in retrospect it was 15 minutes before he left on the SS and some pilots just want to relax and focus on what they are about to do, not do interviews or talk to fans.

Ive warmed to Cyril again, especially after the last couple of days and also Flanny's personal anecdotes.
The guys will be like any elite sportsmen, get them away from the competition and the nicest people you could meet, catch them in the zone and Jekyll and Hyde would be appropriate

They can't appreciate waving a mike stuck up their noses after a 400 k liaison and a 300 k special and on the bike for 7 hours, but they put up with that also
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #10310
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:

He and Coma are superinsirational for me, and so I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak to him for a mine or two. At the time I was really upset and disappointed by Cyrils response to my approach, and it did change my opinion of him, but in retrospect it was 15 minutes before he left on the SS and some pilots just want to relax and focus on what they are about to do, not do interviews or talk to fans.

Man, it sucks that they've removed everything! I enjoyed that content!
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #10311
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:

This does not sound good at all..
I keep worrying about Bounds. His back problem doesn't seem like one that will hold up over another week of Dakar.

Did Dabrowski do any work to Cyril's engine before riding on it the next day? Looks like he made it in 79th yesterday. I assume he'll be doing an engine swap today?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #10312
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Laugh

Latest from TSC was I think just before the start of the marathon. Word is he came out on the ss, was swept away by Flooding at a wp Rivergate, stranded in a small village with no Foster desperatly growing a moustache. Locals are now terrifyed by a man sneeking around whispering: "mussst fiiiind engiiiine....."

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #10313
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Just got around to listening to Lyndon's call in from yesterday, thanks so much for this Nate

Some amazing, truly priceless info on there (10% ICO deficit in soft sand, who would've ever guessed?)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #10314
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I keep worrying about Bounds. His back problem doesn't seem like one that will hold up over another week of Dakar.

Did Dabrowski do any work to Cyril's engine before riding on it the next day? Looks like he made it in 79th yesterday. I assume he'll be doing an engine swap today?
I would assume he will pull right up to the big orange KTM truck for a refresh
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #10315
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
BY the way you cant look at it anymore because Youtube has suspended my account after repeated copywrite claims by ASO
Set up a new account with the name "bleu taureau" and see if the ASO will bend the rules a bit.

From Simon:

"Simon Pavey – “We are lucky they cut the stage short today. It turned out to be a really long and physical stage. We rode for about eleven hours today; if the special had been the full length it would have been horrendous.

I didn’t ride well at all either, I was tight on the bike and it’s silly, but I picked the wrong goggle. I was riding with a dessert, they’re really good for the road and faster riding but it caused my goggles to fog and it’s hard to ride when you can’t see."
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #10316
El Cucuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Johnny Campbell:

Quote:
This proved advantageous as I arrive to the finish physically 20th but they told me I was 2nd on corrected time! No road book switch, bald tire and all. I would have never thought I would be on the podium as a water boy or at anytime for that matter at Dakar on a bike! Well you might think it heroic and I will definitely relish in the moment but hey sometimes the tortoise wins or almost wins, right?
Nice!

Sounds like Caselli's baptism didn't go so smooth on the last stage! Haha

When even the racers with years and years of navigating experience are getting turned around...odds are it isn't going to go too well for a total newbie!--but that's why he's there this year, anyway, right???

I'm surpised that--given the conditions--so many riders were riding in the actual riverbed itself on that part of the course.
El Cucuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #10317
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ararat View Post
And give it an hour till dry again. seen this in many deserts you can hear it even arriving so you got time to move away.
....and that's when you're left to deal with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post
Stage 8,dakar site
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #10318
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Just got around to listening to Lyndon's call in from yesterday, thanks so much for this Nate

Some amazing, truly priceless info on there (10% ICO deficit in soft sand, who would've ever guessed?)
Just another thing that shows how good the aliens really are, to calculate all that in your head on the fly!!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #10319
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post

And he will cop for a second engine change penalty, but at 79th and 6 1/2 hrs down it hardly matters and would be reason why there were no real issues in the initial swop.

Mind you he must have had some concerns about being able to stand a chance of finishing, with a few doubts on Cyril's " it is ok - ze engine is good for 120 kmph in ze 4th gear, it will get you back no problem.

One interesting thing though was that he only finished 47 mins behind Cyril, mind you, not that even Cyril would have been able to predict the days events to follow
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #10320
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 550
Quote:

Bluebull

I did think that when I watched the video and also wondered if you might have got a better response had you approached him with "Bonjour Cyril comment allez-vous?" rather than going straight in English

I also took your subtitle as being tongue in cheek!

As an international cycling official (Commissaire) we always teach newly qualified guys and girls "never speak to the riders before the start", especially on something like a Downhill Race where they will be waiting their turn alone with only you, the time keeper and perhaps a mechanic in attendance. We always explain that you wait for them to speak to you and if they don't then stay quiet.

It's interesting how riders when in the zone act in completely different ways, some will be "zoned out" hardly even aware of your presence, others may give you a brief nod, or a quick word, whereas others will be chatting and joking right up to the point they accelerate out of the start hut.

In fact two of the chattiest, jokiest riders in recent years have both been French, Cedric Gracia and Fabien Barel so you clearly can't apply national stereotypes to the phenomenum.

I have to say I like Cyril despite the fact that as an Englishman I have been taught from birth to despise all of the cheese eating surrender monkeys over the Channel

That's a joke by the way!

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote