Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #12241
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
Jakes is running for his life, this was probabbly his last chance after 5 unsuccesfull Dakar. He did not saved any money this time, everything had to be the best. I just hope he'll keep the rubber side up and the engine will hold.

I am looking forward to go fishing with him in summer. I hate fishing .... But at least we'll have something to talk about.
Hej priateľu, ale nám Ivan robí tento rok radosť, len čo je pravda
Anyway, Jakes is reducing his gap to Chaleco, the podium is on sight. Still pretty far with five stages to go.
Hold on there Ivan!!!
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #12242
EKIN
Couch Junky Heaven

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I dunno about that.

Yeah, he's wicked quick. In speed, as fast as Despres is a fair assessment.

But alien around these parts means that warp factor 8, while leading. He's getting there, but I don't see that he's made it quite yet. Soon he'll be there, I bet.

That being said, in pure speed, I always thought that Coma had the edge over Despres. Not by much mind you, but all things being equal, Coma is quicker.
Being a rookie I will leave ALIEN term use for the veterans. One thing for sure, he has spent some time in front this year and he is fast.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #12243
sandhill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Jakes is running for his life, this was probabbly his last chance after 5 unsuccesfull Dakar. He did not saved any money this time, everything had to be the best. I just hope he'll keep the rubber side up and the engine will hold.

I am looking forward to go fishing with him in summer. I hate fishing .... But at least we'll have something to talk about.
Hey, you guaranteed the motor would last :). Ivan deserves to be there and i think he is riding a very smart, determined race. If you are in contact with him, please give him best wishes from Dave at El Chott. I had the privilege to ride with him a few months ago and learned much from him.
sandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #12244
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,197
690rr...I think you meant to say "rubber side down"

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #12245
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
What sort of terrain are they crossing today (or more specifically, right now)?
Roads or off-piste?
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #12246
yammie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Makes sense.

But why did this one fail? That would be the burning question for a team manager.

I was responsible for fleet maintenance for a couple of years. It was evident that when one truck failed for a component, all in that series would usually follow. Rarely was it a one off.

That's why the question.
Why it is failing is always somthing to speculate about.

In dirt/enduro bikes the most common gear failures i have seen is the rod that the shiftfork is travling on and the fork itself tends to be bent and not be able to their job and it is if the rider is going down so the shift lever is hitting a rock or something or the rider misses the fotpeg and landing on the shift lever with all his weight on it. If the gear itself breaks it use to be the 1-3 since there is most force to them. As CD lost his 5'th it is mostly certain that it is a fork problem imo.

Since it is a F5ctory team there is mayor controls for parts if the are reusing it or not like x-ray's and mensurment, even thou things can happen like it did for CD..
yammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #12247
Lgo175
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Doggies? WTF
What makes a little boy happier than a basket full of puppies ?
Lgo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #12248
690RR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
690rr...I think you meant to say "rubber side down"

Ups !!! sorry Ivan
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #12249
José Carlos Marques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204

Outch!
José Carlos Marques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #12250
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
I dunno about that.

Yeah, he's wicked quick. In speed, as fast as Despres is a fair assessment.

But alien around these parts means that warp factor 8, while leading. He's getting there, but I don't see that he's made it quite yet. Soon he'll be there, I bet.

That being said, in pure speed, I always thought that Coma had the edge over Despres. Not by much mind you, but all things being equal, Coma is quicker.
Maybe a bit to quick? Remember that is not at podium because he fell, damaging his wheel; and the next day the problems that made him lose time was somehow connected the with the fall, iirc
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #12251
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Asa rookie I will leave ALIEN term use for the veterans. One thing for sure, he has spent some time in front this year and he is fast.

He actually got lost while leading and when he didn't h gave up the lead quite quickly. No way to get good at something without practice and experience though

I wouldn't say he has done great job when leading....this is what earns alien status in my books. Fast, consistent and able to nav while leading. Only one guy out there that can do that

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #12252
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,451
Quote:

It's so hard to get there for one year, it amazes me the guys who are able to get there year after year.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #12253
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
He actually got lost while leading and when he didn't h gave up the lead quite quickly. No way to get good at something without practice and experience though

I wouldn't say he has done great job when leading....this is what earns alien status in my books. Fast, consistent and able to nav while leading. Only one guy out there that can do that
exactly
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #12254
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Wow! CDP is opening well. Berreta Bort only pulling 21 seconds on him to WP6. That's amazing on two fronts...

That CDP is opening and holding on, and that Barreta Bort is even able to pick up 21 seconds! Man, that Husky must be flying!!!

Too bad BB is not in contentiaon for the overall...this would almost be as epic as a CDP/Coma battle!

Has Barreda had any rider-induced issues, or have they all been mechanical (though you could say that some mechanicals are rider induced)?

I watch him ride and think that he can't possibly keep that up. But then he does...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #12255
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Maybe a bit to quick? Remember that is not at podium because he fell, damaging his wheel; and the next day the problems that made him lose time was somehow connected the with the fall, iirc
My assessment of Joan in this Dakar is that he still has to practice on conserving the bike and pacing himself one notch down. If he were riding 5% slower, but with no problems, he might have been leading this race, or at least in the top 3, as well as being a serious contender for the KTMs on a manufacturer's level. right now, winning stages but laying down in 33rd is doing no good to either his team or his CV, and it's a shame as he is extremely promising