Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #13921
JR_FX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
You know the way this reads I suspect he sees himself taking over the reins soon...in a year or so.
Lets hope so! Otherwise all the work heīs done beeing WC itīs worthless!
JR_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #13922
karmataburn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Did the Aliens win stages their first Dakar? Seems obvious to me that Caselli is a pretty smart fellow and a quick study. Probably a real good temperment for endurance racing too. He'd be right there if he hadn't lost those 3.5 hours. Like I posted earlier, he's got the outright speed to beat any of these guys. He just has to learn the other skills required for this type of racing.
Your right Kurt has the speed I would be willing to bet he has not really even hung it out there yet. He seems to be riding well within his limits. I have watched him race many times and the guy is scary fast. At the 2011 San Felipe 250 I witnessed the battle he and Kendall Norman had for the first 30 miles. When Kurt got off the bike I asked him "how was the ride?" He replied "Dusty but fun I'm just getting the feel for this race". He is a freak and him at a comfortable 70% is faster then most going flat out. It seems Kurt and Coma have a great relationship I'm really excited to see what Kurt does next year now that he has had a taste of Dakar.
karmataburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #13923
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I don't like to see Luis stuck on one WP for so long.... did I miss something???
I was just going to say time sure goes slow watching for Luis to hit next wp. wp4 was about an hour ago? Seems like longer.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #13924
Rockteryx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I don't like to see Luis stuck on one WP for so long.... did I miss something???
most of the riders around him needed almost an hour for chrcking in the next wp, last time checked in by someone was only 45 minutes after his wp time ... i think ASO is in chaos regarding the stage stop so I expect a data dump with lots of times ...
Rockteryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #13925
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Did the Aliens win stages their first Dakar? .
As far as I am aware, no... Cyrils first Dakar was on an XR 400 (in the days of the 700cc + factory bikes), so he was hardly on a "factory ride equivalent" and although he was on Arcarons team (KTM B team water carrier role IIRC?) I don't think Coma made any stage wins on his debut...

So Caselli's is a great effort no question.

Without going to the archives to be sure, but there are some other names who I think have taken stage wins as rookies at Dakar...? My guesses would be Kari Tianen (2004/05-ish?) and I think that Andy Haydon may have pulled one out back in 1998. Malherbe and Kinigadner were also freakishly fast in their debuts back in the 80's and 90's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #13926
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockteryx View Post
most of the riders around him needed almost an hour for chrcking in the next wp, last time checked in by someone was only 45 minutes after his wp time ... i think ASO is in chaos regarding the stage stop so I expect a data dump with lots of times ...
I agree. It seems that if you're not in the first 50% lower priority goes to posting live results. Yesterday most of the tail end just popped up (ASS) at about 5pm CST... no midpoints at first either
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #13927
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I agree with everything you wrote... but there is just one thing I have to point out in your post.

I dunno... it might be an American racing thing (RG uses it in almost every post stage Dakar interview he's done for the last five years), but the old; "If it wasn't for (insert random misstake or misfortunate incident here)... we'd be leading this dang thing...!"

It is the awareness of, takinhg steps to minimise and ultimately the management of the unpredicatbilities that riddle the dakar from start to finish, that defines a winner... an alien is one who can do it repeatedly.

Lewis Hamilton would have been world champion this year... if it wasn't for the three blokes in frony of him in the points table.
I dunno Troy, perhaps you are being too harsh.

I think Casseli might be even be good enough to win one or two american enduros or even the Baja.....

Sorry could not help myself with all this US vs them.
As usuall winning hearts and minds boys - hearts and minds!

Great to see you back in the thick of things tsc - we've missed you.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #13928
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
2015 prediction...Cyril retires to cars and Kurt becomes KTM's #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
"Retires" to cars, I love it . Somebody has to stop Peterhansel before he gets to 13 wins...
Peterhansel has won Dakar 6 times on a bike, this year he's on the way to his 5th victory with a car hence taking the record away from Vatanen. Logically he has to move to trucks to grab 8 victories to surpass Tzar Chagin.

So Despres is free to take his place in a car
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #13929
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockteryx View Post
dank' sche

good - maybe I'm just a bit impatient ...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #13930
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
I was just going to say time sure goes slow watching for Luis to hit next wp. wp4 was about an hour ago? Seems like longer.
Nearly 2hrs. Your "wp4 now" post was posted at 3:11PM (their time).
C'MON LUIS!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #13931
michalCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
The fucking ski dude again!
Somebody tweet carlton that we're calling in a fire mission on his location.
Enough is enough.
Come on, you're being to harsh on him. That man CAN drive for sure, otherwise he wouldn't be 14th overall. Consistency over reckless speed...
In Europe this guy is a kind of reference in terms of sporting career, maybe like Phelps in US.
BTW: It's obvious he got the screen time thanks to Red Bull.
michalCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #13932
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
You know the way this reads I suspect he sees himself taking over the reins soon...in a year or so.
Sounds like that to me too.

A team Faria, B team Caselli?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #13933
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

So Faria has been a water carrier for 3 seasons? What did he do before that? How old is David Knight? Seems like he could do a solid Dakar. How about Juha Salminen? Did he every try Dakar?

I guess I am asking what the career path is for the top riders? I know about Gaston...but what about the others?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #13934
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Nearly 2hrs. Your "wp4 now" post was posted at 3:11PM (their time).
C'MON LUIS!!!
Just for reference, Yesterday Luis seemed to be at the start all day ...until he was tat the finish. I suspect that there's some issue with the sentinal setups or maybe the GPS' aren't reading right.

I don't have any doubt that he'll be there in the end.
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #13935
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

fast forward to 2014/15...

Take the retired "Aliens" out of the equation... KTM has broadened it's base to a "customer factory bike" supplier role (as opposed to the the four man factory effort of the last six/seven years). Husqvarna (via Speedbrain) extablished as a second powerhouse, with a four rider effort and (possibly) a good base of "customer" bikes to rival that which KTM offer.

HRC find the pace after much wringing of hands and bloodletting and the formula 450 "kit suppliers" of the world (Meca System, JVO, etc.) have a plethora of trick bit's for fast privateers to turn WRF's KLX's and RMX's into rallye rockets...

With names like Caselli, Barreda, Helder and Faria to mantle the role of a new (maybe one day) alien nation... and a bevvy of other young guns to come through... rally raid (DAKAR in particular) could be as or more competitive than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote