User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
One on a snowmobile, one on a streetbike:

Snowmobile story: I was 15 or so...had a Scorpion Stinger 440.....fast machine, BITD. Was blowing across plowed farmland, which had a pristine surface, from the 18+ inches of snow we had received during the previous few days. I am running 40ish, when all of a sudden, the sled starts to violently slow...As I am going over the bars and windshield, in a slow motion handstand, I see wire and fence posts starting to pop up from just under the snow on either side of me....I had run the skis right under the top stand of a barbed wire fence that was buried. I went over, landed on my back, and the slde went over, landing on my legs, with the track still spinning. LUCKILY, it wasn't an Artic Cat....those things came from the factory with a studded belt. Dug myself out from under it, and rode home.

Bike: While stationed at Ft. RIley, we decided to go to a little bar in GrandView for a few beers and some pool. I lived off post, so didn' bother wearing a helmet (you had to have one to go on post). While at the bar, a buddy ran out of money, and wanted me to ride back to the barracks with him. I borrowed a helmet for the ride. Anyhoo....we leave post (on Grant Avenue), and I pull off on the gravel shoulder to take the helmet off. As I get back up to speed (still on the gravel) I start to angle towards the pavement. Front tire made it fine, but he back tire got hung up on the edge of the pavement, and it pulled the bike right out from under me...

Now, this is mid 80s.....I am wearin a sleeveless shirt, and my best pair of parachute pants.....I landed right on my left shoulder and left wrist.....as I am sliding down the road, I can see the car that I had apparently started to pull out in front of sliding straight at me..I knew sure as hell I was gonna get mowed over.

Had a VERY small raspberry on my left shoulder...that pavement was polished so smooth that I didn't even get any scratches that actually bled. Tore that borowed helmet up tho, as the bike was on top of it, as both slid down the road.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I managed to get all screwed up in a rut and fell right in front of another rider. Just so happen to have it on video. This was during a hare scramble, hence nobody stopping to laugh err check on us.

Surprisingly, I wasn't any more sore from that than I normally am after riding. Just a tiny hint of a bruise.

I low-sided my drz in the traffic circle in the middle of town also. There were about a dozen city workers doing something in the middle of it that got to watch me eat shit. Just some scrapes on the bike and my gear though.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 02:15 PM
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I have a great one for this.
I was on the dunes with my 450SX, on a downhill between trees. I had slowed at the top of the hill to figure out where to go down so I don't harpoon a tree, once I saw where the exit was I creeped just over the lip of the dune with not much power to coast down. What I couldn't see was that a truck had gotten stuck at the very top of the dune and left a massive hole. I went right into this hole, where the front tire decided it didn't need to move anymore. This started the endo perfectly, I went over the bars, with bike doing a complete flip. Where my body landed was the perfect spot, because my head got sucked up into the rear mudflap by the paddle tire, it was at this point I knew it was going to be bad. The bike stalled with my helmet jammed between the tire and the rear mudflap, and continued to tumble down the hill with my head stuck there. I did about 3 tumbles to the bottom of the hill with my head stuck the whole time, and my body getting whipped around. There was a crowd who thought they had just watched someone die at the bottom of the hill. When I got my head unjammed I stood up to a crowd of about 10 with faces about like this . I have a new helmet and mudflap now, but I kept the old ones as a reminder.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #20
cheekorollo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I lived in London for a few years (as all good Australians do- otherwise they wouldn't have anyone to tend the bars over there) and whist I was there decided to get my bike license as it was the most economical way to get around.

After getting my license (in early Feb!) I picked up my first ever bike... a '98 CBR600F. The perfect learner bike! Needless to say I rode it very conservatively, and was never tempted to test out the performance of the thing.

On one particularly conservative ride down in Cornwall, running out of time to check in to a hostel, I made a safe and conservative pass on a little hatchback... at around 90 mph. However, this car had been obscuring a roundabout, and 90 was not quite the right speed for this particular obstacle.

I threw out the anchors and hauled the thing down to a reasonable pace (or so I thought) but still not slow enough to go round. So I thought I'd go across it. No probs- when I reached the curb I pulled on the 'bars thinking I'd hop up on to it like I would on a pushbike. Needless to say, this had very little impact on the front end of a 200 kg supersport!

Over the roundabout we went, upright and missing all the on roundabout signage, and then popped off the other side. Just as I was about to complete the thought 'well that worked out ok', the front end started pulsating wildly so I pulled up. The front tyre was flat and the rim so warped I could fit my finger between it and the bead! The back rim was similar, although the tyre had stayed up. Whoops.

I parked the bike up, walked two miles to the nearest town, Helston, checked in to a B&B, got drunk with the locals and organised a lift back to London with a lesbian and an ex-lesbian!

I ended up selling the bike to the local bike shop for 600 quid and coming back to Aus shortly after... damn I miss that bike.

Oh yeah, I don't class this as an off... because I didn't fall off!