User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #256
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
Nice to see Henry still has a few moves . . .

Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #257
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
Indeed the greatest football manager alive if not ever.
Indeed. The talking heads only really offered up Bob Paisley as competition.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #258
wxwax
Excited Member

In July of 2011 Jurgen Klinsmann was appointed czar of USA soccer.

One year and 9 months later, he still has no idea who should be on his team.

“So right now you’re handling 45-50 players” for the summer friendlies and the Gold Cup.

50 players. The man simply can't settle on squad. I find this very discouraging. I'm not contending that there are 11 (or 23) players of supreme talent who select themselves. USA doesn't have anything like that kind of ability.

But I betcha no other national team coach is still trawling through 50 players after almost two years on the job. Does he really think he's missed a few hidden gems?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #259
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
FA Cup on Fox - Turn it on NOW
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #260
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
FA Cup on Fox - Turn it on NOW
I literally just turned it on and Wigan should
ve got a penalty then scored on the corner. Incredible!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #261
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
I literally just turned it on and Wigan should
ve got a penalty then scored on the corner. Incredible!
Ur Welcome

Wow - Wigan - BIG upset
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #262
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Well, that's Mancini's final nail. Now wouldn't it be great if Mourinho came in at City and he wins everything next year

Benitez has done enough to remain at Chelsea (and Fat Frankie has the all time scoring record for the club today so that's him gone too ). I like Chelsea (I've been to Stamford Bridge a few times) but damn, are they weirdly ruthless.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #263
wxwax
Excited Member

Fantastic result for Wigan. I really like Martinez, so I'm very pleased for him. This win might secure him the job at Everton even if Wigan go down. And it looks almost certain that they will be relegated, unfortunately.

They play a lovely style of football and it's nice to see them rewarded with a piece of history. This is one of the all-time upsets in a FA Cup final that hasn't seen one since the 1994.

Benitez was a mistake hire and he'll never have the permanent job at Stamford Bridge. The fans have hated him since the mid-2000's when he ran his big mouth about Chelsea and Chelsea fans. Fuck him.

It was a stupid hire and his record is being gilded for doing the bare minimum. There was no suggestion that Chelsea were in crisis when Roberto di Matteo was fired. And I question the tactical nous of a man who takes off Hazard and brings on Yossi Benayoun -- twice! -- when the match is in the balance. His substitutions are generally awful and he hasn't really cured Chelsea's defensive issues.

Mourinho isn't my first choice as the next Chelsea manager. But with the United and Bayern jobs taken, maybe this time he'll actually settle down at a club and cut down on the theatrics. Unfortunately, I fully expect another power struggle as he tries to wrest player acquisitions away from Michael Emenalo.

Frank Lampard is a Chelsea legend. The highest scorer in the team's history. Up until two years ago I had the guy on a pedestal. Character, class and ability. Then he helped stab AVB in the back. Since then, I've had mixed feelings about Frank. With his career threatened, he showed an unpleasant side to his personality. It's said that Roman Abramovich is reluctant to sign him -- or Terry -- to new contracts because of how they treated AVB. I understand and sympathize with Roman. I suspect that Lampard's fate is in Mourinho's hands. If Jose wants him, he'll get a deal. Otherwise, he'll move on.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #264
wxwax
Excited Member

ps Tactics were on display at Wembley today. I guess they stole the German clubs' thunder!

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #265
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Frank Lampard is a Chelsea legend. The highest scorer in the team's history. Up until two years ago I had the guy on a pedestal. Character, class and ability. Then he helped stab AVB in the back. Since then, I've had mixed feelings about Frank. With his career threatened, he showed an unpleasant side to his personality. It's said that Roman Abramovich is reluctant to sign him -- or Terry -- to new contracts because of how they treated AVB. I understand and sympathize with Roman. I suspect that Lampard's fate is in Mourinho's hands. If Jose wants him, he'll get a deal. Otherwise, he'll move on.
So why did the mad Russian fire AVB and not Terry and Frankie? That's what's so weird about that club. Different circumstances but Fergie got rid of any player he wanted no matter how big.

P.s. it seems a done deal but I'd rather see Mourinho at City. And Martinez at Everton would be a great test
Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #266
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
So why did the mad Russian fire AVB and not Terry and Frankie? That's what's so weird about that club. Different circumstances but Fergie got rid of any player he wanted no matter how big.

P.s. it seems a done deal but I'd rather see Mourinho at City. And Martinez at Everton would be a great test
I'd love to see Martinez get the Everton job. I get the sense the club was worried that fans might not accept a manager who's never won anything but relegation battles. (Irony there, since the club itself hasn't won anything since 1995.) It's possible that winning the FA Cup is enough to impress fans and club management (whom we're told have been admirers of his.)

It's a sad reality of sports that you can fire managers more easily than you can players. It wasn't working with AVB. The persistent suspicion is that the reason why is that major figures like Lampard, Terry, perhaps Ashley Cole, and perhaps a few others, were stout in their opposition to him. Both Terry and Lampard felt threatened: Terry's not fast enough to handle the high line; he was exposed repeatedly and could see the end of his career. And Lampard was being benched an awful lot. It split the dressing room, with Mata and Meireles most obviously AVB supporters.

With such a schism at the core of the club, the manager has to go. But the owner's well within his rights to hold a grudge against the principles and ease them out in a way that doesn't hurt the club.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #267
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think Rafa helped Chelsea in the long run. You cannot say two substitutions is a legitimate excuse to hate him. He has an interesting footballing brain, and he got one of your worst players (Luiz) and turned him into one of your best. Chelsea could do a lot worse than Rafa. To be honest I rate Rafa higher than I do Mourinho.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #268
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
I think Rafa helped Chelsea in the long run. You cannot say two substitutions is a legitimate excuse to hate him. He has an interesting footballing brain, and he got one of your worst players (Luiz) and turned him into one of your best. Chelsea could do a lot worse than Rafa. To be honest I rate Rafa higher than I do Mourinho.
1/ I can only think of one game in which Rafa's substitutions had a positive effect. One. All the rest have either been neutral or positively harmful. It's a far bigger problem than the two highlights I mentioned.

2/ Who on this lovely Earth thinks David Luiz was one of Chelsea's worst players? Crazy talk! I give Rafa credit for trying him as a DM, something a lot of us thought would be a good idea almost as soon as he joined the club. So yes, that's a positive. But no way Luiz was a bad player before. Nobody thinks that. He had moments of rash judgment, but he also had moments of genius.

3/ I'm not Mourinho's biggest fan. But I will gladly trade you Rafa for Jose. I might even give you some money to grease the deal. Other than Luiz, Rafa didn't do much different to what di Matteo had been doing in his short stint at the beginning of the season. 4 at the back, two DM, the The Three Amigos weaving all over the pitch and a single striker.

The #1 reason that Chelsea closed the season strong is because the young players (a) finally got know each other on the pitch and played better together and (b) Hazard became more willing to drop back and defend a wee bit. Mata never will, he seems to be incapable of it. (Oscar and Moses always did.) Hazard's been pushed to defend more both by his club coaches and his national team coach. It looks like the message finally registered.

Despite Rafa's defensive reputation, the back 4 continue to have problems. I expect that Mourinho will make fixing that one of his top priorities.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #269
wxwax
Excited Member

Today we discovered there are, in fact, three levels of stupid.

1/ Stupid stupid
2/ Mario Ballotelli stupid
3/ Sulley Muntari stupid

Upset that he was about to be given a yellow card, Sulley Muntari thought the best way to save himself was to arm lock the ref until.... well, maybe he was hoping to talk the ref out of it as he wrestled with him? What an idiot. Yellow changed to red card, of course.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #270
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ugh, this is how I feel about Chelsea fans at the moment.

Chelsea draw to Tottenham - "Argh Rafa is the worst manager ever because he subbed x for x"

Fernando Torres is Chelsea's top scorer - "argh Torres is the biggest flop of all time! Get rid of him for a Championship player!"

Chelsea beat Man Utd over two legs - "Argh Rafa is the worst boss of all time because he didn't bring on Hazard soon enough to score!"

Chelsea only has two teams who have conceded less goals than themselves this year (Arsenal and City) - "argh Rafa is a crap defensive manager!!"

Come on man, Rafa is good and you know it. The only thing I hated was his timing for subs (subbing them on at 85+ mins) and the lack of consistency against lower sides.
This year you've lost against : Man Utd, Man City, West Brom, West Ham, QPR, Newcastle, and Southampton. Thats a hard pill to take without City and Utd.

Also, when Luiz got here and started playing CB the goals were flowing in, he was far too rash and everyone who watched knew it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: