Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #301
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Barca think they're done with Mourinho. How wrong they are.

Barca tend to be full of themselves. Some nonsense about showing the football world how to conduct itself properly. Showing how us plebeians how it's done, here's club vice president Carles Vilarrubi:

"Mourinho has been a blight on Spanish football," he said. "His leaving is positive. A negative climate was generated."

First of all, what an idiot. All he revealed is how much Mourinho scares Barcelona. Secondly, he just guaranteed that any time Barca meet a Mou club in the future, it will be a revenge epic.

So, not just classless, but also dumb. Barca showing the world how it's done.
right, except for the fact he did blight Spanish football with a lot of ugliness including deliberately poking Villanova in the eye (iirc), and his own team rebelling against the culture of aggression he was instilling.

And let's not forget how ugly Chelsea were as a team under his management. Sure they won but no-one except their fans got much pleasure from watching them. He's huge entertainment no doubt, but his first year at Madrid pretty much showed that playing against a consistently better team with an aesthetic and deep rooted tactical foundation, he had no answer.

Personally, I think Madrid is the un-doing of him as a manager and he'll be a bust at Chelsea.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #302
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,254
Stoke City fire Tony Pulis, the man who brought them up from the Championship and the man who has made them a solid mi-table club, on limited resources.

But Pulis' simplistic attack no longer pleases the owner. So out he goes.

Methinks Stoke City may live to regret that. Methinks perhaps they've taken their place in the Premier League for granted. Pulis' teams were defensive and physical. They were well-supported. So he was fired for aesthetic reasons.

Apparently Stoke want to be Swansea or Wigan. Only without that Wigan relegation thing.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #303
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
right, except for the fact he did blight Spanish football with a lot of ugliness including deliberately poking Villanova in the eye (iirc), and his own team rebelling against the culture of aggression he was instilling.

And let's not forget how ugly Chelsea were as a team under his management. Sure they won but no-one except their fans got much pleasure from watching them. He's huge entertainment no doubt, but his first year at Madrid pretty much showed that playing against a consistently better team with an aesthetic and deep rooted tactical foundation, he had no answer.

Personally, I think Madrid is the un-doing of him as a manager and he'll be a bust at Chelsea.
Yabbut you also think Ronaldo is overrated, so I have a feeling your emotions sometimes get the best of your judgment.

Also, you miss my point. It's classless to speak ill of the dead. After all, they're dead.

You move on gracefully. Except that Barca, the club full of itself with notions of grace and good conduct, couldn't do that. Mou scared them and they took one last swipe at him. Thus ensuring a permanent enemy for the future.

That's not only stupid, it's also hypocritical.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #304
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,602
Quote:
It's the US model for running a sports team. It's always interested me that football has traditionally done it differently.
Aaaaand Arnesen is gone.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #305
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
Aaaaand Arnesen is gone.
I'm not surprised. He took to Hamburg Chelsea youngsters who weren't going to make it in the Premier League. That made me question his judgment (beyond his poor results in finding youth -- Gael Kakuta, I'm looking at you.) It's funny, when he left Chelsea and went to Germany, a lot of Chelsea fans didn't believe that he'd been fired. For some reason they were in denial.

Bummer about Goetze's hamstring. It's really a shame he can't play.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #306
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Mou scared them

Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #307
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
A match played in 2010? Let's try the present.

Oct 7 2012: 2-2
January 30, 2012 1-1
March 2, 2013 2-1
February 26, 2013 3-1

Combine score this season:
Real Madrid 8 Barcelona 5

Barcelona did not defeat Real Madrid this season. Last season, Real Madrid won La Liga with a record points total and a record goals total.

Yes, they feared Mourinho. Rightly so.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #308
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
A match played in 2010? Let's try the present.

Oct 7 2012: 2-2
January 30, 2012 1-1
March 2, 2013 2-1
February 26, 2013 3-1

Combine score this season:
Real Madrid 8 Barcelona 5

Barcelona did not defeat Real Madrid this season. Last season, Real Madrid won La Liga with a record points total and a record goals total.

Yes, they feared Mourinho. Rightly so.
Again

Barcelona lost their most successful coach to retirement/sabbatical. The replacement had the best start to a season in club history before being diagnosed with cancer and having to take medical leave. The replacement is, by his own admission, way out of his depth and yet they still make the semi's of the Champions league AND win La Liga with four games in hand (and they're on target to equal Madrids record points from last season).

Meanwhile, Madrid has won NOTHING this year. Nada, Zip, not a thing. This fearsome coach is in such a hurry to leave he's left 12 Million Euro's on the table and is scampering back to the club that has an owner who is actually nuttier than the coach - no wonder he feels at home there.

So no, I doubt it's anything close to fear. It is as it appears; a reasonable summary of what Mourinho actually was at the helm of Madrid.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #309
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
So no, I doubt it's anything close to fear. It is as it appears; a reasonable summary of what Mourinho actually was at the helm of Madrid.
OK, they don't fear a coach they couldn't beat this season. Sounds reasonable.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #310
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Not a bad final I guess (all the long ball merchants and honking it up to a holding big man philosophy will be happy). Was definitely the final of the keepers.

Seems like a throw back style and if this is the start of German football dominating Europe, then I doubt it. Dortmund were robbed of two red cards particularly Dante's penalty foul which bizarrely didn't get a second yellow

I am interested what Pep is going to do with this Bayern team, how much more interesting if he had gone back to Barca or even taken over a team like Dortmund. What an awesome coach Klopp is (what an awesome pair of glasses too).
Old 05-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #311
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
How Dante didnt get sent off I will ever know....
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #312
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,688
Robben's pass and his goal were nifty. Great match.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #313
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Robben's pass and his goal were nifty. Great match.
Has any player been more one sided? He must make a series of left turns to go right. he did look the most likely goal threat on the Bayern team though.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #314
wxwax
Excited Member

Pretty good match, especially the first half. It just felt like this was Bayern's time. Great team.

Refs just don't like to send guys off in big matches. It's the Howard Webb syndrome.

Man, I would take Reus and Lewandowsky for my team. Love those players.

I think Dortmund just ran out of puff. Pity, they were playing some lovely, one touch, beautiful passes in the first half. Gorgeous.

Do Bayern still have a match left to play? The DFB-Pokal? I thought the UCL was supposed to be the last match of the season in Europe?

If Bayern win that one as well, Pep will indeed have a tough act to follow.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #315
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Not a bad final I guess (all the long ball merchants and honking it up to a holding big man philosophy will be happy). Was definitely the final of the keepers.

Seems like a throw back style and if this is the start of German football dominating Europe, then I doubt it. Dortmund were robbed of two red cards particularly Dante's penalty foul which bizarrely didn't get a second yellow

I am interested what Pep is going to do with this Bayern team, how much more interesting if he had gone back to Barca or even taken over a team like Dortmund. What an awesome coach Klopp is (what an awesome pair of glasses too).
It's a shame someone had to lose this game. One of the best finals
I've seen. Bayern was able to withstand the early Dortmund pressure
and Neuer made some great saves early on. Weidenfeller also made
some great saves. As far as Dante getting a second yellow card I can
understand why he didn't. Not every foul that leads to a penalty kick
is given a yellow card. Dante's foul was more clumbsy than malicious
and I think that's why the ref didn't throw him out. I think it took more
guts from the ref not to toss Dante than it would have to card him out.
Just my opinion. I'm glad we got a game where 2 teams came out to
play and not pack 11 men in front of goal and hope for a break away
goal or penalty kicks. It's just too bad that so many so called soccer
fans think there has to be an English, Spanish, or Italian team in the
final to make it worth watching.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: