Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #586
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Hats off to Athletico but you can't help but think the Barca project has run out of steam. They just look like a team that's missing their spark. It happens.
Yeah, I've been thinking that for two years. But now that Xavi is really showing his age, I think it's becoming even more obvious. Plus, Messi's hurt again. He's too young to have recurring leg muscle problems. Too many games?

Early days in La Liga. Real Madrid have their own problems to sort through. Nobody was impressed by their opening day win and they've now lost Xabi Alonso for three months with a broken foot.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #587
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking that for two years. But now that Xavi is really showing his age, I think it's becoming even more obvious. Plus, Messi's hurt again. He's too young to have recurring leg muscle problems. Too many games?

Early days in La Liga. Real Madrid have their own problems to sort through. Nobody was impressed by their opening day win and they've now lost Xabi Alonso for three months with a broken foot.
I read somewhere that something like 50% of the top talent has left La Liga this year to play elsewhere. It would have been great to have seen Villa move to the EPL and I've always been a fan of Fabregas.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #588
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Well shit, City blow it (their habit of losing games they should win is still intact as is United's of doing the opposite). Chelsea have signed Et'o and pissed off Spurs with Willian (nice to see Mourinho getting up in everone's grill - that man is made for the EPL )

Talking of Spurs, they keep winning by single goals and Soldado is the best business they've done this year. If they can scalp one of the big three (please, please let it be United) then they might shock a few people this year.

p.s. Looks like Bale is going to Madrid after all just as Ronaldo starts talking up a return to the EPL.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #589
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Well shit, City blow it (their habit of losing games they should win is still intact as is United's of doing the opposite). Chelsea have signed Et'o and pissed off Spurs with Willian (nice to see Mourinho getting up in everone's grill - that man is made for the EPL )

Talking of Spurs, they keep winning by single goals and Soldado is the best business they've done this year. If they can scalp one of the big three (please, please let it be United) then they might shock a few people this year.

p.s. Looks like Bale is going to Madrid after all just as Ronaldo starts talking up a return to the EPL.
Time gets awfully short for such a big transfer.

I am not sure why Spurs need Willian. They seem to be quite improved by now. I think a good team need quality rotation, but too many good players can only lead to disaster.

Bundesliga had a red weekend. 8 sending offs in the 9 games.

Hertha won again!! It was only a 1:0 against those masters of underachieving in Hamburg, but anyways.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #590
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
I am not sure why Spurs need Willian. They seem to be quite improved by now. I think a good team need quality rotation, but too many good players can only lead to disaster.
I enjoy watching Spurs play, almost as much as I enjoy seeing them lose.

Tottenham have an excellent spine. But they're very weak on the wings. Their fullbacks are pretty good. But wide forwards Chadli, Townsend (even if he drew a penalty today) and Lennon are not great players. That's why they need a Willian.

In two matches Spurs have yet to score a goal from open play. They have two goals, both from penalties. That's not the plan. AVB wants free flowing football and lots of goals. But Soldado cuts a lonely figure right now. They can't get him the ball.

Paulinho looks fantastic, great signing. Capoue looks pretty good too. Today AVB played three holding mids, and when Spurs had the ball he moved Demebele and Paulinho higher up, taking over the center of an attacking line of 4.

So, 4-3-2-1 when defending and 4-1-4-1 when attacking. They dominated a Swansea which seems to have lost its way.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 09:49 PM
Old 08-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #591
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
City's loss is the first crack at the top of what should be one of the most competitive Premier League seasons in forever. They've lost two central defenders to injury (Matija Nastasic and Vincent Kompany) and had to put a holding mid, Javier Garcia, back there. Kompany and Nastasic could be out for weeks, so the pressure's on City to add a body.

Man, I hope Chelsea can at least get a point at Old Trafford. Huge game for so early in the season. I expect the old Mourinho rope-a-dope, sit back and strike fast on the break. I just hope Chelsea can hold ManU off.

So far only the Telegraph is reporting the Eto'o deal, but it makes a lot of sense. Chelsea will pay a minimal transfer fee in exchange for picking up Eto'o's exorbitant wages. And for Anzhi, who are looking to slash their wage bill, packaging Willian and Eto'o is sound business.

I hope Eto'o has something left. He was a marvelous player.

It's funny to hear Barcelona once again lecturing people about being disrespectful. This time it's Real Madrid's fee for Bale. Honestly, with the way they play, you'd think Barca would be embarrassed to talk about disgracing the game.

ThePikeman, for some reason Premier League clubs love to leave deals until the last days of the transfer window. I expect Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester City and perhaps Manchester United to all announce signings before September 2nd.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #592
wxwax
Excited Member

Everyone's chitter-chattering about Wayne Rooney starting for United.

But Chelsea's line-up is much more interesting. They have three strikers. None are starting. Instead, Mourinho has put winger Andre Schurrle at striker. Hmmm. And 35 year-old Frank Lampard plays his third game in 7 days. The same pivot has started all three matches. Ramires won't wear down. But Lampard will.

Juan Mata, Chelsea's player of the year the last two seasons, is on the bench. In his place is Kevin DeBruyne.

Chelsea's front 4 look loaded with pace and directness. I guess there's good chance we'll see them press ManU all over the pitch and look to strike hard and fast when the ball changes possession.

Playing Schurrle at striker and benching Mata are huge decisions. Chelsea fans love Mourinho but he certainly has their attention with these decisions.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #593
wxwax
Excited Member

0-0. Good result. Typical Mourinho. Take no chances. That's how you win titles.

It's good for the young players to be exposed to a disciplined style of play. All of them, even the center forward, came back to defend when necessary. That's what was missing under DiMatteo and the FSW -- they left players up the pitch to receive the ball. That left the defensive midfielders exposed and under siege and the defense became stretched. Today the defense was nice and compact, denying Manchester United space around the penalty box.

As a result, van Persie disappeared for most the game and outside shots weren't threatening.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #594
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Everyone's chitter-chattering about Wayne Rooney starting for United.
I don't get that guy, is it petulance or has Moyes (Ferguson) gotten together with Wayne and cooked up a scheme to fuck with Mourinho? Glad to see the Mou has called him out publicly to put-up or shut-up. Good for him.

As obscene as it is to pay 100M for Bale, there was an article in the Telegraph today that said Madrid made back the 80M fee they paid for Ronaldo, in the first year of merchandising sales alone

Barcelona's business with Neymar is similar. Sure he's a talent but more importantly he extends the Barca brand into South America. Ah, what a good, honest working class game football is
Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #595
wxwax
Excited Member

To be fair, Rooney was fantastic on Monday. They played him behind the striker, basically as a #10, and although he didn't give van Persie much service his passing was the best of anyone's and he fought all over the pitch. You can see why Mourinho wants him.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #596
wxwax
Excited Member

Just your average Liverpool fan.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #597
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I lol'd
Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #598
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
I lol'd

Barca held scoreless at home against Atletico. Had to win the Spanish Super Cup on the away goal rule, 1-1. Neither of Spain's top two teams are playing well right now, both adjusting to their new coaches, Barca perhaps in decline. If only La Liga were deep enough that another team could take advantage and challenge for the title.

Without a doubt Dani Alves is the man I hate most of all the players in the world. Tonight he drew a red card against an Atletico defender. it happened off the ball, as he and the defender were jostling down the sideline. Alves threw himself to the ground twice. Neither time did the side judge, who was right beside them, raise his flag. The side judge on the far side, on the wrong half of the pitch, is the one who told the ref it was a red. Sucker.

Classic Alves. I never, ever say this; but really, if he were to somehow suffer a career ending injury, I think the sport would be better for it.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #599
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:

Barca held scoreless at home against Atletico. Had to win the Spanish Super Cup on the away goal rule, 1-1. Neither of Spain's top two teams are playing well right now, both adjusting to their new coaches, Barca perhaps in decline. If only La Liga were deep enough that another team could take advantage and challenge for the title.

Without a doubt Dani Alves is the man I hate most of all the players in the world. Tonight he drew a red card against an Atletico defender. it happened off the ball, as he and the defender were jostling down the sideline. Alves threw himself to the ground twice. Neither time did the side judge, who was right beside them, raise his flag. The side judge on the far side, on the wrong half of the pitch, is the one who told the ref it was a red. Sucker.

Classic Alves. I never, ever say this; but really, if he were to somehow suffer a career ending injury, I think the sport would be better for it.
You never do but you did. What is it with you and Barca?

I finally caught up to the Chelsea - Man U game. Jesus, what a yawn fest and we're reminded exactly why the Russian canned his ass the first time. Despite your happy spin, Moyes came out of that game the winner. I liked Chelsea last year and the trio of Oscar, Hazard and Mata was the most promising mid-field n the EPL. Now Mourinho is going to do a Real and grind his way to a title and remove everyone's will to live.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #600
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
You never do but you did. What is it with you and Barca?

I finally caught up to the Chelsea - Man U game. Jesus, what a yawn fest and we're reminded exactly why the Russian canned his ass the first time. Despite your happy spin, Moyes came out of that game the winner. I liked Chelsea last year and the trio of Oscar, Hazard and Mata was the most promising mid-field n the EPL. Now Mourinho is going to do a Real and grind his way to a title and remove everyone's will to live.
They both won. But advantage Chelsea. Who's looking up at whom in the league table? Who got a point away against the champions?

Moyes' victory was the lesser. Basically, he won by not losing his first home match. That's it.

Rooney also won. By keeping his mouth firmly shut during the transfer nonsense, he didn't alienate the fans, who loudly supported him as he played himself into Man of the Match recognition.

To a lesser extent, John Terry won. because Mourinho keeps his teams compact when they're defending, Terry's lack of pace is never exposed the way it was under AVB and the Fat Spanish Waiter. Mourinho plays to Terry's strengths, which are considerable.

As a result, Terry was the Chelsea fans' consensus Man of the Match.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: