User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Carl Childers OP
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 371
Question 1000 cc V Strom

How many of you here riding them and building them as adventure bikes?

I'm thinking of finding a used low mile bike for a project if this is feasible. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has done this. I'm looking for a big trailie for more pavement riding to supplemEnt my mostly off road DR650
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,664
The DL1000 works best on pavement. Once you fix the high-mileage clutch basket studder and throw in a PCIII to overcome the sputter, it's a great road bike.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Hi Carl, I rode a DL1000 for about a year, I bought it used, I already had the DL650 but wanted to try the big one out. Mine was the early model prone to blowing the rear throttle boot off and had the unsuzuki like trany, and the clutch defect. Of course I found out about all of the good traits after purchase. Anyway buy as new as possible, all the issues were worked out on newer models. Mine had pipes and a PC and was regeared for low end grunt, it sounded awesome and would really move but I soon sold it, compared to 650 it was heavy, shifted weird and drank too much fuel for long distance traveling. Only rode 1000 on a few dirt roads, so didnt get too serious into dirt work with it. Best wishes. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 89
The 1000 can be a really good all around "adventure" bike. Especially if you stick to roads ( paved or unpaved ) 99% of the time. Later models have the same issues with the clutch which is easily and permanently cured. The fueling issues are sometimes fixed with a Power Commander, although I recommend doing everything you can to get the tune perfect first. That helps keep the fuel mileage acceptable! PC's tend to drop the mileage. Typical owner satisfaction upgrades to the seat and windscreen of course. Beyond that they can be VERY comfortable for extended highway riding at speed and a heavy load doesn't bog them down any.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
scottalot
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
The 1000 can be a really good all around "adventure" bike. Especially if you stick to roads ( paved or unpaved ) 99% of the time. Later models have the same issues with the clutch which is easily and permanently cured. The fueling issues are sometimes fixed with a Power Commander, although I recommend doing everything you can to get the tune perfect first. That helps keep the fuel mileage acceptable! PC's tend to drop the mileage. Typical owner satisfaction upgrades to the seat and windscreen of course. Beyond that they can be VERY comfortable for extended highway riding at speed and a heavy load doesn't bog them down any.
Totally Agree :) +111
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
Talk to the members of http://www.stromtrooper.com and they'll show you the way.

TwistedThrottle.com and AltRider make some great gear for the Vstrom. I've loved mine since the day I bought it new in '04.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
RandyG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I have a 07 1000 strom and ride it more than my zx10, it's great for long trips, very comfortable for two up riding, and is very dependable, put some luggage on it, a new seat, and your ready to hit the road.

RandyG screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 09:10 PM Reason: Spelling error
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
JohninVT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
The V-Strom is the Rodney Dangerfield of ADV bikes. The high viz, twat-suit wearing crowd seems to dismiss the Strom as an all-road tourer. However, they're terrific machines once you get a Madstad and a windshield that works for you. Like any FI bike, insuring the TPS and throttle bodies are synched is basic maintenance. I've never experienced the "chudder" but mine did run lean and low rpm fueling sucked. I had my dealer reflash it with a Yosh box(for free) and it runs great now.

It isn't an off road bike. It is an ALL road bike. It will run gravel as well as any other machine out there and eat superslab like a touring rig. I rode about a thousand miles of gravel roads on mine last fall. It'll also go 130mph with the saddlebags and trunk mounted. It's got a big tank, great ergos and a decent seat. They're also known to run hundreds of thousands of miles without needing any mechanical repairs(beyond scheduled maintenance).

If all that isn't enough, they are crazy cheap second hand. For one quarter of what you would pay for a GSA, you can buy a super nice, well cared for Strom.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I am seriously considering buying one, but my big question is - *Will it wheelie easily?* After looking at a bunch of bikes with my wife, we like the big 'Strom, and a KTM 990 SM-T. I know the SM-T will wheelie on demand, but it does not have the comfort and reliability factor that the big 'Strom has. The V-Strom looked big, and long in the showroom compared to the KTM. Whatever I end up with will be a 99% road bike, rarely, if ever venturing off road. I am just concerned that the extra length and weight of the V-Strom will make it much less *Fun*, when riding solo.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
I'm about to start my 3rd season with a DL1000. I have taken my Vee EVERYWHERE that I've taken my F800, and all the places that my friends have taken their DR650s, their KLR650s and Super Sherpas. Is it the ideal bike for doing trail rides? Nope. Will it put smiles on your face after every time out? Fucking right it will.

Here's my DL1000 on the Trans-Lab Highway:

Other than a blown tire, the bike performed flawlessly. I have no clutch chudder and my fuel issues are resolved.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
A big DL looks better and better, the more I read about it. Maybe I should just give up on the idea of hucking my street bike around like my dirt bike... I *am* shopping for a new dirt bike as well, so the money I save on buying a big 'Strom will just be re-directed to my new Enduro bike anyway... A street legal KTM, Beta, or Gas-Gas 525 should give me all of my jollies, and my wife will end up happier on the 'Strom than the SM-T...
Is there an easy way to drop the passenger pegs on the V-Strom 1000? I did this on my DR650, and it made all of the difference in the world for her.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Beware of one thing with the DL1000.

There is a HUGE aftermarket for the bike, lol.

I bought my 04 from its original owner, he never once rode it in the rain...the bike looked literally brand new, had 13,500 miles on it.

He had added Two Bros exhaust and a DynoTune with a dynomometer slip receipt so I knew it had been tuned correctly.

I test rode the bike before purchase and couldnt believe the torque and the beautiful sound and he only wanted $3,500 obo for it.

I bought it but resisted farkeling it because I wasnt sure Id keep the bike unless I felt confident I could solve the one achilles heel the bike had....wind buffeting!

I HATE buffeting, it gives me a headache and I know its an unnessecary evil.

I bought a CalSci windshield and that solved 99% of the buffeting. Then I bought a Madstadt bracket to fine tune out the last little bit.

Took it for a couple of extended rides and I really bonded with the bike. Especially in the twisties...keep it in a lower gear, wind the piss outta that V-Twin and it really responds through the corners and no need to touch the brakes with that awesome engine braking.

Then the farkle fest began...

Skidplate: Enduro Guardian

Crashbars: Givi

Knobbies: TKC 80 front, K-60 Scout rear

Tank Bag: Bags Connection City Bag (with power pass through on mount ring)

Luggage Racks: Givi

Luggage: Pelican side cases & Givi E45 trunk

Bar Risers: 2" Rox risers

Handlebars: Pro-Taper Raptor Bend

Grips: Heated grips

Fork Brace

Center Stand

I'm sure Im forgetting an item or two, but you get the idea!!

The sky is the limit when it comes to personalizing/farkelling the DL1000.

I've read where people have called the bike boring. I believe thats because they havent left the bike in a lower gear and wound the heck out of the motor very often, because it really comes alive when you let it stretch its legs a bit!

Ive taken my spouse out many times and its totally comfortable on and off road with the two of us...we have tens of thousands of miles together on my Harley Road King so she knows what she likes and what she doesnt like. She loves riding on the back of the big Vee.

Get one, you wont regret it.

Vincenthdfan screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 11:07 AM
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
2007 Dl 1000

I'm an old grey haired guy who has touched 42 states and 10 provinces with mine. Because it's totally reliable I've done lots of 2-up and solo mileage.
windtogo.wprdpress.com
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
robert110411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
+ 1 for the 1000

I have a 2012. Got an awesome deal on it.

When I first brought it home I was happy. then after a few Highway rides I was disappointed.........then my MADSTAD bracket came and I swapped my mirrors for Aprillia Touno mirrors...............and I was happy again.

haven't done any really hard off road work yet but have covered some really rough dirt and gravel roads and two lane trails.

Covered a bunch of miles solo and with my wife and it was great.

Couldn't be happier.
robert110411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
scottalot
Blank Space

Oddometer: 140
I love my 1000 as well. Once you take care of the wind issues and tune it to your likeing you'll be a happy camper. I haven't gone to crazy with the trails but I have hit some dirt and gravel. Did good on both and even kept the wife happy riding on the back in the dirt. Great all around bike and very reliable. Even better once you splurge on some farkles :)
scottalot is offline   Reply With Quote