User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
MMasz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Shipping from Canada to the US

Hi: I am considering buying a piece of gear (jacket) from a Canadian dealer and having it shipped to the US (FL). What is the best way to do this? I think I’ve read that DHL has a way to get through the customs hassle and direct ship.

Any suggestions?
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,165
DO not use UPS.

they have some sort of 'customs' charge once it gets here, you have to pay before they will give your package to you.. it was $55 a few years ago, I had already paid the seller, Seller alreadt paid the shipping, and the part was in the UPS guys hand. He wouldnt leave it until I pad the custom charge.

I knew the ups driver ( daily drops/pickups at work) so it was legit. just not expected.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
River
Gee

Oddometer: 156
I send stuff to my family in Ocala all the time(I live in Alberta)...have them use Canada Post or USPS. If it doesn't wiegh too much, the charges should be decent. If your doing it near the middle of November, expect delays, thats about when all the Xmas shipping starts

It was more expensive when they lived in the keys, much more reasonable mainland.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
DO not use UPS.

they have some sort of 'customs' charge once it gets here, you have to pay before they will give your package to you.. it was $55 a few years ago, I had already paid the seller, Seller alreadt paid the shipping, and the part was in the UPS guys hand. He wouldnt leave it until I pad the custom charge.

I knew the ups driver ( daily drops/pickups at work) so it was legit. just not expected.
You mean that it's not just us Canucks that get bent over by UPS and their infamous brokerage fee from things coming from the 'States!!??

You guys get dinged by UPS from stuff up here sent to down there too? Hmmph. I would not have guessed that.

Die UPS, Die.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,295
My wife ordered a Life Is Good dog collar from Ebay for $8. UPS wanted $26 brokerage. I told them what they could do with the collar and their brokerage fee. I make a point of telling businesses that I won't deal with them if they use UPS.

2007 KTM Adventure 990
HD Road King (SOLD! Now get off my back Junac and McCadders)
Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Vacation in Canada. It's amazing how small the import duty is on undeclared items

Otherwise use USPS. All other shipping services have to collect import duties. The government affiliated shipping agents are exempt, which is one more reason to make sure your representaives in congress change the current trend of (effectively) legislating the USPS out of business.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
FedEx includes the custom brokerage service as part of the freight costs.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
MMasz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Thanks. It appears that using the Canadian and US postal systems is the best bet.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote