ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
Jurgen
Trolljegeren
 
Jurgen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Sandoval, Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 39,859


Jurgen's parents Passat. (it is a TDi) Very nice car.
__________________
They're nihilists, Donny, nothing to be afraid of.


Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #32
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post


I'll see you at the early bird special
Excellent! I hope it's brisket. Or maybe a nice piece of salmon...
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
Really? The new passat and Jetta are made in South Carolina. Doesn't get much more american than that. Ford Fusions are made in Mexico, Chrysler 300s in Canada as are the chevy impalas.
Oh how I love these discussions. We're so far gone in this country we've actually convinced ourselves if it's built here it's domestic. While I'd rather see a foreign manufacturer actually create some stateside jobs and build their cars here, that does not qualify them as "domestic".

What's better for our economy? Purchasing cars that are built here by foreign companies, or purchasing cars from domestic companies that build cars both here and abroad?
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #34
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,138
And while I'm on that subject:

"The truth is: Three of the 16 major automakers doing business in the U.S. -- Chrysler, Ford and GM -- produce more than half the cars assembled here, use twice as many parts per vehicle than their competitors, are headquartered in the U.S. and employ two-thirds of America's autoworkers..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1652219.html

While I'll admit the sentence about using twice as many parts per vehicle is scary and that the article has good points on both sides, the fact is the big three do far more for our economy than all of the others.

Everyone is free to spend their money where/how they see fit, but I'm going to turn a deaf ear when everyone yells about the loss of our stateside manufacturing jobs. I seek out U.S. products and most of the time will willingly pay more for them.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
green hell
yawning or snarling
 
green hell's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: caro, michigan
Oddometer: 19,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
And while I'm on that subject:

"The truth is: Three of the 16 major automakers doing business in the U.S. -- Chrysler, Ford and GM -- produce more than half the cars assembled here, use twice as many parts per vehicle than their competitors, are headquartered in the U.S. and employ two-thirds of America's autoworkers..."
that guy is out of his fucking mind, unless he meant to say "twice as many domestic parts per vehicle..."

anyway, one of the girls at the plant just bought (leased) a passat over christmas break. not too bad looking in person. traded in her jelly bean jetta for it.

her son works for vw.
__________________
lookin' for a place to happen;
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #36
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
that guy is out of his fucking mind, unless he meant to say "twice as many domestic parts per vehicle..."

anyway, one of the girls at the plant just bought (leased) a passat over christmas break. not too bad looking in person. traded in her jelly bean jetta for it.

her son works for vw.
I do think he was mis-quoted, but the way it was printed was funny.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dave in Wi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
Oddometer: 1,940
Well this thread is well off the rails so what the heck...

Chrysler, GM and Ford use twice as many parts per vehicle than their competitors? Wow.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Chrysler uses 3x as many, GM 2x and Ford about 1.1x.
__________________
Dave in WI
2002 ZRX1200R
1975 XL100
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #38
green hell
yawning or snarling
 
green hell's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: caro, michigan
Oddometer: 19,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Well this thread is well off the rails so what the heck...

Chrysler, GM and Ford use twice as many parts per vehicle than their competitors? Wow.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Chrysler uses 3x as many, GM 2x and Ford about 1.1x.
that was either a misquote or a dumbass remark from a lobbyist, but there's no way it's factual.
__________________
lookin' for a place to happen;
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #39
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
that was either a misquote or a dumbass remark from a lobbyist, but there's no way it's factual.
You sure hang out in a lot of VW threads. Dump that Subie and get a Golf R like you know you should.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #40
green hell
yawning or snarling
 
green hell's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: caro, michigan
Oddometer: 19,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
You sure hang out in a lot of VW threads. Dump that Subie and get a Golf R like you know you should.


wife's looking at the new new beetle.

when i total this wagon i'll be looking at a wrx.

although since i don't drive as much these days, maybe i could lease a vw and dump it when it gets hinky.

you know, in three years.

__________________
lookin' for a place to happen;
makin' stops along the way - the tragically hip

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #41
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post


wife's looking at the new new beetle.

when i total this wagon i'll be looking at a wrx.

although since i don't drive as much these days, maybe i could lease a vw and dump it when it gets hinky.

you know, in three years.

That's it, I'm totally doing an oil change in your driveway while you are at work. I may even use a drain pan.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #42
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post


wife's looking at the new new beetle.

when i total this wagon i'll be looking at a wrx.

although since i don't drive as much these days, maybe i could lease a vw and dump it when it gets hinky.

you know, in three months.



But I'm not here to defend the WRX. My '06 got bought back at 1.5 years old/18,000 miles. Fun car, but I really should have purchased the Mustang GT I'd really wanted. It probably wouldn't have had so many issues.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post


But I'm not here to defend the WRX. My '06 got bought back at 1.5 years old/18,000 miles. Fun car, but I really should have purchased the Mustang GT I'd really wanted. It probably wouldn't have had so many issues.
The 2006 Mustang GT with the 4.6? Crap, you'd have kids picking on you with Altima V6's in that thing.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #44
Bueller
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
The 2006 Mustang GT with the 4.6? Crap, you'd have kids picking on you with Altima V6's in that thing.
It did ok with 325 HP. Not the Mustang of today, but it was still a high 13/low 14 second car.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #45
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
It did ok with 325 HP. Not the Mustang of today, but it was still a high 13/low 14 second car.
Right up until the spark plugs blew out of the head.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014