Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
BrzGSAdv OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Using IPAD to plan tracks? Possible?in

Does anyone knows if that is possible?

Any IPAD - Garmin conectivity available? I guess not because IPAD has no USB port... right?

If there is it would be great to have the ability to carry an IPAD instead of laptop in long trips and plan on a day-by-day basis especially as you get to know places better when getting there and then route change-possibilities arise...

Best
Pinho
1978 Yamaha TT125
Ride on!!!
BrzGSAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,381
As of this point, there is no interface or planning tool on an iPad that interfaces with a Garmin GPS.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
Does anyone knows if that is possible?

Any IPAD - Garmin conectivity available? I guess not because IPAD has no USB port... right?
The iPad actually does have a USB connector if you buy the camera connector but Apple has chosen to not let it see anything but cameras through that USB connector.

Frustrating, to say the least. Maybe someone could Jailbreak that?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
I jailbroke my ipad and did some playing around. Wasn't able to do what I wanted. The ipad is unjailbroken now.

Basically it allowed me to read the sd card in the adapter instead of just loading pictures. This meant I could pull .gpx files off of it and look at them in MotionX GPS. I could also navigate to the MotionX GPS storage area on the ipad and grab the .gpx files it used to store data. However MotionX GPS only does tracks, not routes. So it was of no use for me and my Zumo. Or little use. Also, the track manipulation in MotionX was kind of weak in my opinion.

I found no other app that stored routes as gpx files. If I could have, then it would have probably worked out. I found the jailbroken ipad (late ios 4?) was less stable and would crash occasionally. So when it was time to upgrade to one of the 5.x releases I let it and never bothered to play with jailbreaking again.

So, it is possible to read the sdcard in the adapter and the file system, but it involves a questionable practice (jailbreaking phones was apparently legal, but the non-phone devices not.) and less than optimal results.

Please, let's don't get into a jailbreaking discussion. It is a gray area and not for most people anyway.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
I am looking at the new Intel version of Surface to do this. In a pinch I could use it to navigate too with a my GPS stick and Microsoft's Street and Trips.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,196
I still find my asus netbook to be a nice companion to the gps....also loaded with digital topo maps and now with a program called Gmapcatcher I can download sat. images of my travel area along with wifi for email/weather maps, skype for wife and with a 6 cell battery up to 11 hrs of usable time so no panic on multi day rides....even a little music at night along with ebooks to read...
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
I am looking at the new Intel version of Surface to do this. In a pinch I could use it to navigate too with a my GPS stick and Microsoft's Street and Trips.
I'm keeping an eye on those too. The version of the Surface that's out now runs Win8 RT which is restricted to running Apps designed for RT. Once the version that runs the full version of Win 8 is out (fairly soon, more $$$) it's supposed to run all PC software.