User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Umarth OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Sidi Adventure Rain issues, anyone?

Got me a pair of Sidi Adventure rain last summer.
rode about 20-30,000 km in them.
On road and off road (80/20)

As they stand:
1. not water proof for shit.
2. Stiching on left foot (where shifter hits) is all torn and protective plate is comming apart.
3. Preaty much the same for the right foot.

And before you ask, I take good care of my stuff and have not abused them in any way.

So, just wondering: anyone else as *impressed* as I am about his sidi adv. rain boots??
at 400$ a pop, I was expecting a bit more durability out of these things...
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,477
By "rain", I assume you mean the non Goretex version. Mine have held up fine and been waterproof. I saw several posts about people having issues and it always seemed to be the Goretex versions that were falling apart. Relative to the whole, it seemed the problems were rare but similar to yours. I was wondering if the Goretex versions had QC issues.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
No problems with mine , 18 months ,lots of off road .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
No problems with the pair I had. Saved my right foot in a crash. Survived well enough to be resold minus some missing leather along the side.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 370
Have had mine for 2 years now and 21,000+ miles including crashes on the dirt. Love them!!! They are currently on my feet as I ride Latin America, lots of water and not issue. They kind of squeak but that's taken care of with some flour or similar powder. Love them!!! Would I buy them again, absolutely!!
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
I have the Gore-Tex™ version. Piles of miles and no problems.

Completely waterproof and I've put them to the test more than once.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umarth View Post
1. not water proof for shit.
The "Rain" version was never advertised as "waterproof".

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
The "Rain" version was never advertised as "waterproof".
I bought the Sidi Discovery Rain boots a couple years ago. Mine have held up fine cosmetically, but never were water proof. I pay the big bucks for a product called "Rain" I would think they would be waterproof. The water comes in where the seem and sole are sewn together. Have tried Snow-Seal a couple of times and still leak, may have to try something else. I have had cheapo riding boots that have kept my feet much drier.

From Revzillas site:
"Membrane equipped to add a water resistant yet breathable barrier between the elements and the rider’s feet."

So water resistant and not water proof, but Hmm Rain, water.. big bucks...one would think....
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,413
I wouldn't be happy either. Less than $400 can buy you a gore-tex boot and dry feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Xeraux
Archvillain

The problem is many inmates swore up and down that their "Rain" versions were waterproof in the Sidi Adventure thread. I got chided more than once for contradicting them. The "waterproof" camp even went as far to rationalize it that Sidi was just saying the "Rain" versions weren't waterproof just to cover their asses in a legal sense, but they really were waterproof.

I think a lot of inmates made their decisions based on those inaccurate testimonials.

Xeraux screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 08:05 AM
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:
The problem is many inmates swore up and down that their "Rain" versions were waterproof in the Sidi Adventure thread. I got chided more than once for contradicting them. The "waterproof" camp even went as far to rationalize it that Sidi was just saying the "Rain" versions weren't waterproof just to cover their asses in a legal sense, but they really were waterproof.
Probably me.

I think the reason the Goretex versions are listed as waterPROOF is because Gore will warranty them. Whereas whatever membrane is in the Rain version leaves Sidi on the hook for their claims. Unless there is some government or third party standard and testing agency setting a standard for boot waterproof-ness, it is a legal thing. Not a legal standard, but legal in terms of civil liability)\. What can they be held liable for based upon what they advertise. With a Gore product, they won't be liable for anything regardless how it actually performs?

I've said it before, all else being equal, I would get the GoreTex ones. But my Rains have kept my feet dry. I don't care what semantics you use, waterproof or water-resistant, my feet have been dry. I am also certain neither boot will be waterproof if you wear them while swimming in a pool. So, in my mind, Sidi bases that statement not on performance but on $$$.

But feel free to link me to whatever standard the boots were tested to in order to earn the "waterproof" label, and I'll agree with you that there must be a performance difference. (Not saying the GoreTex wouldn't outperform the other membrane. It may, but the labeling is irrelevant to that IMHO).
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Probably me.

I think the reason the Goretex versions are listed as waterPROOF is because Gore will warranty them. Whereas whatever membrane is in the Rain version leaves Sidi on the hook for their claims. Unless there is some government or third party standard and testing agency setting a standard for boot waterproof-ness, it is a legal thing. Not a legal standard, but legal in terms of civil liability)\. What can they be held liable for based upon what they advertise. With a Gore product, they won't be liable for anything regardless how it actually performs?

I've said it before, all else being equal, I would get the GoreTex ones. But my Rains have kept my feet dry. I don't care what semantics you use, waterproof or water-resistant, my feet have been dry. I am also certain neither boot will be waterproof if you wear them while swimming in a pool. So, in my mind, Sidi bases that statement not on performance but on $$$.

But feel free to link me to whatever standard the boots were tested to in order to earn the "waterproof" label, and I'll agree with you that there must be a performance difference. (Not saying the GoreTex wouldn't outperform the other membrane. It may, but the labeling is irrelevant to that IMHO).
Gore asserts it's waterproof because that's how it's designed to perform and they're willing to back it up by replacing it if it doesn't.

It's back in the thread somewhere, but the folks at Revzilla and Sidi said the "Rain" versions were never intended to be "waterproof" for manufacturing cost and import cost issues.

I'd hate to think that someone is reading your assessment of the "Rain" version and buying the boots thinking that they're going to be waterproof and is ultimately disappointed to find out that they aren't. That's kind of an expensive mistake.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Butters
. . . . . .

Quote:

I'd hate to think that someone is reading your assessment of the "Rain" version and buying the boots thinking that they're going to be waterproof and is ultimately disappointed to find out that they aren't. That's kind of an expensive mistake.
I think if anybody thinks ANY boot will be totally waterproof and be that way forever will be disappointed. However, you can find numerous instances of leaky GT Adventures (and numerous instances of leaking Adventure Rains). So I don't think the GT ones are waterproof as in the plain meaning of the phrase. And I can't say if the GT versions actually perform better or worse than the Rain versions. My only point is that the fact that one is marketed as waterproof versus water resistant likely has nothing to do with performance. Certainly it might - Sidi may have performed some tests on numerous samples of both and feel comfortable labeling the GT ones as waterproof. But I really think it is simpler than that.

The patent on Goretex expired over a decade ago. Many companies have their of versions of it. So why is Goretex still so expensive? The Goretex warranty. It's a great warranty and it costs them lots of money replacing stuff. Replacing stuff that leaks. But that's the difference - if your Goretex Adventures leak, Gore will replace them. If your Rains leak, you will have to rely on Sidi who, depending on the leakage, can simply say they're only water-resistant.

That's a huge difference and an important one. But I would caution anybody buying boots that no boot can be truly waterproof. If for no other reason than materials in a boot or subject to incredible stresses and will eventually fail.

Maybe the GT versions are put together better and the membrane is better. I don't know. But I do't think that waterproof label is any indication of that.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I think if anybody thinks ANY boot will be totally waterproof and be that way forever will be disappointed. However, you can find numerous instances of leaky GT Adventures (and numerous instances of leaking Adventure Rains). So I don't think the GT ones are waterproof as in the plain meaning of the phrase. And I can't say if the GT versions actually perform better or worse than the Rain versions. My only point is that the fact that one is marketed as waterproof versus water resistant likely has nothing to do with performance. Certainly it might - Sidi may have performed some tests on numerous samples of both and feel comfortable labeling the GT ones as waterproof. But I really think it is simpler than that.

The patent on Goretex expired over a decade ago. Many companies have their of versions of it. So why is Goretex still so expensive? The Goretex warranty. It's a great warranty and it costs them lots of money replacing stuff. Replacing stuff that leaks. But that's the difference - if your Goretex Adventures leak, Gore will replace them. If your Rains leak, you will have to rely on Sidi who, depending on the leakage, can simply say they're only water-resistant.

That's a huge difference and an important one. But I would caution anybody buying boots that no boot can be truly waterproof. If for no other reason than materials in a boot or subject to incredible stresses and will eventually fail.

Maybe the GT versions are put together better and the membrane is better. I don't know. But I do't think that waterproof label is any indication of that.
My GoreTex™ boots are stand in calf-high water for as long as you want "waterproof". Will they fail with wear eventually? Sure. Everything does. This isn't news to me nor is it to anyone else.

The "Rain" versions aren't waterproof and never have been advertized as waterproof. Sidi isn't going to replace them because they leak because they know they will. That's how they were designed. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when they do.

You can rationalize it and speculate "Sidi may have" all you want, but when it comes down to it, they put a "waterproof" label on one boot and a "water-resistant" label on the other. It's interesting that the "water-resistant" boot has the most complaints about not being waterproof. Might lead one to believe that they're not waterproof.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Herr Bae M. Vae
Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer: 18
I once had a diving watch that was rated waterproof to 30 metres. First time I wore it swimming it leaked, fogged-up and stopped. When I took it back and asked about the waterproof to 30 metres the guy said, "Oh they mean like in the RAIN." I think this guy now works for Sidi.
Herr Bae M. Vae is offline   Reply With Quote