Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
PunkinHead OP
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,562
Store with helmet selection near McAllen/Mission?

I'm in the market for a new helmet and my local dealers don't carry anything I'm interested in. I'll be working in Reynosa for part of September and staying in McAllen. Are there any stores nearby that have a good helmet selection? I'm particularly interested in trying on the Shoei GT-Air.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
B00001
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
You may want to check out a new HJC RPHA helmet due out very soon, RPHA ST. One of the lightest internal sun visor helmets on the market at appx 1445 grams. The GT Air, 1700+ grams. RPHA is very similar construction/material wise. Not that anyone cares about price, but GTair $670, RPHA ST about $359.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
PunkinHead OP
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,562
I switched from Shoei to HJC around 1995 because they seemed to be made for the same head shape and were a bunch cheaper. I've probably bought 7 or 8 since then. I feel I've gotten my money's worth but they've all been too loud - and I always wear NRR 33 earplugs. The last couple have had buffeting problems, and on several, including my current one, one side of the visor popped out of the holder about half the time when I opened them. I found the same last week when I went looking for a new HJC helmet - about 1 in 4 that I tried in the store would pop off when I opened the visor. It's really irritating when you pull up to a stop light, crack the visor, then have to fumble with gloved hands to get it re-engaged. Unfortunately I can't get a test ride with a new helmet, but looking at new HJC helmets last week and noticing the lines & protrusions in the top of the helmet, the poor seal of the visors, and the way the padding doesn't seal well around the neck I figure I'd end up getting another noisy, buffeting helmet. It's time for me to try something higher end. The Shoei GT-Air gets great reviews but I want to try one on since I've been spoiled by how well HJC helmets fit me - I've never had a problem with pressure points. It'll kill me to pay 2x to 3x what I'm used to spending on a helmet, but I went through the same pain when I bought my first Aerostich jacket 17 years ago and my first pair of Held gloves 7 or 8 years ago but in both cases found it to be money well spent. I'm hoping a Shoei will be the same. Or maybe I'll just spend a bunch of money and be disappointed. We'll see.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I'm in the market for a new helmet and my local dealers don't carry anything I'm interested in. I'll be working in Reynosa for part of September and staying in McAllen. Are there any stores nearby that have a good helmet selection? I'm particularly interested in trying on the Shoei GT-Air.

Sorry...

It's a wasteland here.

I got my Arai's at Lonestar BMW in Austin. I really wanted a Shoei, which they had, but my head seems to be oblong so went for broke with the Arai's.

A friend swears by the Cycle Gear house brand; might want to check those out on your way here or elsewhere. I think I'll give 'em a go the next time I'm in the market.

I too had HJCs and although I really liked them, they are too noisy.

When are you due to be here in the area? PM if interested in meeting up.