Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
kemmer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
any Austin area willing to help an out of towner put together a "postie" adv bike?

Hey y`all, I'm came down here for work a couple weeks ago for a one to two month work gig, and made the mistake of flying down with no transportation other than a BMX bike (the only thing I had that I could cram in a suitcase) and carpooling to work. After one weekend stuck in the house without finding much of interest in BMX range, I immediately realized I needed to find something to putter on. As luck would have it, I stumbled on a trail 90 while working, and picked it up for a song! The plan was to use it for the few weeks I'll be here and flip it before I leave. Then I made the mistake of searching the forums for ct90 adventures, and Nathan's epic postie trip made the prospect of leaving it here and flying home seem like a very silly thing to do. Im losing sleep thinking about doing sections of the TAT and/ or shadow of the Rockies trails on my way back to Utah...

Heres where I could use a little help... I dont have any tools here, and I`d rather do a little prep before I go (props to Nathan for the way he did his trip, but im not half as ballsy!) Besides, sortly after bringin mine home, it promptly quit running. I think it just needs a valve adjustment and possibly new points. Id also liketo weld up some pannier racks, but thats a secondary consideration to getting the bike road worthy, obviously. Anybody want to let me spend an afternoon or two in thier workshop? I'll bring the beer!

kemmer screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 02:01 PM
kemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,263
Not worked on one of those before. But I have shop with welder and other fab equip. I am about 2 hours north of you
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,580
You can work on your bike at my house, but I will prolly be out of town this w/e. I don't have a truck, so you'll need to get it there somehow, or I can bring some basics to check\adjust the points and get it running. Shoot me an email. I live 6 miles north of downtown. A couple m/c shops nearby as well.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Oddometer: 180
I'm just about 7 miles south of downtown and you're welcome to use my garage as well. Should have you covered on all of the basic tools and I do like beer. Your 90 would look right at home next to my cb145.
ninjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
kemmer OP
Adventurer

Oh hell yeah, thanks guys! Im in wells branch, so it sounds like eric2 would be closest... I tried to get the timing cover and points cover off, but both have stripped screws and rather than risk making them worse. I think im gonna need an impact driver (the kind you smack with a hammer) any of you have one?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

I've been meaning to pick one up for a long time now, and still don't have one. Harbor Freight does, though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece...set-93481.html

Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,580
think i got one, i'll check whilst i'm changing tires in the cool evening air
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
kemmer OP
Adventurer

I'm close enough to harbor freight that it seemed like a no brainer to pop in and pick one up. It could come in handy on my trip home too, plus, 4 bucks! I paid quite a bit more for the one I have back home, but now I know why. After whacking a half dozen screws on this little postie, the driver is on it's way out. Still, 4 bucks got the bike apart so I can work on it so I can't complain too much. Here's the bad news, the bike still doesn't run, after adjusting the points, timing and valves and rebuilding the carb. I reckon tomorrow I'll borrow a compression tester from o'rielleys. I'd hoped it wouldn't come to this, but it looks like my first trip on this bike may be to Topendville. :-(
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemmer View Post
I'm close enough to harbor freight that it seemed like a no brainer to pop in and pick one up. It could come in handy on my trip home too, plus, 4 bucks! I paid quite a bit more for the one I have back home, but now I know why. After whacking a half dozen screws on this little postie, the driver is on it's way out. Still, 4 bucks got the bike apart so I can work on it so I can't complain too much. Here's the bad news, the bike still doesn't run, after adjusting the points, timing and valves and rebuilding the carb. I reckon tomorrow I'll borrow a compression tester from o'rielleys. I'd hoped it wouldn't come to this, but it looks like my first trip on this bike may be to Topendville. :-(
Harbor Freight has a compression gauge too! I have one if you need to borrow it.