User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
TARWOOD OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Change KTM 450 EXC on the KTM 125 EXC.

I like my KTM 450 EXC, but the problem is that I find it hard to manage them. What do you think, does it make sense to change the KTM 450 EXC for KTM 125 EXC 2t. Or I'm crazy?.
TARWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Depends on the trails you want to hit. If you want tight nasty the 125 would be better..
ct-ktm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,538
Is weight or power the issue? The two strokes are very light which makes them easy to handle on ugly trails. But they also hit pretty hard when they come on the pipe and still pack a lot of horsepower. I wouldn't jump on a KTM two stroke expecting mellow power delivery. I would think a 250 or 350 four stroke might be better if power is the issue.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,405
I have recently gone from a 200 exc to a 450 exc and am enjoying a bike that is easier to ride, none of the 2 stroke power hit and heaps of linear torque. I am a bit on the older side (57) so a lot of my reasoning has been to end up with a easier, more tractable bike to ride.
I haven't ridden the 450 in tight woods much yet but expect it to be a bit heavier to turn but less of a handfull for uphills and really gnarly situations. Just for reference I am an average trail rider here which means I ride expert sections but sometimes don't get through them, I am no competitive racer!
The 200 and 125's are seriously peaky bikes to ride, they require full concentration and a lot of input to get the best out of them, is that what you want? Lots of fun, but they require a real commitment to get the best out of them.
You need to elaborate on your reasoning for the change (it's a big one!), your riding ability and terrain you expect to ride so people can provide some relevant feedback.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,739
Ive never ridden a 125 smoker. But I really like my 300 2stroke. Lighter then the 450 4stroke and doesnt have the hard hit like a 2stroke motocross bike. The 300 is pretty tractable. The old magazines used to call the 300 a "3-stroke" because it sort of split the difference between a 2 and 4 strokes.

Goodluck, its hard to make a bad decision when you are on any good dirtbike (2 or 4 stroke)
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
The 125's are pretty pipey. I got the 200 it's not as mellow as a KDX but it's pretty easy to ride. It's def a cheater bike, but it's the same chassis and motor as the 125 so it turns like one which is awesome.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
TARWOOD OP
n00b

I ride only on the off road (European country cross or enduro race) and do not motocross. The problem is that when driving for 450 EXC I get tired very quickly and are often forced to stop the race due to the fact that I am struggling with the bike more than the food on it. Perhaps it is heavy for me or powerful.
300 2st may be too strong and harsh for me.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
TARWOOD OP
n00b

Thanks for your answers

I had not ridden a 2-stroke hard enduro. 300 2st may be too strong and harsh for me.
I ride only on the off road (European country cross or enduro race) and do not motocross. The problem is that when driving for 450 EXC I get tired very quickly and are often forced to stop the race due to the fact that I am struggling with the bike more than the ride on it. Perhaps, he is heavy for me or powerful.

TARWOOD screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 01:47 AM
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe you should try an EXC200 or 300 then. My MXC200 is barely over 200 pounds with a full dual sport kit on it including turn signals, a battery and mirrors installed. It is crazy fast but it has a bigger carb, different pipe and less flywheel weight than an EXC. So it runs like an MX bike. But it is the light weight that makes it magic on trails.

If the EXC hits too hard you can knock the top end power down and gain some grunt with an FMF Gnarly pipe for a bit over $200. I can promise you that leaving 50 or so extra pounds the four strokes carry in the garage is like magic on the trail. The penalty is more vibration, they drink gas and you have to mix the fuel. But they sure are fun.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
My first dirtbike was/is a Husaberg 650. It's a supermoto, so the lack of knobs makes it more forgiving off road. I ride it on rough rocky trails at times. I ride it with the dirt wheels also. It's not spit me off yet.

Two things have been instrumental in making it an easy bike to ride off road for a noob.

My throttle position sensor (TPS), is disconnected. It takes away some of the hit, and smoothes out the power delivery.
You can unplug yours if it's carburetted.

My accelerator pump has been permanently disabled, and the carb is jetted properly. It never has a bog or any issues with starting. Trail riding with constant on-off throttle, my bike doesent run on the squirt or dripple of the AP. I open the throttle from closed and it just goes without any drama or white knuckles.

It works like a carb is designed to work. It draws atomized fuel out of the bowl when you twist the throttle. The squirt of the AP can make a throttle an on/off switch.

So, you can reduce the duration of the AP squirt to around a half second and that might help.
If carbed, simply disconnect the TPS and that will help.
If you still need it to be friendlier, you can get a throttle cam that changes how fast the throttle is opened. They come with different cams inside the twist throttle for a slower or faster opening slide.

There's too much shifting needed with a 2T 125 in my opinion.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
over the last couple of years ive owned several KTm 450's, a husaberg 450, a 200, 250, and a 300 ktm.
I tried racing the 450 for a race(gncc) found it to be exhausting, tried racing my 09 husaberg 450(gncc)
and finally settled on a 250 wc to race on.
The 450's are great platforms for trail riding, but too much bike for racing(at least for me) i had an 06 200 last year, and really enjoyed it. a little pipey, but pretty controllable and super light. Swapped it out for an 07 300 (again, really good bike, luggged like a 4 stroke, but plenty of power when it hit.Still found the 300 to be a little tiring to ride in a race setting.
swapped it out for an 010 250 xc. Luggs almost as well as the 300, turns almost as well as the 200.Feels lighter and much more nimble than my 300 did (granted the 300 was the older chassis, 250 is newer) but i really like the power of the 250. I find it much less tirring to ride!
currently, ive got the 250, husaberg 450, and my 950. The husaberg seems to stay home most of the time, is i can get by without a plate, the 250 is so much fun!
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Maybe you should try an EXC200 or 300 then. My MXC200 is barely over 200 pounds with a full dual sport kit on it including turn signals, a battery and mirrors installed. It is crazy fast but it has a bigger carb, different pipe and less flywheel weight than an EXC. So it runs like an MX bike. But it is the light weight that makes it magic on trails.
The MXC and EXC share the same pipe, carb and flywheel/stator. It wasn't until 2007 they switched the PWK36 and changed the pipe.

Quote:
If the EXC hits too hard you can knock the top end power down and gain some grunt with an FMF Gnarly pipe for a bit over $200.
Overkill. 5 dollars on a straight taper needle completely changes the bike. The NOZ series needles they come with are to rich at lower throttles. So the plug loads up so you jump on the gas and the plug starts to clear up right around when it comes onto the pipe and it feels like it has a huge hit. Check out the CCK or DDK. I like the CCK allot the DDK has a bit more of the hit.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

What it take to intice you to make trip to my garage because I have been struggling with the jetting? None of the needles or jets I have tried clean up the midrange.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
What it take to intice you to make trip to my garage because I have been struggling with the jetting? None of the needles or jets I have tried clean up the midrange.
Not much :)

What needles have you tried?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Went to PM.