Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Overland Journal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Overland Journal Updates

From the Editor | Chris Collard

Spring is perhaps my favorite time of year. By now I've usually had my share of snowy overland treks and shedding layers of winter gear before crawling into my sleeping bag; my thoughts shift towards slipping on my Tevas and shorts, and heading for America's Outback or the warm and inviting climes of Baja, Mexico. By spring we've also planned most of the upcoming gear reviews and adventure stories we'll be featuring and this always inspires me to pull out the maps to start planning my next trip.

I'm excited about the upcoming Spring issue. Jimmy Chin, an award-winning photographer, a regular contributor to National Geographic and Outside, and the only guy I know of to ski from the summit of Mount Everest (and live), is contributing to Overland Journal for the first time. He's long been one of my favorite photographers. This month Jimmy is sharing with us his epic overland trek and climbing expedition in the Ennedi Desert in Chad, Africa. I'd never heard of the Ennedi, but I've since found myself daydreaming about, well, how to get there.

Next up is one of the overland community's emerging explorers, Ros Woodham, who penned In Search of the Northern Lights and Spring Tracks in the Pyrenees. In this issue she takes us on a trek through Morocco in her Land Rover Santana.

Finally, Dr. Jon S. Solberg, our Overland Medicine guru, and New Mexico Backroad's Jake Quinones, lead us on a million-dollar treasure hunt north of Santa Fe in search of Forrest Fenn's buried booty. It's a great read, and fodder for any adventurer of the Southwest. Will they be cashing in their fortunes and retiring soon? You'll need to read Southwest Treasure Hunt to find out.

If you're a rider and have been contemplating a new full-sized adventure bike, I suggest you wait until you read our multi-month test of six of the newest offerings in the genre from BMW, KTM, Triumph, and Yamaha. Our findings may surprise you.

Circling around back to maps and planning for summer treks in the backcountry, this issue's Classic Kit chronicles the history of maps and the founding fathers of the art of cartography. After all, if there were no maps, where would we be?

Cheers,

Chris

Spring 2014

"I ended up in the Ennedi Desert the same way I've ended up in a lot of very strange places and situations around the world-with a call from friend and big wall climber Mark Synnott asking me if I wanted join him on his next expedition. Despite my better judgment, I've always said yes." - Jimmy Chin [Read More]

Testing the Best Adventure Motorcycles

"While many "adventure" riders want a touring bike that looks adventurous, I believe true backcountry performance is one of the most important attributes." - Scott Brady [Read More]

The Simple Things

"He seemed impressed with our bartering skills and invited us to share a freshly baked Berber pizza: flatbread stuffed with meat, herbs, and onion. It was delicious. However, when I spotted something resembling an eyeball I politely declined a second slice." - Ros Woodham [Read More]

Best of Breed: Portable Power Packs

"Like little electronic jerry cans, power packs have become an integral part of our travels. Over the course of the past year, we tested dozens of power packs in real world scenarios selecting these six as the Best in Breed." - Christophe Noel [Read More]

Field Tested: James Baroud Evasion Evolution RTT

Twenty years is a long time to develop, test, and refine a product line, but that's how long James Baroud has spent creating what many believe are the finest hard shell rooftop tents in the world. A native of France and an avid overlander, he believed many of the rooftop tents on the market were simply inadequate. They were either too delicate to endure the riggers of true overland travel, or lacked the features and appointments he felt all overlanders deserved. The culmination of his experience on the road, and the manifestation of his advanced vision, his Evasion Evolution rooftop tent is nothing short of exceptional. [Read More]

Subscribe Now
If you subscribe my march 21st this issue will be included with your subscription Subscribe to Overland Journal

The publication for environmentally responsible, worldwide vehicle-supported expedition and adventure travel.
Overland Journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Overland Journal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Sale!

Complete your collection! We are now running a Fall archive sale. Assorted back issues are only $10 and the 2012 and 2013 Field Sets are only $45. The archive sale runs from September 22 - 26 and is only available to customers in the United States and Canada. As a special bonus to our forum friends, we are also offering FREE SHIPPING; just enter this code at checkout- FEOP65357X0C

http://store.overlandjournal.com/back-issues/
Attached Images

The publication for environmentally responsible, worldwide vehicle-supported expedition and adventure travel.
Overland Journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 467
Is this available at the newsstand? I don't get mail very well.
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote