Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
moist OP
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
the 787 flies!

Today in Fairbanks!

Beginning the cold weather testing!

It is moving slowly but at least it is moving.

Now if the testing moves along without to many troubles ..... hopeful!

moist screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 10:52 PM
moist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
drewbuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
LETS GET IT GOIN'!
Totaled Bikes: 04 XR650L
drewbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 750
I dont get it... whats it for? Is it bigger than a 777? Is it faster? Not being a dick, I just dont get what this plane is for? Replacing an older model perhaps?
tattewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #4
moist OP
Thaumaturgist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
I dont get it... whats it for? Is it bigger than a 777? Is it faster? Not being a dick, I just dont get what this plane is for? Replacing an older model perhaps?
It is the most revolutionary heavy aircraft in 100 years. It is mostly composite.
Quote:
The Boeing 787 Dreamliner is a long-range, mid-size, wide-body, twin-engine jet airliner developed by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. It seats 210 to 330 passengers, depending on the variant. Boeing states that it is the company's most fuel-efficient airliner and the world's first major airliner to use composite materials for most of its construction.[3] The 787 consumes 20% less fuel than the similarly-sized Boeing 767.[4] Some of its distinguishing features include a four-panel windshield, noise-reducing chevrons on its engine nacelles, and a smoother nose contour.

The aircraft's initial designation 7E7 was changed to 787 in January 2005.[5] The first 787 was unveiled in a roll-out ceremony on July 8, 2007, at Boeing's Everett assembly factory, by which time it had become the fastest-selling wide-body airliner in history with 677 orders.[6] By February 2011, 847 Boeing 787s had been ordered by 56 customers.[7] As of 2011, launch customer All Nippon Airways has the largest number of 787s on order.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 871
RE: What's it for?

Faster, more fuel efficient, long range, more comfortable for passengers.

She will cruise at a very high, subsonic mach number. So, on a flight from Tokyo to Los Angeles, she cuts over an hour of flight time.

The cabin altitude is lower than any other airliner. So, you won't have the same issues with dry sinus and such on the flight. You will be more comfortable, more moisture in the cabin, less altitude related issues.

She burns less fuel. Better for the bottom line and the environment.

The cabin will have state-of-the-art infotainment and storage and comfort items.

The windows are bigger and have electronic dimming instead of a pull-down shade.

Just some of the reasons why this will be a revolutionary aircraft.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
My neighbor helps put these together. I've heard horror stories about quality problems - especially with regards to the parts from suppliers. I won't be flying in one for a few years.

I saw one fly a few weeks ago out of Boeing field. It is interesting to watch the wings bend, and it does accelerate/gain altitude faster than you would expect from a plane of that size.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
I help put these together, and would have no worries getting on one tomorrow.

It's a beautiful plane.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
i hope nobody gets hurt :-D
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,912
I just hope those engineers know what they're doing...composite has always struck me as something that doesn't withstand repeated flexing stresses very well but I suppose there are all kinds of composites I know nothing about.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
Faster, more fuel efficient, long range, more comfortable for passengers.

She will cruise at a very high, subsonic mach number. So, on a flight from Tokyo to Los Angeles, she cuts over an hour of flight time.

The cabin altitude is lower than any other airliner. So, you won't have the same issues with dry sinus and such on the flight. You will be more comfortable, more moisture in the cabin, less altitude related issues.

She burns less fuel. Better for the bottom line and the environment.

The cabin will have state-of-the-art infotainment and storage and comfort items.

The windows are bigger and have electronic dimming instead of a pull-down shade.

Just some of the reasons why this will be a revolutionary aircraft.

I'll believe it when I see it. My money is on most airlines cramming people in like sardines, like they do on every other airframe, to squeeze more money out of the deal.

I've seen a 737-400 that was more comfortable than my home, but it's all about how you lay out the interior. Just because they can doesn't mean they will.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. My money is on most airlines cramming people in like sardines, like they do on every other airframe, to squeeze more money out of the deal.

I've seen a 737-400 that was more comfortable than my home, but it's all about how you lay out the interior. Just because they can doesn't mean they will.

Very true. I work for a leading aircraft interior manufacturer.
It's all about the layout the carriers want... :-(
Old 02-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
They were flying down in my neck of the......desert last summer, flew by three times that day, low and with the gear down, surprisingly quiet.
Good looking bird too!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
debueller
Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer: 834
I, for one, hope the 787 and the planes built by Boeing to follow it are very successful.

My pension relies on it..........
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

Giddyap saddle.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
moist OP
Thaumaturgist

Composite technology has been in play for decades (for example) flight surfaces on even considerably old 737's. Even the wing on many fighters have been of a composite design. The flexing ability shouldn't be a concern, to me the repair methods are. Having been in the line maintenance environment for almost 40 years, it is imperative an insitu line repair method/technique for many structural dings is provided to customers (airlines) and that line maintenance personnel are properly trained. This is the largest concern I have with an all composite airframe and with the normal harried flight schedules required to keep making money, utilizing extremely short ground times for repairs.

Even today line repairs of composite flight surfaces is only completed in a clean and stable environment. A small ding (read very common) could spell disaster in revenue generation or safety.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: